PDA

View Full Version : heated mirrors?

Suddha
02-04-2002, 10:17 PM
I was reading somewhere that my 96 ti Active supposedly came with heated side mirrors? Is this accurate? Do any of you have this feature? How does it switch on/off? I cannot find any documentation about this.

Thanks for any insights.

1996 328ti
02-08-2002, 03:43 AM
The heated mirrors are always on.
If they are not warm to the touch, it's either a bad element or blown fuse. Try booth mirrors.

You can pry out the mirror and test to see if 12volts is getting to the element.

...steven

Suddha
02-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks, Steven! I didn't realize that... I don't think they're burned out, i just didn't know if my car had this feature and how it worked. Now that I think of it, my mirrors never have stayed iced over.

1996 328ti
02-10-2002, 11:00 PM
If you are going to replace your mirrors, I replaced mine with a convex one for the driver's side, like the one on the right.

I only have the part numbers for M3 mirrors.
51 16 2 267 191 = driver's side
51 16 2 267 224 = passenger's side (no writing)

There is one series that the right side will fit on the left, upside down. I'm not sure if it was a 3-Series or 5-Series.

...steven

DougZ
02-11-2002, 03:07 PM
The Active definately does have the heated mirrors. I had my driverside one stop working, and brought it to the dealer to have it checked out. They told me that my car did not have the winter package( which includes heated lock, washer nozels and heated seats). I thought nothing of it. I just accepted that they were right. Then on a whim, I popped out the mirrow, and sure enough, there were two wires running to it. I then checked the passenger side one, and it worked fine. Moral of the story, never trust the dealer's work or knowledge, and never take for granted that they are right.
Just my two cents.

Suddha
02-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Thanks, guys. I checked out my driver's side mirror this weekend and it was cold to the touch. I suspect it is not working. Haven't checked the passenger side.

I hear you regarding the dealership. I have found a great alternative shop to go to for service.

I'd love a convex mirror on the driver's side.. I'll look into this.

J!m
05-02-2002, 06:39 PM
The heated mirrors turn on with the defroster, so they may not be warm when you touch them if the defroster is off (I think it's only the REAR defroster button which activates them) Also, they don't get all that hot, so you may not feel the heat.

On a morning when you have dew on the mirrors, wait a few minutes to see if they clear on their own. If not, turn on the rear defroster button, and watch the dew go away!

This is how mine work, anyway (1998 sport)

DougZ
05-03-2002, 03:02 AM
J!m: I think you are wrong about when the heated mirros come on. Mine are on whenever the key is turned past position 1. I do not have to have the defroster on. I have a 98 318ti Active.

1996 328ti
05-03-2002, 04:20 AM
Jim,
I had a 98ti and now a 96ti.
Both cars have always had the heating elements on, regardless of the rear defroster.

Seems silly to have the elements on in 90 degree weather. But that's the way it is.

J!m
05-03-2002, 10:32 PM
I'll have to check mine out. I've owned the car since new, so I know the wiring has not been tampered with (yet).

I'll have to do some experimenting. I guess if I pull the glass and check for voltage under different conditions, I'll know for sure.

I have all the original sales literature as well. Maybe it says something in there about it.

Maybe I'm wrong!

Nelly_318ti
07-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi! Which fuse slot is for the heated mirrors? On mine the passenger mirror don't work, I don't know if it is the heating element or not. I don't want to pull out the mirror as I don't know how and don't want to break the mirror. So I'll start in the fusebox first. And I'll go from there.

Thanks

aceyx
07-19-2005, 04:19 PM
my car is currently being garaged in PA since i don't need a car here.

but what i would do to find this out for you is to look on the underside of the fusebox. everything is listed on the sticker. if not, google has worked well for me.

CirrusSR22
06-14-2006, 11:29 PM
WTF! I never knew my mirrors were heated. They obviously don't work because I have ice on them all winter long. I just looked at my original window sticker and it says I have them. I've got to check out that heated door lock procedure too. (Lift up and hold the handle) Mine froze up last winter and I never knew.....

I know, I know, RTFM

But, the window sticker also says I have side airbags which I definitely don't.