PDA

View Full Version : Info on reputable chips for UK spec cars?

Taymar
10-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm trying to figure out what chips are available for a 1996 uk-spec 318ti (5-speed).

Looking on TMS and Dinan's website, < 1995 US cars (OBD-I?) take a plug-and-play chip which has some nice gains for the price, and > 1996 US cars (OBD-II?) can have a reflash, which gives much smaller gains.

To complicate things further, I read that UK cars also may use EOBD.

How would I find out what kind of chip this car takes, and is there any hope the TMS or dinan chip would work in a UK spec car?

Thanks for any advice.

mohaughn
10-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Pull the ecu and post up information on it... I don't think a 96 would be Eobd. Either obdI or obdI.5. But the tuning is probably a little bit different as the EWS systems are a bit different on different model year Euro cars. If you have a Bosch 282 ecu(the last three numbers) the 95 chip from Turner will work.

Have you called turner or dinan? They both offer good customer support. They'll probably want to know the ECU part number when you call though.

We've also got a few members on here from the UK, they'll probably know what is out there. I think superchips may make uk specific chips.

tiFreak
10-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Pull the ecu and post up information on it... I don't think a 96 would be Eobd. Either obdI or obdI.5.

it is a Euro-spec ti

Taymar
10-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Where should I be looking for the ecu code? is it on a label or on the stock chip itself (assuming it's OBD-I)?

I checked out superchips, theirs has the same gains as the turner motorsport chip but is $600 vs. $250. So if the US chips would work that seems like a better deal.

spidertri
10-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I think your best bet would be to contact turner and ask them if the chip will work for you.

Mallard
10-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Chip is reprom based. Superchips offer a read in /read out programming.

No need to replace anything, just download directly into the prom. The EWS isnt affected at all.

mohaughn
10-13-2008, 04:22 AM
it is a Euro-spec ti

I know that, I also know that EOBD was not standardized and required until 2001 on gas vehicles. So a long of european cars used standards similar to OBD1 or OBD1.5 until EOBD was standardized.