PDA

View Full Version : Cv joint or something else?

Breeze30
11-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting a clicking sound from the rear while driving. It sounds like a cv joint going bad on the right side, because it increases and decrease on speed and clicks louder on takeoff or when letting off the gas. I put it up on jack stands to see if I could find out exactly where the noise was coming from, I had a feeling it wouldn't click without a load on it, and alas no noise. So, I put it back down and it wouldn't click, I drove it around town all week, until I put 50+ interstate miles on it...then it came back. I've repeated this 3 times with the same outcome. This has me thinking it may be something else, I would think a bad cv joint would remain constant. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation and what the problem was. Could be something else, like a ball joint going out, stabilizer bushings, wheel bearings, driveshaft bearing or guibo, or something like that? I checked the shock mounts: ok, rear end oil for metal: none, excessive play in rear end: not really, checked out brake caliper for anything: nothing abnormal. The car has 192000 miles on it and is an auto.

rookie_98
11-04-2008, 10:07 PM
my old car started clicking after i hit a pothole. after that it was a minimal click. took the wheel to a shop and they told me the rim was cracked. probably not your issue but worth checking.