PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and a question or two

v8guy
12-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi,

Just registered for this site so I thought I'd say hello! My username 'v8guy' comes from my other car, but that's another story for another time. :)

My 318ti is missing the owners manual... any ideas where I can get hold of a copy, electronic or otherwise?

Reason for wanting one is that I need to know what size tyres my car should be wearing. When I bought it I found 4 completely different tyres, so I've no idea which is the correct one.. I've a standard 318ti Sport with 16" rims..

cheers,
guy

v8guy
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh, and another question... this one's been bugging the hell out of me..

My electric windows work faultlessly, provided that you don't want to use them within about 1 minute of switching on the ignition... why?! Is it just my car that does this, or is this some kind of "feature"?

Maverix
12-04-2008, 04:21 PM
It should say on your Lower B pillar what your tire size should be. Atleast mine does.

As for the window problem, that's just you =\

tiFreak
12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
welcome, you should have 205/55R16 tires on your car

v8guy
12-04-2008, 04:54 PM
205/55R16
Thanks, I think a couple of those already on the car are of that size.. the others are 225/50

Any recommendations for tyres? I've had Pirelli P6000 on my other car for a long time and they've always seemed ok.. I've always liked Bridgestone on my bike, but I've never tried their car tyres.

Any other recommendations?

(and jeez... tyres for this car are expensive! I'm used to paying half the price..)

Maverix
12-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks, I think a couple of those already on the car are of that size.. the others are 225/50

Any recommendations for tyres? I've had Pirelli P6000 on my other car for a long time and they've always seemed ok.. I've always liked Bridgestone on my bike, but I've never tried their car tyres.

Any other recommendations?

(and jeez... tyres for this car are expensive! I'm used to paying half the price..)

Potenza's are great! My tires have no tread and I still get wonderful grip on turns. You wont be disappointing.

And it's "tires". Not "tyres" :tongue:

Mallard
12-04-2008, 08:34 PM
And it's "tires". Not "tyres" :tongue:

:lol: no its not ;) it depends what continent your standing on !

V8mate, get a manual from BMW , costs about a tenner ;)

the windows, what is wrong exáctly ?

Maverix
12-04-2008, 08:38 PM

Lol really?! I did not know that! :eek: :tongue:

v8guy
12-04-2008, 08:46 PM

It's 'tyre' where I'm standing :)
'tire' is something that happens after physical exertion :p

the windows, what is wrong exáctly ?
The windows simply refuse to work until the ignition's been on for about a minute, every time.. to the point where I'm thinking it's meant to be like that! There's no other fault with them... once active, they work perfectly.

v8guy
12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Potenza's are great! My tires have no tread and I still get wonderful grip on turns.
mm... I'm not sure slicks would be entirely wise or legal to be honest, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Mallard
12-04-2008, 08:59 PM
can u hear the motors working , or trying to work, and clicking at all ?

Maverix
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM
mm... I'm not sure slicks would be entirely wise or legal to be honest, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

They aren't slicks. They once had plenty of tread on them. From driving recklessly, I managed to wear out the treads. I'm just trying to describe how reliable they are.

All statements are exempt during icy or wet road conditions. :tongue:

Mallard
12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
.. f..k man, tyres without tread are called slicks..

Christmas List

1) Buy Mavrick a clue.

Maverix
12-04-2008, 10:27 PM

Christmas List

1) Buy Mavrick a clue.

I always thought they were drag tires :tongue:

I already have a Clue (http://www.cluedofan.com/cluedoims/merch/DVD/clue_dvd_game2.jpg), and a Life (http://www.gameofreallife.com/images/boxgame7inch.jpg).

v8guy
12-04-2008, 10:54 PM
can u hear the motors working , or trying to work, and clicking at all ?
Nope, nothing. If it was a malfunction I'd expect it to be more random.. as is, it's like clockwork... about a minute after ignition, they work perfectly, every time. Such consistency feels like a feature, not a fault!

Could this be a UK spec thing? I can imagine some Bavarian engineer taking great delight in such a thing..

Damnit.. my E30 was never like this. Built to last, that one. :)

tiFreak
12-05-2008, 02:07 AM

Christmas List

1) Buy Mavrick a clue.

2) buy Maverix new tires :tongue:

Maverix
12-05-2008, 04:03 AM
2) buy Maverix new tires :tongue:

I have that game too! http://free-sports-games.org/images-screen/TheOlympicTire.jpg

:wink::tongue:

But no really. I have inspection tomorrow. I'm 100% sure my tires wont pass. Wish me luck :biggrin:

elchicano
12-05-2008, 07:29 AM
i think the wiring may be faulty. Have you tried moving the windows up/down when your key is in the ignition. By this i mean that you turn the key forward but not turning the ignition on. Hope i make sense.:redface:

Mallard
12-05-2008, 09:20 PM
no the windows should work from the moment the ignition is turned, on some models with comfort closing feature, the windows work even after the key is removed, as well as the sunroof.

Not normal for this to happen.. :?

v8guy
12-06-2008, 02:00 PM
i think the wiring may be faulty. Have you tried moving the windows up/down when your key is in the ignition. By this i mean that you turn the key forward but not turning the ignition on. Hope i make sense.:redface:
Just experimented with this.. ignition on or off (key turned one click forward)... nothing for 90 seconds [1]. Once they come alive, they work with the key in either position as expected. Sunroof is clearly on the same circuit as the behaviour is the same.

After turning off the ignition and removing the key, the windows still work until the door is opened.. I assume this is the "comfort closing feature" mentioned above.

[1] I timed it from the initial first turn of the key in the ignition, not from unlocking the car with the remote.

shonky
12-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Hello London :)

Mines a UK spec too and my windows work fine.......im sure that is an electrical fault on yours....if you remember on your E30 they had a cut out button for the electric windows, maybe the ti has a thermal fuse and its failing on yours? just thinking out loud really?

Oh and by the way US guys

We invented the English language so when we say its Tyres it is tyres
also its Colour and Aluminium too :D

tiFreak
12-07-2008, 05:04 PM
We invented the English language so when we say its Tyres it is tyres
also its Colour and Aluminium too :D

no, I refuse, bonnets are for babies, not cars :mad: :tongue:

Mallard
12-07-2008, 05:35 PM
and hoods are for gansters ;) whats your point :P

scoti49
12-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Some German electricity can be very slow (casual even)....but will usually get to where its supposed to go sooner or later .

Just think of it as a form of New Technology and your the one whose Embracing Technology .

Remind yourself each time ...........
The past owner had it fitted as a Feature and at great cost ????

DaedHead8
01-03-2009, 05:23 PM
^ That reminds me of my first car. It was an 1986 Audi 5000s with brakes that never wanted to work properly. No matter what I'd replace they would always lock up whenever I drove for more then 5 minutes. It got to the point where I could drive with out using the brake pedal, I'd come to a complete stop automatically. I started calling them the automatic brakes and chalked it up to those crazy German engineers. I even used that phrase with the guy I sold the car to. I had to tell him about the faulty brakes somehow. lol

oboeajusco
03-20-2009, 02:04 AM
hey guys, me again, I am also wanting to know what kind of tires you all like. potenzas are very expensive here south of the border, michelin too, everybody raves about potenzas but are they really worth it for boring city driving with loads of potholes and speed bumps. i must go over 75 speed bumps a day. Don't cry for me but i don't get a whole lot of highway driving on my new absolutely gorgeoous ti. so.... I ordered some BF Goodrich g force, some of my friends laugh at me but for regular driving are they safe and good enough? Don't tell me they aren't even on the list!!!!
HELP!
And like tyre guy said, geez they are expensive for this car, i actually talked to Continental tire store today they want 4900 MEX each tire for contisportcontact, imported from Germania that were original the originals here on this car.Lets see that's like 320US each tire. And yes I asked if that was PER TIRE!
Ok, so can you recommend a great all season tire for me? No snow EVER but lots of rain 5 months out of the year.
Thanks boys!

bob///M
03-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Toyo Proxes T1S R 86V on the front
TOYO PROXES R888 on the rear
that will stick to the road

1996 328ti
03-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Toyo Proxes T1S R 86V on the front
TOYO PROXES R888 on the rear
that will stick to the roadNot a good idea.
I would never mix R comps with street tires.

Let alone different tread and compound of any tire.