PDA

View Full Version : spare tire

bmwgirl
06-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Hi, I am looking to buy a BMW 318ti. They are very nice cars. I saw one at a dealer, and I looked over the car, but I didn't see a spare tire. Do 318ti's come with spare tires? If they do, where is it supposed to be located, and where could I buy a replacement spare tire for the 318ti?
Thanks

1996 328ti
06-30-2002, 08:14 PM
The spare is located underneath the truck. Actually outside the car. It's removed by removing the carpet in the hatch and lowering it. It's also just a baby spare.

...steven

bmwgirl
07-03-2002, 02:07 AM
ok thanks

Platanos
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
my searching lead me here, i know its old but right on subject.

i had to remove the spare tire to put on the rear bumper. upon removal, i inspected it and i found some dry rotting. the spare is in awful shape and i thought about just keeping it off. plus the spare looks awful with the m rear imo. the problem is now there is a hole where the tire would normally mount to.

for those of you who have the "spare tire delete", what do you use to cover this hole? i dont want water coming in through the bottom of my hatch.

H3_2.1-ti
03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
my searching lead me here, i know its old but right on subject.

i had to remove the spare tire to put on the rear bumper. upon removal, i inspected it and i found some dry rotting. the spare is in awful shape and i thought about just keeping it off. plus the spare looks awful with the m rear imo. the problem is now there is a hole where the tire would normally mount to.

for those of you who have the "spare tire delete", what do you use to cover this hole? i dont want water coming in through the bottom of my hatch.

Fernando

Buy some high grade windshield urethane and a piece of ABS plastic or aluminum (preferable). Cut the piece 1/2" bigger in diameter than the opening. Then, all you need to do is clean the hole thoroughly with a degreaser then with some alcohol and put a bead of urethane around the whole. Place the round plate on the hole. Press down and clean the excess urethane off with an alcohol drenched shop towel. Now place a weight on the plate. Make sure you do this in your garage , so that there is no dust and you have a constant temperature. Leave it to dry at least 24 hours without moving or driving the car. It's a bit crude and very simple but very effective.

cali-ti
03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
i just removed the tire and then put the holder back in place :)

96cali
03-09-2006, 05:00 PM
The spare is located underneath the truck. Actually outside the car. It's removed by removing the carpet in the hatch and lowering it. It's also just a baby spare.

...steven

Just to clarify... Steven means trunk not truck, and I was actually quite impressed by how easy it was to release the spare. There is no need to climb under the car, it's all done from up top.

J!m
03-09-2006, 07:15 PM

I popped the spot welds on the tire carrier (it was damaged when I was rear-ended anyway), painted the bare metal on the carrier 'cone' to stop rust, and installed it in the original position. Now, the look from the rear is clean, it weighs less, and perfectly closes off the hole, as the factory intended. If I ever have the urge to replace the spare (even though it won't fit over the brakes, and the fact that I sold it), it will go right back in with a new carrier. No nasty urethane windshield adhesive to deal with etc.

Panzer_M
03-09-2006, 07:50 PM
I got a spare carrier around if someone wants it.

H3_2.1-ti
03-09-2006, 08:37 PM
No nasty urethane windshield adhesive to deal with etc.

Like I said, a bit crude but effective. Also, a water-tight permanent fix without welding.

Cheers,

J!m
03-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Agreed. And, probably lighter than the factory 'cone' too.

Who cares? I'm changing my entire trunk floor for the battery mount at some point...:biggrin:

318tibimmer
03-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Just to clarify... Steven means trunk not truck, and I was actually quite impressed by how easy it was to release the spare. There is no need to climb under the car, it's all done from up top.
It is easy to get out, but have to tried to put that thing back in by yourself and without a jack - *Near* impossible. I have just left mine out. I have my NOS line comming through the hole, havn't bothered to seal it up in any way. I am going to be doing some customizing to the trunk area, I will be sealing it up at that point.

Platanos
03-10-2006, 02:58 AM
thanks for the feedback guys!!! i'll probably go with Philip's suggestion...

96cali
03-10-2006, 06:42 AM
It is easy to get out, but have to tried to put that thing back in by yourself and without a jack - *Near* impossible. I have just left mine out. I have my NOS line comming through the hole, havn't bothered to seal it up in any way. I am going to be doing some customizing to the trunk area, I will be sealing it up at that point.

Ahhh, I wouldn't know that because when Firestone fixed my tire they reinstalled my spare and carrier (correctly too, which was a surprise). :biggrin:

snwbrdrbum10
03-10-2006, 08:58 AM
ya, i had to take mine off when i got my flat, and i hear ya. it's a major bi*ch to get back in, i've left mine out, because i wasnt able to get it back in either. so, i think i'm going to do some 'customizing' as well...

HuGo
03-10-2006, 10:40 AM
When i went to go get my new tires, one of the guys said "let me see ur spare" This guy is my dads friend, well everyones at that tire shop. "got tires cheap price too" Anyway, they were changing all my tires and so he goes let me see ur spare. So i show it to him and everything and the damn tire didnt have air at all. The guy looked at me and is like, you have a spare with no air so it wouldnt do you any good. I started laughing and i was like, imagine i needed it. But of coarse, he put air in it. But i dont know how he just got the idea if wanting to check my spare, cuz i totally forgot i have one in the first place.

Also, when i first bought my neons, i couldnt fit the front ones because there was nothing to hold it there and a little long, and in the back, the tire thingy was one the way. So now, i need to just buy a 10' for the back and same for front but im not looking foward to doing that yet.