PDA

View Full Version : New guy...little introduction

rcrobbins
11-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Hey all,
My names Corey and live in NC. I drive a 1995 BMW 3.18IS M44. A few mods I have done: CAI, Koni adj. struts all round, Eibach lowering springs, full custom exhaust(magnaflow dtm muffler, high flow cat, 2.5in piping), cross drilled and slotted rotors w/ greenstuff pads, ASA AR1 17x8 wheels, Nitto Invo tires, pioneer premier 2 cd deck w/ ipod connection, 2 12in. subs in ported box, rear spoiler (had to for 50 bux :smile: ), and ellipsoid headlights. I've done a few little engine mods and have replaced most of the front end parts (lower ball joints, hub/bearings, tie rod assemblies). I also like to think my engine is unique since I spent two months polishing it by hand. I also repainted the bumpers and skirts. I know a lot about my car and BMW's in general so I hope to help people out, as well as solve issues I face. I joined the forum for its wide user interface with M44 engines that I don't have on bimmerfest. Since I just bought a turbo, I am hoping to find some answers to questions I have concerning the stock ecu management of the FI so I know how it will react and what management I need before I start. Here are a few pics of my car, they aren't up to date with the rotors, brakes, exhaust, CAI and a few other upgrades. Hope you enjoy and tell me what you think and ask for more pics if you wish. Feel free to ask me any questions regarding paint and mechanical problems.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=321&pictureid=1270
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=390&pictureid=1644
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=390&pictureid=1645
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=390&pictureid=1646
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=333&pictureid=1301

elchicano
11-07-2008, 06:06 AM
It has a trunk!:eek:

Welcome to the forum hope you find what you are looking for.

E36318TIM52B28
11-07-2008, 07:15 AM
It has a trunk!:eek:

Welcome to the forum hope you find what you are looking for.

It also has a trombone under the rear defuser ?? :eek: JJokin

And welcome.. <<< I'm a newbie too

tiFreak
11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
welcome, that engine looks awesome :eek: did you paint your eyelids on?

Maverix
11-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the community. We can all use your insight. I know I could. As soon as you unlock the privilege of the inbox, I got a few questions that I wanna ask.

318tienthuziest2316
11-07-2008, 07:38 PM
hey welcome, i wanted one of the 318is's for a while...but i got my ti and im happy...your engine looks amazing...and everything else on you car is very cleanly done...even the spoiler...and about the FI...ive heard a couple things here and there...and from what ive heard and read in order to do the FI you will have to probably run piggy back ECU...or a straight out Stand-alone ECU to be able to do it correctly...im not a 100% on this tho...so take a look around...

marko
11-07-2008, 07:39 PM
welcome... say, how did you get the valve cover to be so shiny? polished/pained??

rcrobbins
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all of your responses. Yes, it did have a trombone, but I replaced it 2 weeks ago by fabricating my own exhaust from the O2 sensor back with 2.5in. Yes, I painted those eyelids on the OEM lenses, but didn't turn out well and bought ellipsoid headlights locally. I don't know how to unlock the inbox option, if you could give me some insight I will and happily answer questions about any aspect of any car. Thanks for the FI info, I'm aware of a local sale of a Apexi S-AFC unit and was trying to find settings info, I'm trying to talk him down to 150 or less so time will tell. I don't want to start a turbo tread yet, I rather post a DIY when it's completed so I don't get negative feedback about failure/quitting habits from past experimenters. As for my engine, I spent 2-3 full months of polishing by hand everyday for 5-12hours to get a mirror/chrome finish. I did the valve cover, upper intake, throttle body, MAF sensor, front of the head, water pump hose attachments, and oil filter canister. Ever so often I disconnect from society for a few months and get fixated on meaningless projects/games and cannot control it until I'm fully satisfied or completed the problem. You can't tell because of my typing abilities, but I have a speech impairment. When I get asked a complex question in person it's hard to formulate my excessive cognitive thoughts into speech and I end up jumbling words. When typing, I'm able to respond at my pace, which bypasses the "slow" perception some people may receive in person. This drives me away from society, but in seclusion I obtain massive amounts of information across many aspects of life. So, don't be afraid to ask me anything from biology to airframe and powerplant to stocks and business management.

tiFreak
11-07-2008, 10:30 PM
the inbox just lets you communicate with other members privately, I think you have to have 15 posts or be a member for a week to unlock it, I'm not sure

2-3 months everyday for hours a day!?!?! :eek::eek: that's commitment, lol, it definitely shows in the quality

96cali
11-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Welcome! I've been a member here since 2002 and look forward to your contributions. I think you are wise about the turbo thread- you seem confident so make it happen! :biggrin:

rcrobbins
11-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the info and compliment. I'll start replying to a few threads and take some updated pics to post. I'll also post pics and maybe a video link of my auto-x event on Sunday. I'm ready to wipe some times of the 944/911's and WRX's that can't hang in the STX class I run. :biggrin: BTW- Expect the turbo thread after Thanksgiving or mid Dec., since I like to take my time, research, and then do everything correctly, and thank you for the confidence.