PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Vibration

Xenocide
09-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Hey guys picked up a 95ti a few weeks ago that was hit (minor) in the drivers side. bumper had already been replaced, just needs a new fender.

I had a horrible steering wheel shake around 55-70. I can't get rid of it.

I have put on:

New tires, balanced.
New Struts & Shocks
New Rotors & Pads

I have not done an alignment yet, but that *in my experience* only would fix if the car was pulling right or left....

any ideas?

cooljess76
09-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Ball joints, Tie rods, LCABs

Maverix
09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
I have the same problem when driving 70+. Is it normal, or is it the turbulence from other cars? It's not that bad, but it's noticeable.

spidertri
09-24-2008, 09:51 PM
My Dad's E39 had this same problem, he took it to the dealer and had them replace the tires and balance the wheels. Didn't work. He took it back and had them replace some bushing up front. Didn't work. Finally, he got them to take it seriously and they found that one of his front brake calipers was the issue. Changed it out and the shaking went away. It was crazy though because it would only happen at 70+ speeds.

I have the same problem when driving 70+. Is it normal, or is it the turbulence from other cars? It's not that bad, but it's noticeable.

It should not be turbulence from other cars, I think the usual culprit is tires.

95cosmos
09-27-2008, 01:31 PM
control arm bushings, ball joints, and alignment would be my start!

95cosmos
09-27-2008, 01:34 PM
any bent wheels?

hotmilk400
09-27-2008, 03:51 PM
its your control arms on the bottem (the arms that connect to the wheels in the front) they are probally bent very sligtly. i had teh same problem. when i bought my car, it was smashed on the driver side, and would pull to the right (and also shake at high speeds over 60) it was relaly bent tho..haha.. anyway, i had it fixed, and i could hit 120 without it shaking.. then i had gotten into an accident where i smashed the front lower bumper ( i went up a steep hill .. haha) anyway. i think i bent the arm again, because it shakes like crazy after about 80 mph.. ..

i would check your control arm. they arnt super expensive.. i had my mechanic buy a new arm, and install it for only $250.. + he fould the problem and everything.. i consider that a real deal.. haha.. sicne i took it to a differnt place, and they charged me $159 for an oil change.. =/ ... i was going to fight it.. but i was to pissed.. so i bumped into the owners car when i left (with my smashed up door wide open , almost taking off his mirror) atleast it was worth the $159

angel318ti
09-27-2008, 04:47 PM
drive shaft bushing or guibo. those two were causing my vibration.

Maverix
09-28-2008, 06:19 AM
It should not be turbulence from other cars, I think the usual culprit is tires.

Yea, my tires have lost a lot of tread since I've been powersliding every time I change lanes. Even my mechanic said that I need new tires. It's gonna have to wait till I can get some actual rims.

M-technik-3
09-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Yea, my tires have lost a lot of tread since I've been powersliding every time I change lanes. Even my mechanic said that I need new tires. It's gonna have to wait till I can get some actual rims.

Don't be too foolish and wait then put the car into a guard rail.

cooljess76
09-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Yea, my tires have lost a lot of tread since I've been powersliding every time I change lanes...:rolleyes:

Maverix
09-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I was over exaggerating, if it isn't obvious :biggrin:

zoner
10-29-2008, 06:15 AM
I have not done an alignment yet, but that *in my experience* only would fix if the car was pulling right or left....

any ideas?

I had a car once that developed a terrible steering vibration between 50-60 MPH and the problem was apparently caused by the toe adjustment (alignment) being extremely out of whack. Once I had it aligned, the vibration went away

RidingSimple
10-29-2008, 02:49 PM
My Dad's E39 had this same problem, he took it to the dealer and had them replace the tires and balance the wheels. Didn't work. He took it back and had them replace some bushing up front. Didn't work. Finally, he got them to take it seriously and they found that one of his front brake calipers was the issue. Changed it out and the shaking went away. It was crazy though because it would only happen at 70+ speeds.

Had the same problem in my past with an E36.
It's called a frozen caliper and happens a LOT on BMW's.
I don't understand why, but it does.

I've noticed on most BMWs, front shimmying is rarely rotors, it's usually a wheel balance issue, followed by the frozen caliper or bad struts, lower control arm bushings.

spidertri
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah, he bought the car CPO and was able to get the issue taken care of once, under warranty. Unfortunately, it happened again with the other front caliper, he had to pay for that one. Dealer cut him a break though because it had happened before. BMW of Towson, good guys.

Xenocide
10-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Well i new struts, rotors, pads, and alignment now....

leaning towards ball joints....

I also have a problem when I come to a stop...around 5 mph my brakes grind to a halt, its almost like the pads and the rotors don't like each other they brake fine at any other speed until i hit 5mph, if i feather it real light it will not make the noise...

Mallard
10-29-2008, 07:25 PM
try to have these checked

#6 and #19

http://static.bmwfans.info/images/epc/MTAzNjEzX3A=.png (http://bmwfans.info/original/E36/com/318ti-M42/USA/L/M/1995/06/mg-31/ill-31_0242/)

also

# 7 and 8 for wobble

http://static.bmwfans.info/images/epc/Mzg4OF9w.png (http://bmwfans.info/original/E36/com/318ti-M42/USA/L/M/1995/06/mg-32/ill-32_0630/)

speedracerf4i
11-06-2008, 01:07 AM
I have the same problem when I bought the car. After replacing all these (in order), the steering wheel still vibrate, but a lot less now.

1. Tie rod
2. control arms with m3 solid bushings and metal ball joints.
3. Balanced brake rotors (vented). + new caliper.
4. Alignment
5. Wheel repair
6. Bilstein + Springs.
7. Strut bearings (all 4)
8. Another Alignment
9. X-braces (improves a bit)
10. Strut bar

Still shakes.

RidingSimple
11-06-2008, 01:27 AM
^ Your car must have a messed up frame or something.
That or your wheel repair guys messed up, try rotating front to back, or buy a full brand new everything from Tire Rack....that'll let you know the wheels are/aren't the issue.

speedracerf4i
11-06-2008, 01:31 AM
I bought 4 new tires and 4 straight 17" contours and the problem persists.

I am thinking that it's the steering rack's problem, or related links.

Xenocide
11-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I found someone selling brand new control arms with meyle ball joints and new bushings for $150, is this something worth picking up?

speedracerf4i
11-13-2008, 05:30 PM
If the set included the "lollipop" bushings, then it's a good deal. Make sure that you use the 96-99 M3 solid rubber bushings, as it's all solid. Stock 318ti control arm bushings has gaps in the rubber for comfort, not precision.

Xenocide
11-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I am totally fine with comfort bushings, this is a DD not a race car.