PDA

View Full Version : Is the heater supposed to be this slow??

nesticle
12-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi all, this is my first winter with the ti, and I'm wondering whether its supposed to take as long as it does to warm the inside of the car up. My 94 Jetta was uncomfortably warm within a matter of a few minutes, but it seems to take like 4-5 minutes to get a bearable temperature, then about 15+ minutes for it to get nice and warm.

Just unsure whether this is normal or not. Thanks!

briansol
12-18-2008, 10:05 PM
mine is the same way... takes a while to get warm in the car.
the cold leather doesn't help either :burrr:

Will'sBimmer
12-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Mine takes a little while but it isn't bad. In cold weather I let it warm up outside of the blue before I get in the car and leave unless I am somewhere say a store or restaurant. It takes maybe 5-7 mins after I start driving to get to the middle.

aceyx
12-19-2008, 05:03 AM
Newer Jettas (MK3+?) have auxiliary electric heaters. The ti--like most cars--runs off an exchanger to the coolant.

Mallard
12-21-2008, 09:33 PM
its pretty normal :(

have a good look at the temp guage. It doesnt show that accurately(sp) the temp but if the thermostat is a little tired then it doesnt open that well, slowing the heating process..

J!m
12-22-2008, 07:45 PM
It could be a bit low on coolant as well- this has been covered many times before.

It could also be a plugged HEPA filter. If you turn on the recirculate button, does the fan blow 'harder'? If so, your filters are plugged.

In the mean time, just run it on recirculate until it gets warm, then switch it back to fresh air.

autoxerwgn
12-26-2008, 04:55 AM
I noticed the same thing when I first purchased my ti. I think I figured out why when I did my swap. When I took the covers off the blower motor, I found that the ti only has 1 squirrel cage attached to the motor where the M3 blower motor has 2. The interior seems to warm up faster now that I have the M3 heater box in the car but who knows, could be the blower motor difference, or possibly a bigger heater core, or I might just be imagining things.....