PDA

View Full Version : CAI/ Fog Lights

ChItalian1027
10-11-2008, 12:21 AM
hey guys so i'm gonna put my CAI in this thanksgaving when i get back from SIUC and i have my fog lights waiting on install as well and i was wondering should i keep the driver side fog out in place for the CAI?? thanks

tiFreak
10-11-2008, 12:23 AM
do you mean have only one foglight? I see what you're thinking about airflow but technically that would be illegal, you can't have just one foglight

ChItalian1027
10-11-2008, 12:29 AM
not right now. i have both out and haven't gotten any problems from the cops. i'm just thinkin that it won't get the air for it to work properly.

tiFreak
10-11-2008, 12:35 AM
if you have both out you won't get pulled over, if you have just one, you probably will, I do state inspections for Vermont so I have a pretty good idea of the laws, do you have the Cosmo Racing CAI? if you do, you need to modify or remove the brake duct to install it, so it will get plenty of air where it is

ChItalian1027
10-11-2008, 01:11 AM
yeah brendan i do have a cosmo racing cai. how would i modify the duct and would it still work with the fog installed?? thanks

1CivetDei2
10-11-2008, 09:05 PM
the instructions tell how to modify the duct but its only for mtechnic m3 bumpers i believe .
If you dont have an m3 bumper dont worry if you do just look at the instructions that came with the intake. I have the m3 bumper and the same CAI and i just modified my intake so the filter sits a few inches above the fog light hole since both of my foglights are removed.

Either put both foglights in or dont put them in at all if you have one out expecting to get a larger airflow your going to look retarded becuase the CAI doesnt bring a large gain anyway

M3_KILL3R
10-12-2008, 01:05 AM
do you mean have only one foglight? I see what you're thinking about airflow but technically that would be illegal, you can't have just one foglight

how is that illegal???

read robs write up you can easily fit the CAI and still have the fog lights

tiFreak
10-12-2008, 01:12 AM
how is that illegal???

you can't only have 1 foglight, at least in Vermont, but I doubt the laws are different in other states, either have both or neither, and if you have them installed, they both have to work, I know this stuff since I do state inspections

M3_KILL3R
10-12-2008, 01:17 AM
you can't only have 1 foglight, at least in Vermont, but I doubt the laws are different in other states, either have both or neither, and if you have them installed, they both have to work, I know this stuff since I do state inspections

nope nothing close to that being a law in Cali...
thats pretty stupid if you ask me

ChItalian1027
10-13-2008, 01:47 AM
hey guys so i'm gonna be puttin my fog lights in. i don't know if i will have to modify my intake or not.

BMW_Hatchback
10-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Don't modify the intake. That would be overkill for not much gain. I did modify the brake ducts, but I ended up taking it out all together being that they are known to just flop around anyway. One thing you will need to do is move your horns out of the way if they are, and make sure you have a splash shield to be on the safe side.

As far as one fog light being illegal, in my state (MD), you won't pass inspection unless the fog lights on the car work, and if you can't just have one, its either both or none. However you can take them off just to pass inpection.

ChItalian1027
10-13-2008, 04:10 AM
no i haven't been able to install it yet. i do plan on it this thanksgiving and installing my stromung with my dad. we never had time since he was relocated to New Orleans for work. but i do plan on it

robcarync
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
you can make the intake work with fog lights...if it doesnt fit with the original intake, it will not be hard to modify it at all...and the fog light wont restrict air...there is a large opening down there where it can take air from...it will be fine

ChItalian1027
10-16-2008, 09:33 PM
thanks rob!!