PDA

View Full Version : Electro-Luminescent Gauge Faces

tipsyaj
03-27-2003, 04:43 PM
I'm really getting frusterated here ... Just got some new tires, new stereo system, new trunk deck (check the thread on that if yours is discolored, only $100 for replacement) just ordered a new shift knob and racing pedals... I really want to jazz up the dash, but I can't find any illuminated gauges .. even an aluminum or white gauge I'd be cool with ... NOTHING ... searched on ebay, got excited this morning for a minute when I find a bunch of results, except on each one when I click on the auction, the only reason it shows up on the search is because they all say "fit all E36 (except 318ti)" ... has anyone had luck finding an illuminated gauge face ? ... maybe if enough of us complained to Bav Auto or something ... I really think that is a mod that would make the interior stand out ... I'm learning as I go ... is it even possible to change the red illumination that is standard in the car to some other color, not sure how the whole illumination works ... I'm assuming it's just wishful thinking, don't laugh at me if I sound completely stupid. :?

J!m
03-27-2003, 09:06 PM
One thing you COULD do, is get a regular 318i gage cluster and put the overlay on that, then install it in your car... The MPG gage will not work, but everything else will.

I don't know what's so different about the ti cluster. I would think that any E36 overlay would work in the ti gage cluster, but I can certainly understand your reluctance to be the 'gunnea pig'. Most of the overlays I've seen have a seperate MPG overlay, so you could just leave that one out.

Another popular option is the M3 cluster. There is a procedure for setting the number of cylinders in the cluster so it could work with four. I never tried it, but it seems possible. I found the procedure on line somewhere. Possibly unnofficialbmw...

I just had a thought: what about the roadster cluster? will the overlay work with that? A 1.9 roadster cluster may accept the overlay... (they don't have MPG either)