PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Wobble?

yoda
10-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Hello guys,
I recently bought my ti and on the way home I felt the car vibrate like when you have a bad wheel balance, and it always does it when it gets to about 80 MPH. I had to SMOG the car to transfer the title, and when the guy had it on the rollers I could see the rear wheel had a bad vertical offset, as in /...\ , what would be the cause of this problem?

I took the wheel off and it looks fine, and the rest of the susp components look fine as well, at least to the naked eye. Please if anyone has any input on this I would greatly appreciate it :smile:
I will be replacing all 4 rotors and pads next week, but I need to know if I need to replace bearings or even the axle, I just don't know. The funny thing is that I could see the wobble when he was rolling the wheels at about 20 MHP, but you don't feel it until you reach 80 :confused:

The wobble looked to be only on the vertical axis...

Thank you guys in advanced :biggrin:

spidertri
10-09-2008, 01:24 PM
When you put it back on was the wheel torqued to the proper spec? Does it still wobble? Is everything stock? (Wheels, suspension, etc.)

M-technik-3
10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Variety of things. Easiest one take wheel into get rebalanced? While on balancer machine you will be able to determine if wheel is bent.

Next a weak shock will allow the rear wheel to hop about transmitting a vibration. There's chance rotors are warped as well or a half shaft issue.

Lots of things but for 10 bucks balancer is fastest way or swap front to rear unless you have staggers.

Mallard
10-09-2008, 03:51 PM
are the wheels original bud?

yoda
10-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the responses guys,

The wheels are OEM, and I made sure to tighten everything right when I put the wheel back.
At first I thought the balance was the problem cause I had another car that the wheels were not balance correctly and it did a similar thing but that one did it at about 100 MPH. I think I'll take the car in for a re-balance and see if it fixes it.... I hope it's not a bent half shaft cause that would mean some real work... :biggrin:
Thanks again guys and keep your thoughts coming

b.u.ti-ful
10-09-2008, 07:46 PM
You could try rotating with the front wheel as a test to see if the tire/wheel is bad.

yoda
10-10-2008, 03:13 AM
Hey guys,

Thank you for your replies!...
Took the car for a tire balance and turns out 3 of the 4 wheels are BENT!...
with 2 of them really bad... I have no idea where the previous owner drove the car through to have this happen like that.... crazy!....

Thanks again for the advice... at least it's the freaking wheels and not something mechanical!... :cool:

b.u.ti-ful
10-10-2008, 02:02 PM
At least that is an easy fix.

Thanks for following up with your solution as it helps keep this a useful archive.