PDA

View Full Version : What was your first TI mod?

tgroth
07-18-2001, 12:33 AM
I'm debating on which modification I should make first on my '95 CS. I figure I want to try to keep the CS under stock class when I autocross it, at both BMWCCA and SCCA autocrosses (makes it a lot cheaper). Any suggestions on what I should mod first? I'm thinking of starting with an X-brace and a front strut tower brace. Does any company make a rear strut tower brace for the Ti? What was your first mod?

Dan Burger
07-18-2001, 03:04 PM
My first mod. was actually a K&N cone with a heatsheild, followed by a host of other goodies. If you're planning on auto-crossing, I'd invest most of your money into suspension - esp. the x- brace, and other sub frame reinforcements. The CS suspension is pretty damn good for being stock, so you might be able to get away with waiting on springs/shocks. I'm sure someone makes a rear brace for the ti...I just haven't looked (I actually use my hatch regularly, so I don't particularly want to install the bar)

Let me know how it goes...

[This message has been edited by Dan Burger (edited 07-18-2001).]

1996 328ti
07-19-2001, 12:10 AM
I'd be careful in modding the car under SCCA rules. I think the ti is out classed as it is.

X-brace is good. Strut brace? I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference in an autocross.

I'd do a short shift from an M coupe.

But I would really look at the rules if you are going to run under SCCA guidelines.

...steven

fred.larsen
07-19-2001, 01:21 AM
I recently purchased an x-brace, RD strut brace, and RD sway bars. I installed the strut brace the other night cuz it was easy, but I'm holding off on installing the other components until I get my new wheels and tires - hopefully some time next week. I'm waiting because I just don't think I'll notice as much of an impact with my all-season tires -- as they'll slide before I torque the frame much ñ and I want to FEEL that the money spent made a difference.

Iím looking at purchasing a set of 17x8 BBS RK wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RE730 tires. Iím bouncing back and forth between 225/45-17 and 235/40-17s. The 225s are true plus2 from my Activeís 205/60-15s, but a lot of people are going to the 235s.

I'm also considering a Supersprint exhaust since there's some talk about a group purchase, but I'm weary about spending more money right now...but ya never know.

------------------

Ralliart
07-19-2001, 01:14 PM
Yeah I am definately lookin at gettin some exhaust for my car. There was a lot of talk in the exhaust section.

Those guys kinda got me leaning toward the Bosal system, but I have heard a lot of good things about the Supersprint systems.

DougZ
07-31-2001, 03:00 AM
Guys: I started out with the cheap and easy modifications, thanks to Ron Stygar's site. The first things I did were double up the brake lights in the rear, and install a custom garage door opener. Thanks to Ron for posting both of these on his site.
Next I did the Shawn Fogg airbox modification. This is the one that involves cutting a 4" whole in the front of the box, and attaching an airduct down to behind the foglight. After I looked at the cost of buying a cone kit, or the other ones, I am glad that I did mine homemade for $20.00. I put a K&N drop in the box, but the great thing is that I can go back to a stock filter when I want to.
Next came the clear corners and clear side markers. Being the cheap German bastard that I am proud to be, I got them both on Ebay for $45.00.
After that came the blue H4 bulbs, and a non BMW CD changer(12 disk) with custom made bracket/guard. I got that from AUTOTOYS.COM for ~$250 with needed wire adapter.

The latest purchases have been AC style aluminum pedals. And lastly, the Bosal Brospeed exhaust.

Recap:
Doubled up brake lights
garage door opener
modified airbox with drop in K&N
Bosch Plat +4 plugs
Blue bulbs up front
clear corner and side markers
Pioneer 12 disc cd changer
AC style pedals(ebay also)
Bosal Brospeed exhaust

Next up: wheels and tires. 17X7's with 215/45's

DougZ: 98 318 Active...very active