PDA

View Full Version : steering pulls after turning

wolferj-RIP
11-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Having an odd steering issue after the installation of the new RDSport struts and springs...

After making a turn to either the right or left, the steering doesn't want to come back to center completely, and then wants to pull that direction after I straighten it out. The sharper/harder the turn, the more severe the pull is (seems a little worse after right turns than left turns). After a few minutes of driving forward with no turns, the pulling lessens or goes away for the most part.

Just had it aligned, so that is not the case...

Anyone experience this before? Help!

elchicano
11-12-2008, 12:49 AM
hope it has nothing to do with RD Sport suspension. I'm not really sure but i would check the power steering.

roadrash
11-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Did you change anything else that would have changed the geometry of the front wheels, e.g. the caster?

wolferj-RIP
11-12-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the new suspension. I suspect the steering rack, but I'm just guessing. The power steering pump isn't acting funny or making any unusual noise. I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow for another opinion.

Nothing else on the car was worked on when the suspension components were changed.
Tires and rims are the same as before as well...

I did some more searching here and read something about one of the connector parts of the steering rack being over tightened causing a similar issue, but there didn't seem to be anyone who posted about an issue like this...

lpcapital
11-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Could it be the bearing on the front suspension mount? Did you assemble the washers in the correct position?

wolferj-RIP
11-12-2008, 04:54 AM
Could it be the bearing on the front suspension mount? Did you assemble the washers in the correct position?

I think you hit the nail on the head... I didn't install the struts myself, so I can't be sure the washers are in the right order. I did more searching on bf.c and found a thread with the exact same problem... http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389713

Incorrectly placed washers... Just goes to show, I shoulda done it myself... Just didn't have time and I was impatient, so I had it done.

(Since I've been laid off (2 weeks ago, after 19 years), I have all the time in the world.)

Thanks for the tip!

lpcapital
11-12-2008, 05:14 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head... I didn't install the struts myself, so I can't be sure the washers are in the right order. I did more searching on bf.c and found a thread with the exact same problem... http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389713

Incorrectly placed washers... Just goes to show, I shoulda done it myself... Just didn't have time and I was impatient, so I had it done.

(Since I've been laid off (2 weeks ago, after 19 years), I have all the time in the world.)

Thanks for the tip!

I would recommend you take them apart again and make sure all the washer are positioned correctly so that the bearing works as designed.

When I took mine apart I used RealOEM and the Bentley to reassemble: they both show real clear the order of assembly. I also made sure the bearing was spinning freely and added some grease.

Also, I wouldn't use an impact wrench neither to assemble nor disassemble the strut... I don't personally like any of these tool as I can't "feel" things.

Sorry about your job... Are tough time for all of us...

wolferj-RIP
11-12-2008, 05:39 AM
I would recommend you take them apart again and make sure all the washer are positioned correctly so that the bearing works as designed....

I am going to take the car back to the shop who did the work (along with the bentley manual!) and have them fix it, on their nickel... The shop owner is a good guy, he will make it right...

Sorry about your job... Are tough time for all of us...

Thanks, I'm ok, and it has given me the opportunity to re-evaluate where I'm headed. Besides, I paid into the unemployment fund all these years, I'm now gonna get some back!

lpcapital
11-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I am going to take the car back to the shop who did the work (along with the bentley manual!) and have them fix it, on their nickel... The shop owner is a good guy, he will make it right...

I'm not surehow the bentley for the 318ti is, but on the Z3 it's missing a washer in the diagram. Technically is not a washer but a dust protector which gouse between the lower washer and the bearing. It's concave to cover the bearing and it's likely stuck on the bearing iteself because of the grease. I would remove it, clean it, and add some new grease. If you look up on RealOEM you'll what I'm talking about.

wolferj-RIP
11-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Which washer(s) are you referring to...

#6 on the spring diagram from realoem is missing from the bentley e36 diagram

lpcapital
11-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Which washer(s) are you referring to...

#6 on the spring diagram from realoem is missing from the bentley e36 diagram

That is exactly the one. Because of the grease it tends to stick to the shock mount, but I would remove it, clean it (it gets dust and dirt in there), and add some new grease. It's concave to cover the balls, hold the grease, and avoid dirt to get in there.
There's also 2 other washers involved: #3 is the smaller; #7 is the bigger.
Once the strut is assembled the shock mount has to move freely. Make sure the bearing has not too much play and it doesn't wobble too much.

cooljess76
11-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey James, it also sounds like one of your springs might not be seated properly. This may or may not be the case, but there's an indentation on the spring perch and rubber pad for the end of the coil to rest in. Should be fairly easy to check it if you turn the wheels outward you could reach in there and give them a couple jerks. While you're in there, take a look at your swaybar links.

wolferj-RIP
11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks everyone (Lp, Jess, Roadrash) for your input and suggestions... I'm off to the shop with all the info in hand and we should be able to get this fixed!

Keep you posted...

wolferj-RIP
11-14-2008, 03:55 AM
Issue resolved!!! And let me tell you that the shop owner was irritated with his workers for this goof... He also didn't want to believe me when I told him it was just washers left off... he was sure that there was a problem with the steering rack.

Thanks again to everyone for their input and assistance... Once again, the .org saved the day!

elchicano
11-14-2008, 05:33 AM
good to know. Yeah that could have caused an accident. It's good to hear you got it resolved and it just goes to show that just because you take it to a shop it doesn't mean they didn't forget something.

lpcapital
11-14-2008, 06:45 AM
So was it a washer problem indeed? Thanks for reporting back