PDA

View Full Version : Tires

2ndBimmer
03-16-2003, 03:22 AM
Since Im hoping for new wheels this summer and putting winter tires on my current 15"s, I should ask: What Summer tires do you all recommend? (225/50 16).

Thusfar Im leaning twards the Yokohama AVS ES100. They are pretty highly rated, good reviews (they dont SEEM to wear out as quickly as some other preformance rubber) and theyre only $81 @ tirerack! (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+ES100&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=25WR6ES100&fromCompare1=yes)

My previous car had Michellens :cry: and Pirellis :) and currently i have a set of Fuldas :twisted: .

Anyone know of some shoes for backroad banditting that can lick a thunderstorm as well?

96cali
03-16-2003, 03:50 PM
I'm gonna try the Sumitomo HTR+. Also got great writeups from BMW drivers at Tirerack. They are all-seaons and around $90 each.

2ndBimmer
03-18-2003, 04:00 AM
So now im down to 2 'Ultra High Preformance All Season'; The Dunlop SP Sport 5000 and Sumitomo HTR+ and 2 'Ultra High Preformance' tires; the Yokohama AVS ES100 and Kumho ECSTA Supra 712.

Ive heard of other people here who like the D 5000's and the HTS's. Apparently the ES100's are new. Im trying to keep it down to $100 per tire to things like the C&D raved Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires are out.

(i think way too long and too hard about these things)

Dan G
03-18-2003, 04:34 AM
I would stay away from all season tires. They are a compromise in both the summer and winter (do neither one well).

When I had my 16 inch wheels I ran Dunlop Sport 9000s which cost about $129 each.

You can also go to www.bimmerforms.com and go to the tire room and get advice from Jim at the Tire Rack.

96cali
03-18-2003, 05:31 AM
i think way too long and too hard about these things

Not really- tires can last a looong time. But then again, I bought a set of the original Dunlop D60A2's way back and they sucked in rain despite what the write ups said. They were testing it on a car with much different characteristics than my Integra which is why I always look for comments from bimmer drivers.

BlackM42
06-08-2003, 02:27 AM
I've had the AVS ES100's on my e30 for ~5k miles and recently put a pair on the ti...they're a great tire- super cheap (relatively), grip well enough to be flogged at the occasional auto-x or track day, and seem to wear fairly well. (can't say for sure on the wear, as I haven't killed a set yet)
I recommend em.

Fraser

2ndBimmer
06-09-2003, 04:16 AM
i got the ES100s: see here (http://www.happytogether.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=223). I got about 3000 miles on em now, so not enough to comment on wear or anything but they hold on pretty tight :D

tastade
07-17-2003, 07:06 AM
I just purchased 225/50ZR16 Goodyear F1 GS-D3's and they are excellent. I only have about 100 miles on them so my comments are initial. I will autocross them this weekend and I will fill you in. I bought them because of the reviews on tire rack from bimmer owners, and they had a $60 rebate.

My initial impression is that they grip insanely well on dry pavement, and they work well under repeated hard stops and hard cornering. They are exceptionally quiet, far quieter than my Dunlop SP 7000's that I had on my Acura Legend, which were 205/55R15's if I remember correctly. The tread compound is different than what I am used to, it feels strange to the touch. I haven't tried them in rain yet. I also like the fact that mine are made in Germany to go along with my car ;) I don't know if all of that model are made there or not, it might be random.

The road feel is different, the car feels lighter on its feet, and has more body roll. I am assuming that the added body roll is coming from the added tire grip. The tires have excellent feel; it is easy to tell when they are about to give, but I don't have much to compare it to. The handling limit is very high with these tires, I take a corner at 10 mph faster than I did in my Prelude with good tires on it, with a lot more confidence. My old 318ti tires were 3 different brands, and all worn past the indicators. The would squeal when I wasn't doing much of anything and the ABS locked up a few times with them. It is nice to be rid of those old worn out things.

I have used General XP 2000 VR4's in this size before, and they sucked for high performance, but were excellent year round including the snow. These goodyears will be worthless in the snow.