PDA

View Full Version : OBD2 Tuning

nyle
10-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Ok so I know this is possible.

Basically OBD has a few different modes. Some to just check errors, some to clear, etc. Mode 8 happens to be a "special" mode which can access and modify ECU settings, as defined by the manufacturer. Since it is defined by the manufacturer the best way to go about this by finding a source of information and going off of what they did.

I doubt conforti will talk to us.. I emailed TT asking for a "point in the right direction" with no response.

This will be my official research thread. So if anyone has any info, please contribute. Regardless I'll be updating anything I find out.

nyle
10-31-2008, 06:30 AM
got my tool. i'm extremely disappointed in the software to say the least. i'll be looking for some good open source stuff to start with to save me time on development.

THAT318
10-31-2008, 07:38 AM
WAIT BY TOOL ARE YOU REFERING TO LIKE A COMPUTER TO PROGRAM IT WITH? CUZ I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT WE CAN MAKE MINOR ADJUSTMENTS WITHOUT ANYTHING BUT THE KEY AND ODOMETER TRIP RESET BUTTON..? IM NOT THE GREATEST WITH MY BEEMER.. BUT **** I GUESS WITH TIME COMES TALENT?

roadrash
10-31-2008, 08:07 AM
i'll be looking for some good open source stuff to start with
Do you have any leads on places to find that sort of thing?

THAT318
10-31-2008, 08:21 AM
PM bluebimma i think he knows a thing or two bout that he's got a vid up of his odo displaying rpm's in digital

cooljess76
10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
WAIT BY TOOL ARE YOU REFERING TO LIKE A COMPUTER TO PROGRAM IT WITH? CUZ I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT WE CAN MAKE MINOR ADJUSTMENTS WITHOUT ANYTHING BUT THE KEY AND ODOMETER TRIP RESET BUTTON..? IM NOT THE GREATEST WITH MY BEEMER.. BUT **** I GUESS WITH TIME COMES TALENT?

PM bluebimma i think he knows a thing or two bout that he's got a vid up of his odo displaying rpm's in digitalThat's your cluster test, and no it has nothing to do with tuning your car. As for the OBD, I seriously doubt that you could change the way your vehicle runs by messing with a scantool. If so, I guess that's cool, but you might seriously screw something up. Like I said, I'm not sure where you heard this info, but I don't think it's possible. That said, good luck, keep us posted on your findings.

spidertri
10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
What you need is the VAG-COM (VAG = VW - Audi group) BMW equivalent, if there is one. It lets you go into the car's ecu and change settings.

THAT318
10-31-2008, 03:11 PM
oh no i didnt mean to tune lol.. but like it displays diff **** from the car i gotta dip to school now but if i remember after school ill post a link to his video were he have a digital read rpm where his odo goes. he said it goes back to normal.

gimp
10-31-2008, 03:15 PM
oh no i didnt mean to tune lol.. but like it displays diff **** from the car i gotta dip to school now but if i remember after school ill post a link to his video were he have a digital read rpm where his odo goes. he said it goes back to normal.

Then please leave this thread...

Anyway, a while back I contacted beheperformance.com (here in MD) about doing a custom tune for the M44. He basically said that he was fairly certain he had the equipment to do it (if I remember correctly, it was Porsche based software, all in German), but assuming he could get in a change things, it would be an awfully expensive process. He recommended going with a Dinnan or other tune, as his process, while better, would easily cost 3 times what they wanted.

Feel free to email him and ask. He was a great guy to talk to. His contact info:

410-489-0230
John

Who knows, if we can get 200 cars together that want tuned, it might be cheap.

nyle
11-01-2008, 08:22 AM
As for the OBD, I seriously doubt that you could change the way your vehicle runs by messing with a scantool. If so, I guess that's cool, but you might seriously screw something up. Like I said, I'm not sure where you heard this info, but I don't think it's possible. That said, good luck, keep us posted on your findings.

Conforti's shark editor uses the OBD protocol. Search for "OBD2 Mode 8". I imaging thats what he uses.

nyle
11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
for $7000 or something I can get a license from bmwna for the entire BMW protocol that was implemented in all BMWs from 1992 (i think?) onward. This is the same spec that was used to design the GT-1.

7k is a bit steep though lol. Still looking and asking around to see if I can get info pertaining to my car specifically.

BMW_Hatchback
11-03-2008, 07:14 PM
yeah too bad conforti doesnt make a shark for the 318

nyle
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah. I emailed BMWNA and another organization requesting help obtaining the needed info using my schoolwork as a reason why.

On another miscellaneous note:

I started creating the interface using Visual Basic. I will be able to at least set up the software to grab trouble codes and log sensor info and stuff.

M4YTY
11-03-2008, 07:52 PM
To get the digital readouts (rpm, speed, coolant temp, tank contents etc) hold the trip button in and turn on the ignition. Comes up 'TEST', Cycle through with the trip button to test 19. Wait till it says lock off. You must first add up the last 5 digits of your VIN. This is your code to unlock the kombi. Enter this number to turn off the lock. You can then cycle through with the trip button, each test to display certain readouts in digital. To reset to normal just turn off the ignition and back on again. It takes some practice to do but the worst that can happen is you could reset your service lights. No lasting damage can be caused. Matty

cooljess76
11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
To get the digital readouts (rpm, speed, coolant temp, tank contents etc) hold the trip button in and turn on the ignition. Comes up 'TEST', Cycle through with the trip button to test 19. Wait till it says lock off. You must first add up the last 5 digits of your VIN. This is your code to unlock the kombi. Enter this number to turn off the lock. You can then cycle through with the trip button, each test to display certain readouts in digital. To reset to normal just turn off the ignition and back on again. It takes some practice to do but the worst that can happen is you could reset your service lights. No lasting damage can be caused. MattyAs said before in this thread,
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER!!!

THE CLUSTER TEST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ENGINE MANAGEMENT!!!

nyle
11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
lol jess.

roadrash
11-04-2008, 05:21 AM
nyle...
Go to www.freshmeat.net and search a little bit. I seem to remember there being some OSS that was somehow related to OBD systems but I forget what the application was. It might not be what you're looking for, but it might help you find others who have experience with what you're working on.

Good luck!

nyle
11-04-2008, 12:38 PM
yeah. the one that is coming up i have seen. it is linux based. I looked at it (i have linux and windows on my laptop). Their website hasn't shown any updates in a couple years i think. The basic stuff is there though. No graphical user interface. But I could probably at least use the basic code as a guideline for stuff i can't find references for.