PDA

View Full Version : Improve performance - low budget

CarCraze
10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Hello. Driving a BMW 318. Looking for advice on improving power at minimum cost. Any suggestions? Maybe CAI or exhaust upgrade in return for power increase and sound? :confused:

tiFreak
10-16-2008, 02:59 PM
welcome, unfortunately, the BMW 4-cyl. engines are very hard to get power out of on a budget, an intake and exhaust will make the car sound better and maybe feel faster on the "butt-dyno," but the hp gains from those are minimal, forced induction or an engine swap are the only ways to really build power from these cars :(

aceyx
10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Improve performance at low cost is easy; X-Brace.

Improving power is a different matter. You could Fogg the airbox but there's really not much else below a grand that will do anything significant.

cooljess76
10-16-2008, 08:07 PM
I got the best performance mod ever and it only cost me 1000 pesos. I went down to TJ and picked up a pack of bottle rockets. Then I drilled a hole on my hatch where the emblem goes and taped the rockets in the hole. I ran a long fuse under the carpet to my center console where the cigarette lighter is. I'm saving it until I really need the boost, like when a civic pulls up next to me and revs his engine. All I have to do is press in the cigarette lighter and wait 20 seconds. Last time it didn't work though and burnt some of my carpet.

Bobbak
10-16-2008, 08:13 PM
very creative jess :tongue:

how many more way can you think of saying to do an engine swap

spidertri
10-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I got the best performance mod ever and it only cost me 1000 pesos. I went down to TJ and picked up a pack of bottle rockets. Then I drilled a hole on my hatch where the emblem goes and taped the rockets in the hole. I ran a long fuse under the carpet to my center console where the cigarette lighter is. I'm saving it until I really need the boost, like when a civic pulls up next to me and revs his engine. All I have to do is press in the cigarette lighter and wait 20 seconds. Last time it didn't work though and burnt some of my carpet.

That would actually be hilarious to do when someone pulled up next to you and wanted to race. :biggrin: Rocket boost FTW.:biggrin:

BMW_Hatchback
10-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Best mod you can do for your car as a whole, SUSPENSION! That wakes up any car, no matter the motor. Dinan has some software, go to your local BMW dealer to see if they supply

spidertri
10-16-2008, 08:46 PM
I would do software last if you plan to do simple bolt-ons. Intake, exhaust, maybe throttle body, then software. The minimal gains that you see will be increased (slightly) if you do software last.

CarCraze
10-17-2008, 03:28 AM
Interesting comments. Intake & exhaust sections of forum have few interesting mods.

Maverix
10-17-2008, 03:41 AM
Get a SLR chip. I hear it gives a guaranteed 50+hp for only $65+. :D

tiFreak
10-17-2008, 03:35 PM
only if you use the recommended velcro strips and zip-ties ;)

^sarcasm, just letting you know since it doesn't always translate so well over the internet

dave45056
10-17-2008, 04:50 PM
1. Fan Delete Mod
2. Fogg your Airbox
3. Tune Up

All of these are cheap.
If you have a M42 engine, think about the Intake Cam Advance trick... that one is free

crazy_hippo
10-19-2008, 07:45 AM
I am assuming you are using the M42 motor (not the M40 or M43).

1. If so, there are couple of mods that could improve your HP. there are usual ones like doing a CAI (it has to be CAI not just a mushroom filter that sucks hot air from the engine bay).

2. Straight thru exhaust/mufflers to improve flow.

3. Using better spark plugs or CDI devices. Simple mod is to solder a capacitor to the + and - of the wire to the ignition coil. But have to experiment with getting the right values. bosch IR fusion are good stuffs. Also use magnecor wires will improve things a little.

4. Chipping will give you the biggest possible boost but its not exactly cheap. Using a piggy back is another solution.

5. Adjusting your cams. Yes, this is not very well documented but M42s come with adjustable cam sprockets. You can advance your intake cam a little to boost power (eg. 5 degrees)

6. 4-1 exhaust extractor from ebay. Cheap and boost high end but at the expense of low end.

7. minor things like 5 point grounding etc may also help a little.

8. Fan delete mod. Remove the clutch fan and use an electric fan instead.

9. Remove your AC compressor (if you don't mind the heat). Using an electric pump for power steering or remove PS pump completely.

10. Replace ancillary pullies with those lightweight underdrive ones. Eg. Ruff engineering pullies.

11. remove water pump and use electric water pump instead. Require customising though.

12. Lightweight clutch or M20 clutch. The stock dual mass clutch kills performance.

All these will gain you quite a fair bit of performance. Of course its not going to be tremendous but do expect at least 20-30HP gain easily.

CarCraze
10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Very good informantion. Thanks.

Mallard
10-19-2008, 02:59 PM
excellent info Hippo !!!

cooljess76
10-19-2008, 05:52 PM
1. Fan Delete Mod
2. Fogg your Airbox
3. Tune Up

All of these are cheap.
If you have a M42 engine, think about the Intake Cam Advance trick... that one is freeIt cracks me up when people say dumb sh!t like this. The 318ti uses an electric PULLER fan(behind the radiator) DON'T DELETE IT!

6cyl e36's have an auxiliary fan which is an electric PUSHER fan(in front of the A/C condenser) as well as an engine driven clutch fan that mounts to the water pump. This is the fan referred to in regards to the FDM. Personally I'm keeping the fan on my 332ti as I often get stuck in traffic during the afternoon heat. Yes they're prone to losing blades and damaging radiators, but as long as you inspect the blades for cracks from time to time, you'll be alright.

Again, THE FDM IS FOR 6CYL CAR'S ONLY! DON'T DELETE YOUR ELECTRIC FAN!

Mallard
10-19-2008, 09:22 PM
both the 318ti M42 and M44 use the viscose clutch on the waterpump.

all Bmw e36s use viscose clutches ,

If there is any pictures on the EPC from BMW, that isnt used in connection with the air-con, id like to see it.

The fan delete mentioned, is the removal of the clutch based fan, and installation of an electric unit with an extra thermoswitch attached near the out pipe of the radiator or directly controlled by the double temp switch on the rad housing.

the benefit is mostly a precausionary measure addopted by some to prevent future radiator damage..

Pointless mod in my opinion.. but where would the world be without inovation..

cooljess76
10-19-2008, 09:34 PM
I've never seen that before Mallard. When I replaced my water pump on my M44, it just had a pulley attached to it. It spun constantly with the pulley. Also, every ti that I've seen, and there's a lot of them here in SoCal, didn't have a fan or anything connected to the water pump. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm not sure I know what a viscous clutch is? Does anyone here have a belt driven fan on their M42 or M44? I may have been confused this whole time, looks like I'm about to learn something new:tongue:

Edit; Wow! I just found this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=11_1244&hg=11&fg=35

Did the previous owner of my car do the fan delete mod? Has anyone on the forum removed their fan? I didn't think our cars came with one.

cooljess76
10-19-2008, 10:01 PM
^^^Alright, this is really bugging me. Can anyone confirm this? Post up if you have a fan attached to your water pump pulley. This only applies to those with M42's and M44's. Thanks.

dave45056
10-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I can ABSOLUTELY confirm this.
Original equipment = clutch fan of water pump + electric puller fan on radiator.
Fan Delete Mod is removing the clutch fan and leaving the electric fan.
I would never suggested deleting the electric fan. That is not what the FDM is.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/dave45056/clutchfan.jpg
Need further proof? Look here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=CG53&mospid=47505&hg=11&fg=35

Anyway do a little research before you start ridiculing people, Jess.

minicoop900
10-20-2008, 01:29 AM
hey jess, ill help you out a little here haha.

m42's came factory with a fan clutch but had the option for an electric fan on all e36
m44's came stock with an electric fan but had an option for the fan clutch on all e36s, z's

cooljess76
10-20-2008, 02:00 AM
I can ABSOLUTELY confirm this.
Original equipment = clutch fan of water pump + electric puller fan on radiator.
Fan Delete Mod is removing the clutch fan and leaving the electric fan.
I would never suggested deleting the electric fan. That is not what the FDM is.
Need further proof? Look here...

Anyway do a little research before you start ridiculing people, Jess.
Actually, that doesn't prove jack sh!t. My M44 had the same threaded fitting on the waterpump hub and when I replaced the waterpump, the new one came with the same fitting. Are you telling me that EVERYONE that owns a '95 318ti did the fan delete mod? I understand what minicoop900 is saying about it being an option on M44's, but I've seen numerous '95 Ti's with M42's and NONE of them had a fan mounted on the waterpump. Showing me a picture of a hub minus a fan doesn't prove squat. Show me a North American 318ti, not a 318i or 318is, with a fan mounted there and I'll eat my words.

FWIW, I'm not saying that they don't exist. I'm just saying that I've never seen a 318ti with an engine mounted fan and I've seen a lot of 318ti engine bays here in North America. Surely if they exist, someone here can confirm it.

1996 328ti
10-20-2008, 02:08 AM
FWIW, I'm not saying that they don't exist. I'm just saying that I've never seen a 318ti with an engine mounted fan and I've seen a lot of 318ti engine bays here in North America. Surely if they exist, someone here can confirm it.
My M44 didn't have a fan mounted to the motor either.

crazy_hippo
10-20-2008, 02:12 AM
both the 318ti M42 and M44 use the viscose clutch on the waterpump.

all Bmw e36s use viscose clutches ,

If there is any pictures on the EPC from BMW, that isnt used in connection with the air-con, id like to see it.

The fan delete mentioned, is the removal of the clutch based fan, and installation of an electric unit with an extra thermoswitch attached near the out pipe of the radiator or directly controlled by the double temp switch on the rad housing.

the benefit is mostly a precausionary measure addopted by some to prevent future radiator damage..

Pointless mod in my opinion.. but where would the world be without inovation..

Some even do away with the electric fan though. They just use the condenser fan to cool the radiator.

http://www.understeer.com/onlinestore-engine.shtml

understeer do have a fan delete kit on sale. It comes with a replacement thermostat and fan switch so the condenser fan will be activated at lower temps.

IMHO, removing the clutch fan should help a little in saving weight and reducing parasitic drag on the engine. Its not alot but every tiny bit adds up.

Bobbak
10-20-2008, 02:15 AM
hey jess, ill help you out a little here haha.

m42's came factory with a fan clutch but had the option for an electric fan on all e36
m44's came stock with an electric fan but had an option for the fan clutch on all e36s, z's

i got a 95 base ti and it has an electric fan on it

minicoop900
10-20-2008, 02:18 AM
oh, ok maybe for the ti's all of them came with an electric, im not sure
but on the sedans/coupes i know most of the m42's had fan clutches

crazy_hippo
10-20-2008, 02:41 AM
oh, ok maybe for the ti's all of them came with an electric, im not sure
but on the sedans/coupes i know most of the m42's had fan clutches

I agreed. My 318is comes with clutch fan as well.

dave45056
10-20-2008, 03:02 AM
Jess, the OP said he car was a 318... he did not say if it was a ti or not.

cooljess76
10-20-2008, 03:41 AM
C'mon man, let's not turn this into a stupid argument. Yes I understand that there's about 1% of members who do not own 318ti's, but seriously, THIS IS A 318TI FORUM:rolleyes:

Mallard
10-20-2008, 05:34 PM
as far as BMW are concerned, the Engine cooling system opperates a Viscose clutch cooling system

All vehicles equipped with air-con have the suplimentary electric fan for the air con radiator.

On the BMW epc, all e36 318ti, both M42 and M44 irrespective of region use the viscose setup on the waterpump.

campaiar
10-20-2008, 08:59 PM
...both M42 and M44 irrespective of region use the viscose setup on the waterpump.

I've seen 4 Ti's in person. Two M42s and two M44s. None of them had wp mounted fans.

Just my experience.

cooljess76
10-21-2008, 02:36 AM
I've seen 4 Ti's in person. Two M42s and two M44s. None of them had wp mounted fans.

Just my experience.

That's exactly my point. We've had SoCal g2g's with over 20 Ti's. I've owned 3 Ti's myself, and I've probably looked at another 6 or 7 while I was in the market for one. Not one of them had a water pump mounted fan. Not to mention the several people who've brought their cars to my house that I've worked on. I trust Mallard as a reliable source of information, although I've never seen the item in question. I find it hard to believe that every '95 318ti that I've seen has had the fan delete mod done, but if Mallard says it's so, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has far more knowledge on this subject than myself.

Mallard
10-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I think its unusual that BMW who build the cars decided to fit them in colder climate countrys, but decided to leave them off for vehicles sold to warmer lands.

Remember these ti´s are almost 15 years old some of them, and not unlikely that they have been removed by previous owners, mabey even workshops.

Also, the item is shown on all models, so i can only assume the item is standard spec to these vehicles.. but im not god (as my trusty mechanic says some times..) and i cant speak for every ti that left the factory ;)

But "generally" speaking, the viscose element was/is standard fixture for the cooling system, and the el. fan was/is for the air-con rad.

andy
10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Far and away the best power upgrade with a stock engine is a lower ratio diff. If you can find a 4.44 LSD from an automatic ti, you will burn rubber in 1st and 2nd gear, and keep up with integras off the line.

Of course you'll find the engine revving up a bit at freeway speeds. :smile:

Oh, and my ti, when I picked it up new from SCBMW on 7/15/95 had an electric fan. Pretty sure they were all that way, at least in the US.

cooljess76
10-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Remember these ti´s are almost 15 years old some of them, and not unlikely that they have been removed by previous owners, maybe even workshops.Then somebody on this forum needs to speak up. There's got to be at least one member in NA with an engine mounted fan on their Ti. Hahaha, this is really buggin me. I'm going to start a poll.

This reminds me of a similar argument that i had with my neighbor about our clutch discs. I told him that I ordered an M5 clutch for my LTW flywheel and explained that it had a larger friction surface, beefier pressure plate and a sprung clutch disc. Being a mechanic by trade for 15 years, he replied that ALL automotive clutch discs are sprung. I told him that I recently replaced the clutch on my ClubSport, did a tranny swap on "Lazoh's" car, and removed the tranny from my M44 before I sold it to "96ti". All three of which had unsprung clutch discs. He swore up and down that I was wrong even though I seen it with my own two eyes and I knew I was right:mad: My only problem was that i didn't have any proof as I threw the old clutch away from the ClubSport, Left the one on my M44 when I sold it and Lazoh's car was put back together:redface: About a month went by and we were almost to the point of not speaking to each other anymore! Just by chance, sheer luck, when I removed the tranny from my S52(with my buddy standing right next to me handing me tools), IT HAD THE EURO SPEC UNSPRUNG CLUTCH!:eek: I dropped the wrench, made him look at it and told him that he owes me lunch:biggrin:

Mallard
10-21-2008, 06:31 PM
:lol: then its McD´s on me if its true ;)

But i still stand by the viscose set-up as BMW´s #1 cooling system (#1 in spec, not performance)

campaiar
10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
..... Just by chance, sheer luck, when I removed the tranny from my S52(with my buddy standing right next to me handing me tools), IT HAD THE EURO SPEC UNSPRUNG CLUTCH!:eek: I dropped the wrench, made him look at it and told him that he owes me lunch:biggrin:

None of the setups I've run in the TI had a sprung clutch.

The Sachs S52 kit I bought for my swap is unsprung too.

Love this picture... S52 left - M44 right
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/campaiar/car030.jpg