PDA

View Full Version : OK, Thanks But I Still Need Help

Jordan James
08-06-2002, 04:15 AM
Whats going on. Here's my problem. In case ya'll didnt know I'm really into the whole import scene. I really appreciate ya'll's advice on the whole street racing thing, and how its a dangerous thing. I'm not planning on racing it, sorry I did not make that clear. What I am planning on doing is taking it to shows. So heres my question/questions...

- What are some good add-ons that would be good for a show?
- What exterior mod's add to a more import look?
- What are some inexpensive mod's that look good or perform well?

Any other info you guys have on the import show scene would be appreciated!

--------------------------------------------
It Aint Just Bout Civics and Integras, TI's need love too!

J!m
08-06-2002, 04:51 PM
Get a set of M3 (four-door) mirrors (all the Hondas copy them, mide as well have the real thing)

M3 side skirts (rocker covers) Hondas copy these too.

Do you have the sport package with the M3 style front bumper cover? If so, you can add the factory splitter to the bottom, which is a bit more aggressive looking than without. Also, you can replace the "slat" grill with the M3 "mesh" grill in the lower bumper, if you like that look.

Again, if it's for show, ditch the nitros idea.

------------------
"Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

Jordan James
08-07-2002, 04:29 AM
Hey Jim,

Thanks for replying. I do have the M3 front and I want that splitter you were talking about. Do you know where to get that along with the mesh thing. I know where to get the mirrors and I was thinking either headlight covers or a carbon fiber hood from erebuni. Also, listen to this sweet idea. I'm designing my own body kit. Now dont laugh, because as we all know its hard to find sweet looking body kits. My best friend for life's Dad owns a body and fiberglass shop and we're gonna custom make a front and perhaps sideskirts for the TI. When/If its done I'll post pics. Pretty exciting!

J!m
08-07-2002, 04:53 PM
The splitter and mesh grille are available from the dealer, and occasionally on eBay. If you join the BMW car club of america, you can get a decent discount on new parts at the dealer (10-20% depending on the dealer)

Good luck with the 'glass work. I'm actually considering a carbon hood myself. Do you have more information on it? I wanted a 'glass hood from MAShaw, but I think they only have them for 2-door E36 cars. The ti uses a 4-door hood. Also, for me, the fit and finish must be first rate. I don't want to spend a month getting the hood in shape before I install it...

I'm actually going to attempt to graft am M3 LTW rear wing to my ti at some point. It should be interesting...

------------------

bbnmcas
08-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Splitter posted on ebay today. Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1849639300

bbnmcas
08-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Here's the mesh grill.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1849082813

bbnmcas
08-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Here is a link to some pics of the ti, including a pic of my ti with a mesh grill front.
http://www.geocities.com/bbnmcas/Myphotos.html

I have an akimoto intake, headers, and exhaust. The tires are 225/45ZR 17 Kumho Ecsta 712s on 17" 328i rims.

I am selling a brand new intake that I was going to put on my car but decided to keep the current set up. It is on ebay, here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1849180975

If you have any other questions let me know I have alot of websites.

bbnmcas
08-07-2002, 11:00 PM
J!m: I thought about your idea of grafting a M3 LTW onto the ti. Have you considered taking a set of altezza lights from a 4dr 318i and cutting them down to fit the ti? The only difference between the 4dr and the ti is the legnth of the tail lights, right? Anyways, think about it.

StevenTN318
08-08-2002, 06:28 AM
Is that possible. To cut the taillights down to fit the ti? B/c i don't want those red/clear crappers. This could be my chance! Whoo hoo!

------------------
Why look like all my friends at high school and drive a civic, when I can beat them in my TI?

J!m
08-09-2002, 02:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of those lights. Never gave it a thought.

I have the stock amber lights, and I like them just fine.

------------------

TrickedBMW
10-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Okay, a few questions relating to this...

I too am into the import scene and am looking for possible upgrades and such. It seems there isn't a whole lot of stuff on the market for the 318ti that fits the import scene, I just recently found a nice carbon fiber hood with ram air capabilities, but that's about it...

SOO, I am very interested in shaving the Altezza lights...is it possible??

AND I looked at the page that is linked up above and there is a picture of a BMW that is set up for racing on the track and has jsut about every aesthetic modification on it I could dream of on it...where did you get that picture and how can I learn more about it??? (it was grey with black stripes)

Thanx

Travis
10-15-2002, 07:05 AM
For aerodynamics and lighting kits:
Try BMP designs and Bavarian Autosport.
They both have decent websites and will send a catalog if you request one on-line.

ayton
10-16-2002, 12:26 PM
personal opinion...the ltw wing on the ti looks ridiculous! carbon fiber hoods are available for the ti it uses a 4 dr hood. my friend had one on his.parts aren't that hard to find as long as you know where to look,ask specifics and maybe I can help. what are you looking for in particular. No altezzas please http://www.happytogether.com/318ti/forum/frown.gif

Suddha
10-16-2002, 09:18 PM
Amen... I am seeing so many ti's these days all tricked out to look like cheap Japanese street cruisers. It's disheartening. I think understated German "form follows function" design is best.

Please no Altezzas. Or wings. Or coffee can exhausts.

Sorry, I'm a purist.

J!m
10-22-2002, 01:44 AM
The problem is that the LTW wing (as rediculus as you all may think it LOOKS) actually WORKS. This is the point. Run it low for high speed use, and up in the sky for low speed use. The adjustability is nice, because no one wing will work for all applications. (the "stock" M3 wings are worth less than dental floss at a Willie Nelson concert...DEAD WEIGHT)

I suppose I COULD get a nice adjustable aluminum wing (as seen on the "Fast & Foolish") and look like a REAL Ass-Clown. Maybe go full-tilt and mount it at the rear of the roof where it can get good "clean" air... If this route is planned, it is important that the wing be at least 6 inches wider than the car, for maximum stupidity.

I prerfer the factory parts. BMW has a wind tunnel- I don't. BMW has a racing budget and team. Also, the LTW front splitter WORKS. It's also adjustable. The LTW is a factory spec RACE CAR, and the parts work.

I prefer to refer to the "coffee-can" exhaust as the "sheep-raper" exhaust. It sounds like the driver is treating a goat to unholy punnishment...And it does not like it!

------------------

ayton
10-23-2002, 05:25 PM
CLARIFICATION...I don't think the LTW wing is ridiculous, I think it LOOKS RIDICULOUS ON THE TI. The ti is much to short of a car for the LTW wing. I have seen it w/one installed and as stated before...on the sedan in lowered form on the coupe lowered or raised it looks bada$$ and performs the duties when used in conjunction w/the LTW splitter. these are just my opinions I just wanted to clarify my earlier post.

TrickedBMW
10-24-2002, 01:36 PM
Well, my plan isn't to join the rice rockets out there, but to blow them all out of the water. I'd like my car to look like it is "full-race" while still being streetable, i.e. stripped interior, rollcage, racing body, the works...

As far as the BMW race car goes, does ANYONE know where and if it is possible to obtain those parts without custom making them yourself? (I am referring to the body, in particular the widened fenders). My ultimate goal is to get my car as close to the BMW GT as possible, while still being somewhat original.

As far as the lights go, I'm not sure on those, but any suggestions for customization would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking either modifying the body to make them appear to be a smaller, and less boring shape, or transplanting lights from a different model car into them. Again I don't know, but I think that the "Altezza style" lights would actually work on mine, my paint job is a a bright safety orange and that works very well with chrome.

And for those of you laughing now, I painted my car a year and a half before FatF came out! Few cars had the color and I was happy that it was "my" color, but that movie ruined all my dreams!!! Everyone has it now...*sigh*

TrickedBMW
10-24-2002, 01:38 PM
P.S. Could anyone post a link where I could get or look at this "LTW" wing? I imagine you are referring to what is on the GT car but I haven't seen any for sale anywhere, thanx.

ayton
10-24-2002, 02:57 PM
here it is http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/body/body_e36m3_wing_lg.jpg