PDA

View Full Version : new 98 318ti = big mistake

harriman
12-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Hello all,
I just bough ta 1998 318ti on tuesday off Craigslist. It drove nice looks to be in decent shape so I decided to buy it. Now I'm thinking that this is a mistake. On my way home I went to turn the car off.. and to my surprise the thing won't turn off. Now its at the dealer, and its going to cost me $800 :(. Then I go down to the DMV to register the car and I find out that it has a branded title :( Something the previous owner failed to tell me. So now I have to get CHP to inspect the car, make sure its not stolen and make sure it does not contain any stolen parts. I know that the car needs a new cat, the airbag light is on, and now I'm nervous that the abs breaks are going bad because the traction control light comes on when you start driving.

Any suggestions?

Should have done a carfax before I bought the car. The person seemed to be honest but it turns out he got the better of me. I paid 3500 for the car. Now i'm going to dump 800 into the ignition and who knows how much in the airbags and traction control and new CAT! :( Totally bummed. Maybe just get rid of the car of just fix it?? The dealer thinks that the airbag light is because of a bad seatbelt on drivers side. So that does not sound to bad. What about the traction control? If this is failing is this going to make me fail a break test? Very sad.. all i want to do is drive the car.

-Harri

tiFreak
12-21-2008, 07:25 PM
sorry to hear man, if the airbag light is caused by the seatbelt buckle, just don't worry about it, the airbags still work, also, I'm not sure about how the traction control works but it might be normal if it comes on then goes off when you start driving

ATF
12-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Does the check engine light illuminate prior to starting the car? I would hook it up to an OBD reader and see if you can get any codes (other than the cat). The traction control could be wheel speed sensors that are toast.

harriman
12-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I need to have the airbag light off for the inspection. Since its salvaged I have to do smog, break and light inspection and CHP inspection. The CHP inspection requires me to have no AirBag lights on etc. yes the CEL comes on before starting the car, and while the car is running. The guy I bought if from insisted that it was a CAT code but now i'm starting to doubt that. As far as the traction control it comes on when you start driving and does not turn off. i don't really care about having traction control i'm just wondering if this is going to effect my break test. Are the traction control light and ABS light are separate? I'm wondering if I should just get rid of this car or keep trying to fix it. what do you guys think? I'm already 800 in it for the key problem and I think the airbag.. if it really is just the seat belt is going to be around 200. I called a few places and a new CAT is going to be around 650.. sigh :(

cooljess76
12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, if you go to the dealer, you're going to get ripped off even worse. I know the ignition problem is a pretty simple fix if you source the parts and DIY. There's a few threads floating around on this forum from people who had the same problem. The catalytic converter will run about 1800 bucks from the dealer, I'd try to find a used one from someone parting out there car on here since junkyards cant sell catalytic converters. They usually sell used on the forums for around 300 bucks. There's a couple recent threads with cats for sale, hotmilk400 just found one locally and there's a couple more that he passed up. The airbag light is a common problem as well, usually it's the seat belt latch, you could probably find a used one, but make sure it's the newer pyrotechnic style and not the cable actuated one. You'll need the tool to extinguish the light, otherwise most repair shops can do it for a small fee. The ASC light may be coming on if your tires are different sizes or maybe the ASC valve has been removed or tampered with. Sometimes people think it's a throttle body and try to rev the engine from under the hood. This in turn lets the cable slip out of it's track, preventing the ASC to operate as normal. Some helpful sites for you would be:
www.realoem.com This site has really nice illustrations and gives you part numbers and cross-references to find out what's compatible with your car. Just type in the last 7 of your vin or enter your vehicle's make and model info.

www.pelicanparts.com www.getbmwparts.com These two sites have great deals on OEM BMW parts. Pretty fast shipping and awesome customer service.

And you might try these guys sine you live in NorCal, they're located in Rancho Cordova near Sacramento:
www.bmrparts.com

Good luck!

harriman
12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Cool thanks again for the help. Should I change the sensors when i change the cat? I read somewhere that people were trying to put them in baking soda to clean them?

Thanks

harriman
12-21-2008, 08:17 PM
For some reason my previous post did not make it on here. But I need to have the airbag light off for the CHP test. And I'm wondering if a faulty traction control will have any effect on the ABS. Some shops around here have quoted me 5-600 for a new cat. So hopefully thats the only reason why the CEL is on. Thats what the previous owner said but who knows if he is telling the truth. Hopefully I can get this car running and on the road. All i want to do is drive :(. If I were to order a new cat is this somethign I would be able to install? Or do I have to cut the old one out with a torch? I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Anyways.. Thanks for the help.

-Harrison

cooljess76
12-21-2008, 08:29 PM
For some reason my previous post did not make it on here. But I need to have the airbag light off for the CHP test. And I'm wondering if a faulty traction control will have any effect on the ABS. Some shops around here have quoted me 5-600 for a new cat. So hopefully thats the only reason why the CEL is on. Thats what the previous owner said but who knows if he is telling the truth. Hopefully I can get this car running and on the road. All i want to do is drive :(. If I were to order a new cat is this somethign I would be able to install? Or do I have to cut the old one out with a torch? I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Anyways.. Thanks for the help.

-HarrisonYou need to get an OEM cat. Most aftermarket cats will fail within a couple months. If you haven't already done so, go to AutoZone and borrow their OBDII scantool. Read the codes and find out if you do in fact need a cat. If it comes back with "catalyst inefficiency", then yes. As for the o2 sensors, I wouldn't submerge them in anything. If they don't throw a code, then leave them alone. If you want to replace them, It's going to cost about 180 bucks(60-70 for the pre-cat, 120-130 for the post-cat). The catalytic converter itself is bolt on, you may want to buy new bolts/nuts/seals before removing it. Sometimes the bolts snap off when you try to remove them. As mentioned before, check your tire sizes for the ABS & ASC problem. If for some reason the wheels are spinning at a different rate of speed, it wil trigger the ASC. If they are all the same, check your ASC valve and controller/solenoid. The airbag light is more than likely due to a faulty seatbelt latch, but I'd have it checked to make sure(not at the dealer!).

1996 328ti
12-22-2008, 12:32 AM
For some reason my previous post did not make it on here.Certain keywords from new members puts the post into moderation. Keeps spam down to a very minimum

1996 328ti
12-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Another thing that will cause the ASC light to stay lit is a loose throttle cable.
I don't change 02 sensors until the CEL stays lit.

harriman
12-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Will an non OEM cat alloy me to pass emissions in ca.. i just need to pass emissions once, and then i'm good.. what do you guys think.?

96cali
12-22-2008, 02:11 AM
There was a short lived member here (no pun intended but he did sell his Ti for medical reasons) named Moose who replaced his cat and claimed no code after 300 miles. No guarantee but it was 120 bucks and he seemed to do his research. Check it out:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22899

As for the other stuff, divide and conquer or sell cuz it will be most expensive to keep this car.

hotmilk400
12-22-2008, 03:29 AM
I found a few people that offered a Cat on here for very cheap.

there is a guy in NY that must part out used BMWs and post on here often. he will ship u a used cat for about $125 - $150. his name on here is Demus. u should be able to PM him and ask him about a Cat. he finds them for you very fast and he barely wants anything for them.

i bought one local for $200. before u buy a new cat, get someone to read the code to make sure its a cat code, maybe its just an O2 sensor. dont use your old O2 sensors because they are probably wrecked, and will cause damage to a Cat.

anyway, concerning the ABS system, alot of things can set it up. check the diagrams to make sure everything under the hood is there. i doubt its related to the brakes. its probably something concerning under the hood. if something is disconnected, or if something isnt working together, it will turn off ASC..

i know if u touch the trottle under the hood, it turns off and stays off. also, if u touch any of the air valves on the air intake, the light will turn on and stay on.

also, concerning tire size, if they were different tire sizes, the ASC wouldn't turn on as soon as u start the car, and would turn off when u make a stop. if the ABS is turning on as soon as u start the car and rev the motor, then its a valve or something not related to how your tires are spinning.

you have the same year car as mine. take a quick pick under the hood and post it so i can compare it to whats under my hood, its possible the whole ABS is missing on the air intake. some bmws that year dont have it because when i rebuilt my BMW's abs/air intake, a website sent me all the wrong parts, parts for a 1998 that doesn't have abs, or at least one like mine.

listen to 96 cali. if there are a few problems like that, it is probally better off to sell it. all the parts are very expensive. i need a new door for my bmw (i bought it knowing the door was smashed) later i found out a stripped down used door at a junk yard was $800, the full door was $1100. well, i only paid $1500 for the entire car.

didnt u test drive the car first? if there are stolen parts on the car, call the police on the seller. he is responsible because he installed them. my friend installed new tires on a car then sold the car. the one tire fell off, causing the car to crash into someone else. the other person sued both the new owner and my friend (the seller) because of the accident.

harriman
12-22-2008, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the help. Just to clarify one thing. The ABS light and the traction control light are two different lights?

As of now I just have the traction control light on. No ABS light. Unless they are the same thing.

Also. can I use an OEM cat from another state and have it pass CA emissions..

thanks for the help.
-Harri

hotmilk400
12-22-2008, 03:39 AM
my bad... i meant ASC light. the light right in between the rpms and teh speedometer. its yellow/orange with a spin picture on it.

as for the cat, i am not a 100% sure, but all the BMW cats should be the same, and should pass no matter what, if they are in working condition.

briansol
12-22-2008, 05:04 AM
the air bag light might be the seat load siwtch. seems to be a common problem (sensor that detects that a person is in the seat so that air bag will deploy or not)

campaiar
12-22-2008, 03:40 PM
..as for the cat, i am not a 100% sure, but all the BMW cats should be the same, and should pass no matter what, if they are in working condition.

Any cat from a '92-'99 318 will work. 6 Cyl. cats & pipes won't work without fabrication.

Just remember that a 1992 cat is 16-17 years old.

Will'sBimmer
12-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I say if you like the car then don't give up on it yet. I have had a tons of problems with my Ti and I have not given up on her just yet. I have had to replace plenty of parts but I know my car will last till about another 150,000 miles once I get everything set on it. My airbag light is on and will remain on. My last Ti had the airbag light on but when I hit those trees with the Ti both airbags deployed without question. And are you sure that the traction light just doesn't come on when you are in turn or something??? It is supposed to come on when it is working. And don't go to the dealer or other body shops because they will run you way to much money to fix something. Try to find the parts and do it yourself or at least get the parts yourself and then maybe have someone put them on for you. That will also make it cheaper on you.

harriman
12-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully I can get this car registered in CA. Due to the branded title I have to have CHP inspect the car, I can't have any of the airbag lights on etc. The car is already at the dealer for the key problem. But I have learned my lesson. This is the last time i go to the stealer. Thanks for the encouragement and wish me luck. I will keep you guys posted. Its going to be about a week before they get the part for the key issue. I can't wait. I just love the ti