PDA

View Full Version : Spring/shock/wheel opinion

96cali
03-27-2003, 02:52 AM
I am looking to upgrade my 100% stock suspension w/ 45k miles on it to be a little lower, stiffer, etc. I was thinking of getting some used sport or CS springs and Bilsteins or Konis to go along. I don't want to tune the car so much I worry about speedbumps, snow, resale, etc but do want a sportier look and feel. And oh yeah, I need to do it economically cuz I have a long list of mild tweaks that will add up! ;}

My specific questions are:
1. Are the sport springs and Club sport springs the same?
2. Do springs wear out? What milage should i not buy at for used?
3. Anyone buy the OEM "sport" HR springs w/ -1" drop?
4. Any comments between koni and bilstein? Which would work well but give a stiffer ride? Would I feel a difference from stock?
5. Would this amount of drop look ok with 17" round spokes? (I have 16's on the way but may upgrade in future)

Any help is MUCH appreciated guys. I dug through previous posts and tried not to rehash old topics. :)

96cali
03-27-2003, 02:53 AM
Oh yeah, anyone got sport/CS springs they want to sell?? :D

J!m
03-27-2003, 04:50 PM
The 'sport' springs are (i'm guessing on the number here, but they are definately stiffer) 10-15% stiffer than standard springs. They also sit about 3/8 inch lower than standard.

I went with Bilsteins, and everyone I have spoken to who has or had them raves about them. A lifetime warranty is nice too. They are not cheap, but Turner Motorsport has the best price on Bilstein when you are ready (mine were about $200.00 less for the set of four than anyone else).

I have a complete 'sport' front suspension available for sale (struts, springs, strut mounts, spindles, brakes and sway bar), as well as rear 'sport' springs and an M roadster rear sway bar (or the sport rear sway bar if you prefer). With Bilsteins, this should be a nice 'stock' package. The Bilsteins add to re-sale in most cases, due to their high quality and warranty. My stock rear shocks were blown after 70K miles.

I don't know if their is any difference between the 'sport' and 'club-sport' springs. (maybe someone else here knows for sure?) Compare part numbers (which I don't have) and if they are different...

96cali
03-28-2003, 05:23 AM
Thanks J!m I have CS sways waiting to be installed - hmmm....i thought the sport spring drop was more than 3/8" from previous posts. Do springs wear out? At what age?

Dan G
03-29-2003, 04:13 AM
Springs usually don't wear out, but shocks wear out at 45K to 60K.

It is really hard to tell when shocks wear out. The old bounce the fender trick doesn't work. They wear out in the normal ride range, not the extreme.

Most people when they buy shocks, think about springs because there is no additional labor in installing the springs.

I have Dinan springs and koni shocks and the car dropped about one inch. Looks good with 17 inch wheels. See the Album.

96cali
03-31-2003, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Spoke to HR on Friday and they don't make the OE Sport variety for the ti. I have posted in the WTB section to see what you guys have around. BTW J!M, that sounds like a great setup but I already have clubsport sways and want maybe oem springs but with something like Bilsteins so unless you're willing to part out.... :rolleyes: