PDA

View Full Version : Removing Factory Radio ... HELP!

tipsyaj
03-18-2003, 06:00 AM
I had a question for anyone that has removed their factory radios ... how did you unplug the cables ? I've got a 96 ti sport, I'm trying to take out the factory radio but I can't seem to get it out ... took it to Circuit City to see if someone there could get it out ... they had no idea either ...

I'm trying to save some money by doing this myself, but it's proving to be far more difficult than I thought ... maybe because I know absolutely nothing about car stereo's ... :oops:

2ndBimmer
03-18-2003, 10:35 PM
I ran into that trick too. If i had my old radio with me i could probly remember (at college right now). I believe you have to pry something up first to get the harness off.

seala8
02-08-2005, 01:50 AM
just did it...just take a small flathead screwdriver and wedge it between teh radio and dash and pull or push up or down

mharrigan
02-08-2005, 03:28 AM
I have a 97, so it might be a little different, but as I recall there is a latch that secures the cable connector to the radio body. It also acts as a lever to help make the connection secure when you are inserting the cable into the radio body (lots of connectors = lots of insertion force required). You have to locate the latch and slide it sideways (parallel to the back of the radio). As you do this the cable will start to disconnect. You might have to apply a little force as if you were unplugging the cable while you are sliding the latch. Also, I'm a little hazy on this, the latch itself may be latched to prevent it from accidentally sliding, but I think that would be obvious. Good luck and BTW, if a "professional" installer didn't know how to do this he's not much of a professional installer. I wouldn't trust him at all.

aceyx
02-08-2005, 05:13 AM
mharrigan is right; the connector has a piece that slides vertically as the plug slides horizontally out of the back of the radio.

pull up on it (get two fingers under there and just grunt) and eventually it will come off. wiggle (the plug) while you're doing it too.

i can probably take pictures this weeked if you need more assistance.