PDA

View Full Version : changing my exhaust tip

crewboy04
02-20-2003, 08:52 PM
I'm interested in changing my exhaust tip from the stock tip to something a little bigger and shinier, but have no idea where to even start. If possible, I'd like to just change the tip rather than the whole full exhaust system. Anyone have any advice? What kinds of things do I need to know, find out, or keep in mind? Thank you!

fourbanger
02-20-2003, 09:03 PM
well, if you wanna change just your tip...

go to your local general automotive goods store and buy a tip.. There are weld ons and screw ons.

They're basically just for looks, although I've seen them change the sound of a car (but only a little). Careful not to get one so big that when you're backing up it hits objects on the ground. That won't be fun!

crewboy04
02-20-2003, 09:45 PM
how do i know what size tip i can buy/install?

fourbanger
02-21-2003, 10:40 AM
It depends on you.

If you're welding on, the tip has to be at least bigger than your current exhaust pipe (I believe stock is 2 1/4"?). But there what it has to be is that the small end of the tip is just bigger than your exhaust pipe.

If you're going screw on, well, basically just find a tip that has the screws long enough to attach themselves well to the exhaust pipe. In this case you might want to find a tip that's also long enough to cover the old pipe, otherwise it's gonna look ghetto.

Also remember your rear bumper... Get a tip too big, and you're gonna be looking at cutting your bumper (which is fine if you do it right).

Dan G
02-22-2003, 02:45 AM
Go to any muffler shop (not Midas) and they will show you what will fit and quote you installation. Total price should be about $35 installed.