PDA

View Full Version : Independent Throttle Bodies

fourbanger
04-02-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm considering buying bmpd's indepedent throttle bodies, but I have a few reservations. I was wondering if anyone here could help me or if they have personal experience.

Sound wise, does it do anything? Does it make it louder, or bassier?

Performance wise, what kind of gains will I be looking at? other than a nice clean torque curve?

Economy: if i drive it soft, will it sip out my gas tank or guzzle it down stupidly?

Dan G
04-05-2003, 05:14 AM
Changing the throttle body by itslef does nothing. You need software to reprogram your computer to utulize it.

I have a Dinan CAI, high flow throttle body, and free flow exhaust. You need Dinan stage III software for it to work properly.

Works great. Increased horse power by 20% and my gas mileage actually increased by 10%.

fourbanger
04-05-2003, 08:12 AM
hm...

i think you read it wrong Dan :P

independent throttle bodies..

emphasis on the independent...

y'know... instead of just one throttle body, one for each cylinder?

and i know about the software, i believe the kit comes with it.

ayton
04-05-2003, 03:13 PM
hot garbage! Dyno tests show gains of 1hp. big discussions about this on the other forums.

fourbanger
04-08-2003, 06:46 AM
well, honestly, i don't give a rats ass about HP gains..

i want torque! i want loads of it! and i want it in a nice creamy wave of smoothness. :D

hm...

anyone know if i could get a head with vanos and stick it on my engine? :D

ayton
04-08-2003, 01:27 PM
can I send you my paypal address...you can throw your money away there ;}

fourbanger
04-10-2003, 09:49 AM
haha, good one...

no, alas, i've given up on my poor ol' abused 'ti'. it's going back to my mom soon...

i'm gonna move up the ladder a step and go to an M3 :twisted:
muahahaha...

BlackM42
06-16-2003, 02:37 PM
haha, good one...

no, alas, i've given up on my poor ol' abused 'ti'. it's going back to my mom soon...

i'm gonna move up the ladder a step and go to an M3 :twisted:
muahahaha...

Wuss ;}

RAJ
10-10-2004, 06:48 PM
I generally Associate Individual Throttle Boddies with High RPM Performance- such as on a Sportbike or Formula 1 Car.... and even Drag Racing. I have been very curious about this conversion too.

Course, BMW uses these set-ups on their bigger sedans.
The early M3 4cyl (s14) used multi-throttle units - and those made respectable power in their day considering what Japan 4's were putting out. The twin-cam cosworth 4 was the only other 4 that had an edge @ that period.

Why not on a TI? IT does have to be Reemed to get it to go. Mine doesn't really start to come On until after 5200rpm.

I built a few high HP Bug engines in my day set up with WEBER down draft carbs- They were real twitchy around town, liked Full throttle action. No in-between cruising stuff. Mostly though, all those engines had real radical cams and radical port configurations. - Nothing like the Bimmer.

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/throttle_bodies/Throttle%20bodies_side_mount.htm

http://www.racetep.com/twm2000.html

RAJ
10-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Ahhh, Check this: What they say-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TODA Individual Throttle Bodies greatly improve engine response and power output through the use of one throttle body per cylinder.

Super Response
Throttle Response is improved due to the reduction in volume of air within the intake manifold. By elimintaing "pumping loss", throttle response is greatly improved.

Increased Power
Improved induction efficiency supplies the engine with the correct quantities of air/fuel on demand.
1. Equal length intake runners..
2. Straight induction ports.
3. Individual throttle bodies are individually smaller in volume, but collectively larger in volume. This allows for both low-end torque, and high-end power.
4. Airflow bench tested trumpet.

Bottom and Mid-range Torque Increase
Each cylinder receives a fuller charge of air/fuel especially at low to mid engine speeds. This is due to the independent throttlebodies and more effective injector positioning.

Improved Idle
Idle quality is more stable even with race camshafts as each cylinder is breathing independently
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.todaracing.com/products/honda_s2000/throttle_bodies.html

RAJ
10-10-2004, 07:11 PM
FOUND THESE PEOPLE!!!
http://www.haywardperformance.com/intake.htm

they will custom build TB units for anything

needle332rur
10-15-2004, 10:09 PM
ITB's don't make much of a difference in HP, but but improve throttle respones by tons.

don't by the bmp kit, it's a totle RIP OFF. make your own! Buy throttle bodies and make out of whatever a plenim for all the air to get sucked through. remember you need a place for the injector to go and all the air must pass through the AFM. (air fuel meter) Its better to have at least 9 inches from throttle plate to intake valves. Also a spiral cut in the runners improves air fuel mixture. last you want the runners to follow the angle of the intake ports a best as possible.

And could someone tell me why you need to change the programing for a larger bore TB. maybe at full throttle but not anywhere else cause the AFM will metter the extra air.

by the way TODA is for hondas