PDA

View Full Version : How to program a new key fob

anthonyl
09-08-2008, 04:53 AM
If your short a key fob or lost yours this is a cheap way to replace it. I purchased my fob on ebay for $30 and programmed it myself.

**Read all the way through. The last line is important.**

1. Make sure all doors, hood and trunk are closed.

2. Open the trunk door.

3. Open the drivers door and sit in the drivers seat.

4. Close the drivers door.

5. Turn ignition switch to on and off 5 times ending in off.(do not start the car turn to just before starting)
Your alarm light will turn on and the siren on the alarm will chirp to let you know it is ready.
(this can also be used to test if you have the alarm)

6. Open the drivers door stay in the seat close the drivers door.

7. Press any button on the remote. The light will flash to indicate your remote has been programmed.

8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 to program any other remotes, up to 4 remotes a car.

9. To exit program mode open drivers door leave the door open. Close the trunk lid and close the drivers door the
siren should chirp again and the red light will shut off. Test your remotes to make sure they work right.

******Note all the steps from 2 - 5 must be done within 45 seconds. Step 5 must be done within 10 seconds.

And there ya have it, as simple as that.

Information was taken from: http://programyourremote.com/

spidertri
09-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm pretty sure this procedure only works for the later model 2 button remote. Not sure about the earlier 3 button one.

But yeah, I also bought a remote off of ebay for like $30, procedure worked like a charm.

Bozola
01-24-2009, 06:37 PM
It worked! :redface:
________
marijuana dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org/)

b-rad
02-02-2009, 08:34 AM
It worked! :redface:
Do you have the 2 or 3 button remote? I need to do this, but i require the 3 button remote..

wolferj-RIP
02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Do you have the 2 or 3 button remote? I need to do this, but i require the 3 button remote..

This is the procedure for the later model setup (96+ w/ 2 button remote). I have ordered a replacement 3 button remote and will attempt to program it with these instructions;

"BMW factory keyless alarm unit installed on cars up through August 1995. This controller works with the three-button remote. The alarm controller is programmed to work with a specific remote by synchronizing the small chip in the remote to the alarm unit. Open up the alarm remote, and carefully remove the small chip (red arrow, lower right inset). Then pull out the alarm unit from your car, leaving the main wire harness attached. Insert the chip from the remote into the connector in the unit (blue arrow). Then turn on the ignition, and press the reset button for at least 10 seconds (green arrow). The red alarm indicator on your center console should flash, indicating that the codes have been read and accepted. Turn off the ignition, reinstall the chip in your remote, and test it—it should work! "

quoted from here;

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/101-Projects-92-Alarm-Install/101-Projects-92-Alarm-Install.htm

I will post up on my experience when I attempt it...

wolferj-RIP
02-02-2009, 10:48 PM
The above instructions worked perfectly! If you have any question (like I did) regarding whether your factory alarm is the earlier unit or the later unit, here are the #'s for the earlier 3 button alarm system which was installed in e36's with production dates of 8/95 and earlier;

(as Dave noted below, there are always exceptions to the rules. Such as an earlier style alarm installed in a later production car. My car was not shipped with the alarm system, but was most likely added by the dealer as an upsell or by the request of the purchaser, as it is OEM. So your results may vary:smile:)

the FCC ID# for the 3 button system Alarm Brain is #A269ZUA070 and the remote FCC ID# is A269ZUA071.

PM me if you have any auestions!

Good luck...

pdxmotorhead
02-03-2009, 08:42 AM
My 10/95 has the early style with the chip inside, the alarm box has a matching chip.

Dave

HuGo
04-01-2009, 09:28 AM
I just tried doing this and it didn't work. My car is a 5/96 and I bought a 2 button remote. I didn't hear any chirp or the remote light up or anything :frown:

performanceisland
04-01-2009, 01:31 PM
I just tried doing this and it didn't work. My car is a 5/96 and I bought a 2 button remote. I didn't hear any chirp or the remote light up or anything :frown:

is it a 2 button remote? if so replace the battery, the remote light shoudl light when any of the two buttons is pressed unless the battery is dead, the above procedure does work, sometimes it takes a few times to do it, as there are time limits on the steps, and sometimes we simple do the wrong thing, then you have to start over.

HuGo
04-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I took out the glove box to get to the box (keyless entry). In pelican parts it says to disconnect to disarm the system. Should I leave it disconnected and try the procedure? Or connect back on and do the procedure? I was doing the steps fine from 5x on and off and open close door. I didnt even hear that chirp :frown:

wolferj-RIP
04-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Hugo, I think you should go ahead and disconnect the system, wait a few minutes, reconnect it, then try again... also make sure the alarm fuse is good...

HuGo
04-02-2009, 12:21 AM
I disconnected it and reconnected it. Fuses are good. Alarm button has battery. Still didnt programmed.

wolferj-RIP
04-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Damn, that sucks... I cannot think why it isn't working.. Sorry.

HuGo
04-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Just to throw it out there...does the engine/ecu swap have anything to do with it? And obviously by trunk they mean hatch right?

wolferj-RIP
04-02-2009, 01:59 AM
Yes, the hatch is the trunk in this case...

As for the ecu swap, I doubt that it could be the issue, but who knows... obviously something is preventing this from working. Maybe try a whole system reboot... disconnect the battery for 15 minutes maybe?

Sorry, I'm out of suggestions...

HuGo
04-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm going to try disconnecting the battery. Positive or negative comes off? If that doesn't do anything then I'm just going to sell my remote and get my money back.

performanceisland
04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
this worked fine on my 99ti but on my 97ti with m3 conversion it didnt work, in fact i am about to buy another computer alram to try, smae thing no chirps, maybe it is the engine conversion? maybe we shoudl ask if anyone here with an engine conversion has the factory alarm working?

HuGo
04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I wonder if that needs to be calibrated too.

RedDog
04-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I just bought a 318ti and I have a question about the alarm. My ti did not come with any remotes and it was produced early 1996. I read somewhere that late '95 or early '96 they switched from three too two button remotes. Thus I have a question for people with two button remotes, do they just have the flashing light or do they have the "motion detector" too. My 1995 M3 has both with a three button remote and I have seen pictures of newer tis with no "motion detector." Thank you for your help.

WaltDeluna
05-28-2009, 12:45 AM
An added twist: I tried this process on my 1996 2 button remote system and it didn't work with a new fob. But then I noticed I could lock and arm the car with the old, working fob with the trunk open. The hatch switch was bad, it both turns on the trunk light and tells the alarm system the hatch status. I replaced the hatch switch and the procedure worked fine! So if the procedure doesn't work, check your door and hatch switches. Side issue: the online circuit schematics I was directed to have the hatch switch (S61y) action wrong on page 6575.2-00 but correct on page 6320.0-01. The switch poles are open when the hatch is closed. I don't have the Bentley manual to see if it has it right or wrong.
One amusing discovery: If you pull lightly on the hatch switch plunger when the hatch is open it will turn off the trunk light. It will reset to normal operation the next time you close the hatch. I owned (another) ti for 12 years and never knew this. I should check the owner's manual, is it there?

aznlonewolf135
05-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Can I get a make and model on the universal key fob you guys bought for your car?

WaltDeluna
05-28-2009, 04:59 AM
I was programming a BMW remote from my previous, totalled ti. All three of my remotes are BMW part # 82 11 1 469 448. Other contributors have claimed they show up on eBay for about $40. A quick search for "BMW keyless remote" showed several.

HuGo
05-29-2009, 03:39 AM
I'll sell my remote if anyone wants to buy it. $40 shipped. (what I paid).

713bmw318ti
06-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Just programmed a remote I bought off ebay...worked on the first try.

sokat1989
08-22-2009, 06:58 PM
What if i Bought the remote and when it came in i wen up to step 5 only to find out that my car doesn't have an alarm. what now?:frown:

Is it still possible to install the system? if so how? do i need to purchase the alarm module or something like that?

tiFreak
08-23-2009, 12:28 AM
all ti's came prewired for the alarm system so you should just be able to buy a kit I think

RedDog
08-23-2009, 12:46 AM
I have personally not tried to program a two button remote, but from what I understand the process is kind of tricky. The reason I say this is you might want to make sure that you don't have the alarm system before you buy the rest of the parts. Do you have a red light near the ash tray? Is your car an active package? What year Ti is it, could be a 3 button like mine? TiFreak should be right, your car is prewired for it and should have a circle decal in the trunk showing it is. The kit usually includes the computer (which goes under the glove box), the horn, and a light to let you know the alarm is active if I remember correctly.

sokat1989
08-23-2009, 03:04 AM
I have personally not tried to program a two button remote, but from what I understand the process is kind of tricky. The reason I say this is you might want to make sure that you don't have the alarm system before you buy the rest of the parts. Do you have a red light near the ash tray? Is your car an active package? What year Ti is it, could be a 3 button like mine? TiFreak should be right, your car is prewired for it and should have a circle decal in the trunk showing it is. The kit usually includes the computer (which goes under the glove box), the horn, and a light to let you know the alarm is active if I remember correctly.

it is a sport package ti (style 18 wheels, M side moldings, sport bumper, sport side skirts, M3 like front bumper sport suspension.)
I tried to get the alarm chirp but nothing happened.
the only red light I can see in on my stock head unit.
i even took out the glove box to see behind it and I could see and open compartment on top like something fits there. i will check for a red light near the ashtray. are there any other ways to make sure it really doesnt have an alarm?

RedDog
08-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Sokat1989, the only other thing that I can think of is to check your engine bay at the front of the passenger side to see if there is a horn/siren for the car alarm. It should be in front of the washer fluid in the corner. It is black and looks like any car alarm siren. If it has it, than at least at some point your car had the alarm.

FLJayson318
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
MISSION: USED KEYFOB TRANSFER

Thanks... never had a keyfob before now... I found out i needed a 3 button keyfob and waited till someone posted here selling one. Waited a month... saw one, purchased it, then programmed it on my lunch break :)

MISSION STATUS: SUCCESS

thanks 318ti.org

pdxmotorhead
09-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Please document the year model of the car and the part number of the remote.

Good info to have around!

Dave

JonnyM
09-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I have tried this around 3 times now and it wont work! Whats the bit behind the glove box that has the switch? Has anyone got a pic of what it should look like so i can go have a look, pleeeeeeease.:tongue:

HuGo
09-13-2009, 11:06 PM
OMG! I got two new remotes and nothing! I do step 1 thru 5. I do the ignition thing and I see no red light anywhere and I don't hear no chirp! WTF?!

HuGo
11-30-2009, 12:29 AM
A new key fob...and still no results. This is like the 4th one.

RedDog
11-30-2009, 02:13 AM
I noticed under your information that this is a 6 cylinder car. I am not sure if that affects it at all, but I do not see why it would. Also mine is a early 1996 and has the three button controller, even though most literature says it should be a two button. Have you checked behind the glovebox to look at the Alarm control unit. If there is a small door that you can open with an empty chip location under the door than it is a three button.

HuGo
11-30-2009, 02:30 AM
I used to have a remote for it and it was a 2-button. But that remote got messed up. When I would put a new battery the light stayed lit up and eventually die out.

pdxmotorhead
11-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Some "2 button" after market remotes are like Microsoft mice, you get button 3 (panic) by hitting both buttons at the same time...

Dave

HuGo
11-30-2009, 07:37 AM
its OEM remotes

pdxmotorhead
11-30-2009, 07:58 AM
I've seen several versions, the Alpine (Like my 95) came mostly in the 3 button version but I've met guys with 2 button BMW stamped Alpine remotes as well. Maybe its just the 95's?

Dave

sawntee
12-28-2010, 01:10 AM
i followed the instructions. they never worked. but i never gave up. it took me a while. but i succeeded. follow instructions..

***OPEN ALL DOORS, HOOD, AND TRUNK***

1. CLOSE ALL DOORS, HOOD, AND TRUNK.

2. OPEN TRUNK DOOR.

3. OPEN DRIVERS DOOR, AND SIT IN DRIVERS SEAT.

4 CLOSE DRIVERS DOOR.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

im pretty sure most people did not open everything then closed it.. atleast thats what i didnt do. then i decided to try it out. i heard a chirp then got all excited. and yea.. =)

///m-power
02-25-2011, 06:33 AM
how do i know what key to buy if i have a 1998 318ti sport?

Marv17
02-25-2011, 07:59 AM
in my alarm i just turn the key off and on to the 2 point (not turning on the car) like 5 or 6 times and it chripped, then i pushed the lock button (with all doors closed). try that.

spykejones
04-28-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a 2 button remote $40 shipped. Pm me. I need 3 button not 2.

curtdfw
06-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Well, I'm totally confused -- I have a '96 (built 2/96) AT. Did all the 318ti cars come with keyless remote? I have a central locking system (functional), if that's any help. The one OEM key I got with the car has the little roundel light button, but that's it. Would like to add the keyless, but it's not clear if I need the 2 or the 3 button version...

spykejones
07-10-2011, 04:01 PM
I acquired another 2 button key fob if anyone is interested. $40 shipped. Pm me.

active20082009
12-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Hugo
I have the same probleme , u had trying to program the key fob I got from ebay for my 1996 318ti hatch back, I did all what was posted here ,but no result . Will uou plz tell me if u resolved ur case , my fod fcc id is A269ZUA111 and the Alarm fcc id is A269ZUA110 . Can anyone help ? Thank you

teetime4one
12-16-2011, 01:59 AM
i know that on my 1995 i had to access the alarm box under the dash on the passenger side and put the chip from the fob into the slot and push the red button...there is a lttle door on the alarm box that i opened to find the slot for the chip...the light flashed and it was set to the car. i'm not sure about other years tho...only my 1995.
good luck

active20082009
12-16-2011, 03:56 AM
I have a 1996 ti , the alarm box dose not have a chip . Trying to program the key fob and the systeme with the fcc id I posted before , is a pure disaster. I have tryed most everything , plz shoot me some ideas other then go to the dealer :smile:

wolferj-RIP
12-16-2011, 04:01 AM
You have a 2 button remote, so there is no chip. The posted procedure has worked in the past, so unsure why it wouldn't work.

Only thing I think it could be is one of your door switches isn't working properly?

active20082009
12-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Probably , because before I trashed my olf remote , I used to lock the system even if the trunk is open . should I replace the trunk switch? Thank you guys for helping

active20082009
12-16-2011, 04:11 AM
I ment old remote

trikzta
12-16-2011, 03:57 PM
so i bought 2 remotes and tried programing them and didnt work, the trunk switch is the biggest culprit in these situations, mine was faulty it can also be the trim in the bottom rear around the trunk where the switch makes contact, that part wears out over time, i tried puttin a penny wrapped in some painters tape and tped it to the trim with sum duct tape and well it looked ugly, tried it with the old switch and didnt work, bought a new switch and thought the switch wasnt working but before i tried calling the seller i re taped the wrapped penny to the trim and worked great, programmed the Fob and both work now. after i figured out my problem i used some resin to fill the little mark the old switch dug over time and then sprayed it black and now it looks like new

active20082009
12-18-2011, 08:25 PM
You guys are the best ,
I finally did mess with the trunk switch , I did fix it for the moment ,and the programing did work on the first try . Now I have a new key fob :smile:
Dose any of you guys know where I can by a new trunk switch?
its for a 1996 ,318 ti hatch back . I couldn t find it on ebay.
Thanks again

trikzta
12-18-2011, 09:23 PM
i bought mine in getbmwparts.com it was like 12$ pluus 5 shipping something like that , i believe this is the part number 61318360464

active20082009
12-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Thank you for the info , I went to the website I think the part n is accurate but there are no picture or info about the switch , I want to make sure before I place the order . Is there a way to find more delail on that website ?
Thank you

trikzta
12-18-2011, 11:04 PM
well the part number is as accurate as you will get, there are a few swthes that look exactly the same so yeah thats the reason for part numbers, if you want to double check go to RealOem.com and put that part number it will tell you wat it is. or you can look for any part number you desire there by finding the picture, if i had the reciept i would double check the part number but i lost it, but that part number i got it from realoem GL

active20082009
12-20-2011, 11:40 PM
trikzta , I apreciate your help and all of you guys here , I did fix my trunk switch and the new remote is working like a champ with the alarm . The dealer wanted 125/h , and they said the minimum is 80 plus if its easy fix .lets keep up the good work and stay away from tthose burglers

jjannull
12-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Thought I would jump in here - I found a bunch of fob programming instructions:

To program the key fob for the early model BMW 3 series including the 318 you have to
start with all doors, trunk and hood closed.
(these aren't mine, they were all found here http://programcarremotes.com/bmw/bmw-3-series/1998-bmw-3-series-remote-programming/ - I think they have other model years as well)

There are several different methods to try for the BMW 3Series so you may have to try more
than one. TIP – if one method fails the first time, try it a second time before moving on
to a new method as they can be tricky to get the steps right

METHOD ONE
Step one – Open the Trunk

Step two – get in the drivers side of the vehicle and close the door

Step three – insert the key into the ignition and turn it ‘ON’ and ‘OFF’ five times ending in the ‘OFF’ position.

Your car should indicate that it is ready for programming by emitting a loud ‘chirp’ noise.

Step four – open and close the drivers door (but stay in the seat)

Step five – press any button on the key fob.

The light should flash indicating that programming has been succesful

Step six – repeat steps three and four again for other remotes your wish to program.

Step seven – when you have finished programming key fobs, leave the door open, get out and close the trunk and then close the drivers door.

Your car should indicate that it has completed programming mode by emitting another loud ‘chirp’ noise.

METHOD TWO

Step one – get in the drivers side of the vehicle and close the door

Step two – insert the key into the ignition and turn it ‘ON’ and ‘OFF’ five times ending in the ‘OFF’ position.

Step three – remove the key from the ignition and hold down the UNLOCK button for 15 seconds while pressing the LOCK button three times rapidly.

Step four – release both buttons

Your car should indicate that the key fob has been programmed by cycling the door locks.

METHOD THREE

this method requires at least one working key fob. If it doesn’t work the first time switch the order of the keys.

Step one – get in the drivers side of the vehicle and close the door

Step two – insert the key into the ignition and turn it quickly from ‘ON’ to ‘OFF’. All the rest of the steps MUST occur in 30 seconds or less.

Step three – remove key #1 and hold it up near the roof on the drivers side by your shoulder (this is where the reciever is located)

Step four – hold down the UNLOCK button for 15 seconds while pressing the LOCK button three times rapidly.

Step five – release the unlock button

Your car should indicate that the key fob has been programmed by cycling the door locks.

Step six – repeat step three, four, five fast for key #2.

bmwjesse
10-10-2014, 12:08 AM
I tried the usual steps mentioned for programming an exact replacement remote for my 1998 318TI. No luck. I know the alarm works since the old remote is not in the best of shape but I got it to chirk to unlock the system(circuit board in the remote is dying). Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Jesse:confused:

BlackBMWs
10-10-2014, 02:31 AM
I tried the usual steps mentioned for programming an exact replacement remote for my 1998 318TI. No luck. I know the alarm works since the old remote is not in the best of shape but I got it to chirk to unlock the system(circuit board in the remote is dying). Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Jesse:confused:

Is yours a two or three button remote? :cool:

bmwjesse
10-10-2014, 03:47 AM
Mine is a two button remote. A long time ago I had a short in the hatchback alarm module that caused it to go off radomly and it was removed. It didnt seem to affect my existing fob for alarming the car.

///msport
02-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Hi all, first post for me on what may be the oldest 318ti thread... I'm hoping this thread is still alive in some form...

I'm from NZ and have a similar problem regarding key fob programming... just thought I'd check what the audience situation is like prior to asking..?

I own a 1999 M44 318ti COMPACT M-Sport kit, I have a 2 Button remote and just to be clear, this button remote is on the key itself (not a separate unit).. I read past posts regarding procedures but could not tell if anyone was referring to a unit on a keyring or the key unit itself.

I need much help, cheers.