PDA

View Full Version : FAQs - Cold air intakes & Air filters - Dicuss here

anthony tyler
09-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Discuss here issues related to cold air intakes and air filters. :cool:

mohaughn
09-15-2008, 04:27 PM
don't we already have like 500 of these threads? Not sure what else can be added to the discussion.

spidertri
09-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah, please search.

b.u.ti-ful
09-15-2008, 04:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake

tiFreak
09-16-2008, 12:32 AM
if there's a specific piece of information you're looking for, we'd be glad to help, but your original post is way too broad

cooljess76
09-16-2008, 01:15 AM
They're stupid. They're a waste of money. They do nothing for performance. You run the risk of hydrolocking. In most cases they actually suck in hot air, which in turn decreases performance. Most smog shops will fail you if they see an aftermarket intake installed. They make 4cyl engines sound like they're gasping for air. They might look cool, but anyone who knows about motors will just laugh because it'll look like you've tried to cheap out and make your car look and sound fast without actually doing anything worthwhile.

Con's out number the pro's.

/thread

Bobbak
09-16-2008, 01:49 AM
They're stupid. They're a waste of money. They do nothing for performance. You run the risk of hydrolocking. In most cases they actually suck in hot air, which in turn decreases performance. Most smog shops will fail you if they see an aftermarket intake installed. They make 4cyl engines sound like they're gasping for air. They might look cool, but anyone who knows about motors will just laugh because it'll look like you've tried to cheap out and make your car look and sound fast without actually doing anything worthwhile.

/thread

thankyou :rolleyes:

1CivetDei2
09-16-2008, 06:46 PM

/thread

then why in the modified cosmo intake thread did the thread starter gain 5 HP from the way he did it.
Im pretty sure that any Cold Air Intake replacing the stock air box will gain atleast a minimal advantage since im pretty sure for every 10 degrees you drop in temperature you gain 1% of your Hp from what i've read.

If im wrong with that statement correct me but dont reply with one of your signature dickbag sarcastic " im putting what your saying down because i know everything" rants

BMW_Hatchback
09-16-2008, 07:13 PM
:hug:

tiFreak
09-16-2008, 11:55 PM
:hug:

I'd like to second that hug :biggrin: if an intake doesn't do anything, why are people hacking up their airboxes to "fogg" the intake, since improving the airflow apparently doesn't do anything for performance :rolleyes:

Mallard
09-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Simota / gruppe M intakes have been shown to give up to 10 hp alone

similar to this one shown below

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/johnono/GruppeM0.jpg

trickiekid
09-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, but groupe M is hard as hell to find unless you live in japan. Have I mentioned that I might be moving there in the next year???

Maverix
09-20-2008, 04:11 AM
If im wrong with that statement correct me but dont reply with one of your signature dickbag sarcastic " im putting what your saying down because i know everything" rants
+1
Yeah, but groupe M is hard as hell to find unless you live in japan. Have I mentioned that I might be moving there in the next year???

Hey, I was wondering. What's the conversion rate to JPY if I had $100?

jgrimm
09-20-2008, 04:38 AM
100usd = 10718 yen as of Sept. 19th

Marv17
09-20-2008, 06:30 PM
mallard. is that a pic of the M44 with the intake or a 6cyl e36?

tiFreak
09-20-2008, 09:59 PM
mallard. is that a pic of the M44 with the intake or a 6cyl e36?

looks to be something completely different judging by the location of the color code tag

trickiekid
09-20-2008, 11:56 PM
that is a v8. the pictured intake is on the passenger.

Maverix
09-21-2008, 02:32 AM
that is a v8. the pictured intake is on the passenger.

Think you can spot me a gruppe M intake when you move to Japan?

cooljess76
09-21-2008, 02:56 AM
then why in the modified cosmo intake thread did the thread starter gain 5 HP from the way he did it.
Im pretty sure that any Cold Air Intake replacing the stock air box will gain atleast a minimal advantage since im pretty sure for every 10 degrees you drop in temperature you gain 1% of your Hp from what i've read.

Waaaaiiiitttt, let me get this straight. You guys running CAI's are pushing a whole 143hp now? OMG that's incredible, anyone have dyno sheets to back it up? Can you feel the extra 5hp? So you're saying that the air being sucked in through the CAI is 36 degrees colder than the air coming from a factory air box? Sorry, I just find this hard to believe.

1CivetDei2
09-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Waaaaiiiitttt, let me get this straight. You guys running CAI's are pushing a whole 143hp now? OMG that's incredible, anyone have dyno sheets to back it up? Can you feel the extra 5hp? So you're saying that the air being sucked in through the CAI is 36 degrees colder than the air coming from a factory air box? Sorry, I just find this hard to believe.

typical jess.
I never said it was a significant gain or that it would matter at all
point being that you were wrong and there IS a gain no matter what
I was not arguing that these cars are slow or that the intake would give you mad vtec yo i was stating that they have an affect on any car no matter what
dont make this personal thats really immature i was just stating a ppoint

BMW_Hatchback
09-21-2008, 04:35 AM
when I put in my intake, it woke up the motor a lil bit. But thats just maybe my car. My car hasn't seen many mods other than catback and software. For me, since no one makes much for the ti, I looked around to see what was out there, and just bought what I could find, especially since it was affordable.

for me, the CAI was sort of a "getting my foot in the door" mod, simply because it was the first mod I did to the car when I got it.

robcarync
09-23-2008, 04:29 PM
The only evidence I have is my Gtech G Timer...after my Dinan software and modified Cosmo intake, it read at 152 hp. Completely accurate? Maybe not...but it is CONSISTENT...it does show a gain...whether or not the overall total is accurate...

Before modified intake...read 147hp with just software....after read 152 with intake and software...same road...two runs for each test...

Proof that the intake does have an influence. Big one? No...but it isnt pointless. The end.

It is America (for me at least)....buy it if you want. If you don't want to...buy a cat back exhaust so it sounds cool!

trickiekid
09-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Think you can spot me a gruppe M intake when you move to Japan?

LOL, well after I finish whatever project i pick up...

1CivetDei2
09-23-2008, 10:33 PM
The only evidence I have is my Gtech G Timer...after my Dinan software and modified Cosmo intake, it read at 152 hp. Completely accurate? Maybe not...but it is CONSISTENT...it does show a gain...whether or not the overall total is accurate...

Before modified intake...read 147hp with just software....after read 152 with intake and software...same road...two runs for each test...

Proof that the intake does have an influence. Big one? No...but it isnt pointless. The end.

It is America (for me at least)....buy it if you want. If you don't want to...buy a cat back exhaust so it sounds cool!

well put