PDA

View Full Version : hey is the only way

Jessie2741
09-06-2008, 10:02 PM
to make your engine a 2.5 to do a engine swap?
if it is let me know ill start saving upp lol

cooljess76
09-06-2008, 10:03 PM
seriously?

1996 328ti
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure. I think there is someone here who bored out the motor.
Not sure if brought it to a 2.5 though.

Jessie2741
09-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure. I think there is someone here who bored out the motor.
Not sure if brought it to a 2.5 though.
ohh what do youmean by bored out?

Jessie2741
09-06-2008, 10:13 PM
seriously?

sadlyyes ok we were talking about cars in school and some new kid that came from arizona was like yeaaa ijust converted my 1.8l to a 2.5 and we were all laughing calling bullpoop soi wannad to know if there was lol hey it would be awsome if you could

1996 328ti
09-06-2008, 10:16 PM
It ain't cheap.
It would probably be cheaper to do a swap.
Are we talking BMW?

Might want to read this.
http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdfs/metric-mechanic-m42-and-m44-engine-booklet.pdf

cooljess76
09-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Why 2.5L? First of all, what year is your car? If you plan on keeping it registered as a daily driver in California, you'll have to get a motor from a same year or newer car. So since BMW switched to the 2.8L M52 in '96 when everything changed to OBD2, a 2.5L M50 engine will only work if your car is a '95 since it's OBD1. Now there's been people who have converted from OBD2 to OBD1, but it's illegal in California unless your car was OBD1 to begin with. So if your car is a '95, I'd understand your reasoning for going with an M50, but if it's '96 or newer, you're looking in the wrong direction. You'll need an M52 from the same year or newer. I'm sure you know there's other options, such as the s50 or s52, but honestly, it doesn't seem like this is a project you should take on by yourself.

Jessie2741
09-06-2008, 10:21 PM
It ain't cheap.
It would probably be cheaper to do a swap.
Are we talking BMW?

Might want to read this.
http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdfs/metric-mechanic-m42-and-m44-engine-booklet.pdf

wow then it must besupper expensive lol isnt a swap around 6k?

cooljess76
09-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Oh geez, nevermind. Yeah Steven, people have done stroker engines with these, but the largest I've seen them go was 2.1 or 2.2L. It would definitely be cheaper to swap an m50/52 into the car.

Jessie2741
09-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Why 2.5L? First of all, what year is your car? If you plan on keeping it registered as a daily driver in California, you'll have to get a motor from a same year or newer car. So since BMW switched to the 2.8L M52 in '96 when everything changed to OBD2, a 2.5L M50 engine will only work if your car is a '95 since it's OBD1. Now there's been people who have converted from OBD2 to OBD1, but it's illegal in California unless your car was OBD1 to begin with. So if your car is a '95, I'd understand your reasoning for going with an M50, but if it's '96 or newer, you're looking in the wrong direction. You'll need an M52 from the same year or newer. I'm sure you know there's other options, such as the s50 or s52, but honestly, it doesn't seem like this is a project you should take on by yourself.

no i wont be doing it myself
my cuzins boyfriend is a bmw certefied mechanic and hes always working on the side and i hated him 4 a wile then i actually sawwhis work and hes really good and he told me to swap my engine out and he will do it for the fun of it meaning free haha i just need the parts lol

Jessie2741
09-06-2008, 10:31 PM
well my cars a 1998 318ti
and thanx you guys for answering my dumb questions

roadrash
09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
The only dumb questions are the ones that have been answered many times before and could have been found by searching this forum.

If you want to know about engine swaps for the 318ti, go to the Engine Swap sub-forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26) and start reading.

BTW... some of us old farts here are big fans of punctuation and correct spelling. We and also appreciate it when people at least make an effort to use coherent grammar. :biggrin:

BMW_Hatchback
09-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't believe anyone will do a swap for fun or free for someone else, but if he means it, than he must be a saint. Aint that much fun until its all about done.

1996 328ti
09-06-2008, 11:02 PM
BTW... some of us old farts here are big fans of punctuation and correct spelling. We and also appreciate it when people at least make an effort to use coherent grammar. :biggrin:+1

elchicano
09-06-2008, 11:55 PM
BTW... some of us old farts here are big fans of punctuation and correct spelling. We and also appreciate it when people at least make an effort to use coherent grammar. :biggrin:

I'm not an old fart, but i too was getting annoyed. It was like he was to excited to actually space some words out.:biggrin:

But yeah do some research the more you the better.

roadrash
09-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm not an old fart
All in due time, my boy... all in due time. LOL

But yeah do some research the more you _____ the better.
Shouldn't there be a verb in there? OK, I promise this will be my last OT post in this thread, but... I just had a flashback of Gene Rayburn on Match Game. LOL

Philly
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
forumdisplay.php?f=26"]

lol :tongue:

I love people who make posts about peoples grammer, then mess up their own post... hehehe <3 rashy

PS. we need some kind of screening when new members sign up... god some people are just stupid.

tiFreak
09-07-2008, 07:19 PM
lol :tongue:

I love people who make posts about peoples grammer (grammar), then mess up their own post... hehehe <3 rashy

PS. we need some kind of screening when new members sign up... God, some people are just stupid.

he's old, his mind is going :rolleyes: you on the other hand have no excuse for spelling grammar wrong, not capitalizing the word "God" which, religious nature aside, is a proper noun, and forgetting a comma :tongue:

Philly
09-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I never claimed to be a grammer guru. I was just correcting an obvious misplaced "and".

on a side note, I don't believe in god... and I quit high school in grade 10, save me jeebus.

tiFreak
09-07-2008, 07:44 PM
I never claimed to be a grammer guru. I was just correcting an obvious misplaced "and".

oh, my mistake :)

elchicano
09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
haha So what I missed a word but at least you guys knew what I meant to say. Grammar has gone down the drain with all this text messaging anyway.:biggrin:

roadrash
09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
I love people who make posts about peoples grammer, then mess up their own post... hehehe <3 rashy
LMAO... damn... good catch! You may not believe it from that one post, but any time I'm going to pick on someone's "English skills" I make sure to read my post several times. I guess I should have read that one at least once more, huh? LOL

However, I'm going to call that extraneous "and" an editing error rather than a grammar error. :-) But, since I also pride my self in my editing skills, I'm still embarrassed. heh heh

Since I promised to not be off-topic here again, I'll refrain from addressing the issue of "god/God." :biggrin: