PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Washer

bmw318tiChic
02-15-2003, 04:51 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if you guys know if the ti has a seperate windshield washer fluid pump or resevior for the back windshield. My front windshield washer works but the one in the rear doesn't, so I was wondering if you guys know what to check or anything. Thanks..

Rachel

1996 328ti
02-15-2003, 10:17 PM
There is no additional reservoir. Our reservoirs are larger than regular E36s.

I have heard of the tube disconnecting at the hatch.

I'd look at that first.

bmw318tiChic
02-17-2003, 05:04 AM
thanks

fourbanger
02-17-2003, 07:56 AM
I have heard of the tube disconnecting at the hatch.
------------------------------------------------------------
You're kidding me right? ALL this time I thought I didn't have a rear jet.. :x ... Where's this tube? It must've been disconnected a long time cuz I've NEVER seen it fire.

fourbanger
02-18-2003, 08:59 AM
nevermind, disregard my previous comment :)

apparently nobody in my family ever held down the stalk for the rear wiper jet to fire. :P

Try holding it down for a while to see if maybe it was clogged or something. That happened to me, and after a few seconds it cleared up and just about wet everything. The floor under the back of my ti makes it look like it pee'd itself. :lol:

J!m
03-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Two cents:

I RARELY use the rear washer on my car. When I do, it takes a good 10 seconds to get the rear window wet. It seems that the fluid evaporates from the hose if it is not used for a while.

schussey
01-10-2004, 04:32 AM
I suppose my rear washer is clogged or disconnected, for I didn't even know we had one! I personally don't really see a huge purpose in it

robcarync
01-10-2004, 08:50 PM
rear washer? never knew it had one...learning stuff is cool!

schussey
01-10-2004, 08:58 PM
haha was new to me as well

ElementalFiend
06-15-2004, 09:41 AM
lol.. is this rear washer on all TIs? cause I didn't know I had one either..

woh
09-27-2011, 01:16 AM
My experience was a bit more complicated. '96 318ti
Key word; rear windshield washer

I replaced the washer pump and the front worked, but the rear did not. The way the front/rear washer is selected is by the windshield wiper. Whichever windshield wiper is on (off park) will squirt.

I tried cleaning the rear squirt nozzle, no luck. I tried removing the little water hose from the nozzle at the nipple, still no luck.

I had to remove the inside hatch liner. Behind the wiper motor assbly. there is a rubber hose that connects the wiper assembly to the hose from the pump. I disconnected it and some rust and dirt came out. At this point the little hose pumped fine with a bout a 3" throw.

I cleaned out the rubber hose.

The only way I was able to clean out the dirt from inside the wiber assembly was to apply about 15psi of air on the outside of the water hose until it cleared and spit out the dirt inside the hatch. (too much pressure may blow off the hose under the assembly) I then proceeded to reverse blow the nozzle as well since cleaning the little hole was not enough.

On reassembly everything now works. I still have to get some of the plastic fasteners I broke getting the hatch liner off. But I can see light at the end of the tunnel.