PDA

View Full Version : will this lsd fit?

briansol
03-13-2009, 11:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E30-325-i-is-limited-slip-differential-2-93-LSD-Z3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a 1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem230330045050QQitemZ230330045050QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5f TruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

its got a lower/ taller gear (which is what i want for highway) + lsd.

does it bolt up?

I'm guessing this will drop me about 500 rpms?

Bluebimma
03-13-2009, 11:48 PM
All non-awd e30 differentials fit.

yoda
03-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Yes it will... but you need to get the e30 half shafts as well...
if you have a 3.45, the 2.93 will drop you more than 500 rpm's... in-between 7 to 800 there abouts... That's the seller I bought mine from!

lysergicsurfer
03-15-2009, 04:32 AM
I bought from this guy not long ago, great seller. I installed this past week by my self, I didnt need to swap to the e30 half shafts. I just swapped the output flanges from the ti to the new lsd... Im not sure about this one, but thats just what I did.

briansol
03-15-2009, 09:11 AM
are there any direct bolt ons? i really don't want to trade any parts around if i don't have to. I have the 3.45. I think ideally, i'd love to get something in the 3.10 range.

lysergicsurfer
03-16-2009, 06:47 PM
My differential was pretty much a direct bolt on.(I had a 1985? 318i 3.64 lsd) I am pretty sure any small case e30(4 cyclinder) will be a direct bolt on. The only things are you may have to swap the output flanges, which are the two things on the sides that spin and bolt to the axles. This is much easier than it sounds, you simply pull them out with very little effort, no bolts or anything.(I have heard they might get sitckey so you may need force to pry them out) and when the flanges are out you simply push the new ones in.(sometimes you may need to tap them in with a rubber mallet). Mine popped right out and the new ones glided right in, its that easy. For some reason the e30 output flanges just didnt want to bolt to the 318ti axles, Im not sure why, I belive this isnt always a problem though. The next thing is you may need to swap the speed sensors, which is just two small bolts, again very easy. These two things, are easy enough for a girl to do. The hard part is takeing the old diff out. Putting the new diff in is eaiser but still hard, since the bolts are all hard to get to and the diff is HEAVY. The medium case diffs(6 cycl) or older model diffs still work just the same, but there is much more involved in doing the swap. And what I have said is in no way a promise, It is just my experience.

People say going to a higher raitio than 3.45 will kill gas mileage. The 3.64 in my car raised rpms maybe 75-100 rpms, it is hardly noticeable, my city mpg may suffer only becuase I love how the car accelerates now, but there isnt too much of a difference. I know you want a lower ratio, I just wanted to say it to let people know.

marko
03-16-2009, 07:31 PM
yes there are.. a 3.45 LSD from the club sport or the 95 ti which came with that option... thats what I have.

Dirrect replacement... in fact a memeber '96cali' is selling one on this site as we speak.

You mpg will not change - it is almost the same ratio as with the open 3.44 diff.

are there any direct bolt ons? i really don't want to trade any parts around if i don't have to. I have the 3.45. I think ideally, i'd love to get something in the 3.10 range.

briansol
03-17-2009, 06:05 AM
i have the 3.45 lsd now. I want to go numerically lower. I do NOT want to go up.

mine is whining like crazy (even after a diff fluid swap... twice... the 2nd time with thicker stuff. sounds like a dog box. lol). it's on its way out. that seller has some direct Ti 3.45 lsd ones too, but they are stwice as much ($400) and don't help my gearing at all the way i want to go.

wolferj-RIP
03-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure that a lower ratio diff than the 3.45 was not offered on a ti... Since you want to go lower, you will probably have to find an e30 diff with a 3.23 or 2.93 (or whatever), and get the extra bits to make it fit.

briansol
03-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Yeah, i know there's not a ti one... but what about the z3? etc...

wolferj-RIP
03-17-2009, 08:27 AM
If you want to upgrade to something newer, look for a diff from a Mcoupe or roadster. Fitment is again, similar, but not exact... Sorry I can't be more specific, I just don't know anymore details.

spykejones
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Just like the title says has anyone done this and will this affect my takeoff performance. I just bought a Ti and I have yet to drive it because of the spider gears in my 4.44 lsd are destroyed and i am thinking about buying a 3.45 for $350. I have an auto transmission and would like to get this diff but really need some guidance guys ( and Girls)

yoda
03-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Just like the title says has anyone done this and will this affect my takeoff performance. I just bought a Ti and I have yet to drive it because of the spider gears in my 4.44 lsd are destroyed and i am thinking about buying a 3.45 for $350. I have an auto transmission and would like to get this diff but really need some guidance guys ( and Girls)
I don't know about that one though.... I went from a 4.44 to a 3.73 and it was quite a drop... going to a 3.45 would be a bit much for our little engine... you can try it though... remember that it has to be a diff from an E30 or a Z3 not a regular E36 cause it will not FIT!...

spykejones
03-31-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't know about that one though.... I went from a 4.44 to a 3.73 and it was quite a drop... going to a 3.45 would be a bit much for our little engine... you can try it though... remember that it has to be a diff from an E30 or a Z3 not a regular E36 cause it will not FIT!...

It's good that you answered my post, I was going to message you because you seem to have good knowledge in previous post. I bought my 318 ti with 160,000 miles and rear diff problem (which after further investigation I found that the spider gears are broken. I was told that it would be very expensive and a waste of time to rebuild a lsd... ) I really need a 4.44 lsd in good condition, I would buy this one granted it is from an e30 or z3 for $350 with like 50,000 miles on it. Like i said this is my first BMW and I have not had the pleasure of driving it. What would you prefer knowing and driving this car? I plan to later maybe a supercharger or maybe an M engine. But will do small upgrades.

mohaughn
03-31-2009, 01:36 AM
It's good that you answered my post, I was going to message you because you seem to have good knowledge in previous post. I bought my 318 ti with 160,000 miles and rear diff problem (which after further investigation I found that the spider gears are broken. I was told that it would be very expensive and a waste of time to rebuild a lsd... ) I really need a 4.44 lsd in good condition, I would buy this one granted it is from an e30 or z3 for $350 with like 50,000 miles on it. Like i said this is my first BMW and I have not had the pleasure of driving it. What would you prefer knowing and driving this car? I plan to later maybe a supercharger or maybe an M engine. But will do small upgrades.

What year is your car? a 4.44 lsd would be an unusual find. If you have a 95 sport, or winter package, that would make a lot more sense..

You could easily find a 4.44 open diff and that would be super cheap.

spykejones
03-31-2009, 01:48 AM
What year is your car? a 4.44 lsd would be an unusual find. If you have a 95 sport, or winter package, that would make a lot more sense..

You could easily find a 4.44 open diff and that would be super cheap.

It's a 1995 but I don't know what trim (active, sport..etc) but I know that the diff was a $596.00 upgrade because I have the original sheet that was applied at the dealership. I only paid 750.00 for it and it needs some work but mostly I need to get a diff for a good price. I am having a hard time finding one. I can get a 3.45 for $350.00 which I am debating. I want to find one that won't hurt power. I basically am a noobie at this stuff But, I am learning and I have a Master technician for a father, so I have access to all I need for tools and experience. I just need this forums help in guiding me in the right direction.

yoda
03-31-2009, 02:32 AM
It's a 1995 but I don't know what trim (active, sport..etc) but I know that the diff was a $596.00 upgrade because I have the original sheet that was applied at the dealership. I only paid 750.00 for it and it needs some work but mostly I need to get a diff for a good price. I am having a hard time finding one. I can get a 3.45 for $350.00 which I am debating. I want to find one that won't hurt power. I basically am a noobie at this stuff But, I am learning and I have a Master technician for a father, so I have access to all I need for tools and experience. I just need this forums help in guiding me in the right direction.

If you're looking for performance... then a lower gear, i.e. a 3.45, will kill any performance the ti has in Auto trim. The lower number will mean slower off the line acceleration, but lower RPM's at highway speeds (better gas mileage).
If you just want your car moving, I have the Open Diff 4.44 I took off my car, selling it for $50, but shipping might be expensive since it's heavy.

BTW
a quick and simple eBay search for "e30 LSD" revealed lots of them for very good prices.... there's a 3.64 for $150, and a couple of 3.73 for $200
Just remember that you will need the Halfshafts as well, unless you're able to use the output shafts of your current LSD and swap them into the new one... could work, you never know...