PDA

View Full Version : DA supercharger boost

asianwitattitude
02-19-2003, 08:37 AM
ok i know turbochargers have turbo boosters and crap which set the psi higher to get a higher hp gain. do superchargers have those too? and does the DA have that as well? because i dont wanna pay 3-4g's to get a supercharger that adds..40hp, i'd rather sell the car and buy a new bimmer with 3-4g's. but if there was a way to push the supercharger or change the turbine to make the supercharger more powerful, i'd like to know whats up with that :rolleyes:

fourbanger
02-19-2003, 09:13 AM
I believe, as superchargers are beltdriven, that there are pulley kits that will increase boost. Careful though, start boosting too much and you gotta start worrying about them pistons in your car.

If you want a massive HP gain from a 'blower, call different manufacturers and ask if they have kits for the ti (DA, Vortech, etc.). Then, come back and share all that great information with the rest of us! :D

deleonl1
02-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Another thing to worry about when adding more boost is the tranny and the differential.

ChrisSlamar
05-28-2003, 05:49 PM
with a turbo you can adjust the wastegate so more exhaust can flow to spin the turbine faster to force more air in. Superchargers are different in that they are pulley driven. the way you get more boost out of a supercharger is by changing the size of the pulley. for most superchargers you can get different size pulleys from the company. But remember unlike a turbo where you can change boost on the fly once you have the pulley in to change the boost you have to replace the pulley. last thing then i'll stop my rant. the from a supercharger is a constant boost based on RPMs so if you have a 6lbs pulley and you peak at 6000 rpms you have 1lb of boost per 1000rpm. just thought i'd post a bit of how they work. this is from my understanding feel free to correct me if im wrong.

ZeroG
08-04-2004, 03:38 PM
with a turbo you can adjust the wastegate so more exhaust can flow to spin the turbine faster to force more air in. Superchargers are different in that they are pulley driven. the way you get more boost out of a supercharger is by changing the size of the pulley. for most superchargers you can get different size pulleys from the company. But remember unlike a turbo where you can change boost on the fly once you have the pulley in to change the boost you have to replace the pulley. last thing then i'll stop my rant. the from a supercharger is a constant boost based on RPMs so if you have a 6lbs pulley and you peak at 6000 rpms you have 1lb of boost per 1000rpm. just thought i'd post a bit of how they work. this is from my understanding feel free to correct me if im wrong.

The one pound of boost per 1k Rpms is only true on Centrifugal blowers, (Voretch, ESS), If you have a poitive displacement blower such as an Eaton or Eurosport Twin Screwn you will devlop full boost before 3k.

-Chad

RAiMA
08-06-2004, 02:16 PM
ok i know turbochargers have turbo boosters and crap which set the psi higher to get a higher hp gain. do superchargers have those too? and does the DA have that as well? because i dont wanna pay 3-4g's to get a supercharger that adds..40hp, i'd rather sell the car and buy a new bimmer with 3-4g's. but if there was a way to push the supercharger or change the turbine to make the supercharger more powerful, i'd like to know whats up with that :rolleyes:

If the supercharger is capable of more boost, the pully just needs to be changed.

ZeroG
11-22-2004, 06:34 AM
You can find smaller pulleys for the DA Kit at http://www.itsallaboutspeed.com