PDA

View Full Version : I wanna swap, need opinions...

fourbanger
04-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Ok people, I've been reading a lot of the older topics here and now I'm sure I want to do a swap for my ti, but i'm still not sure what engine to use. Keep in mind that since I am living in a third world country, some things become complicated for me. Also, I have heat and humidity issues to worry about. Anyways, I know I want a six (or maybe an eight? :twisted:), but I'm not sure if an M3 engine is worth the trouble, or if I should just get a normal six and mod the hell out of it.

M3 3.2L
I can get the engine, but is it worth it? I have an OBD-I car, can I put an ODB-II engine in and convert it to ODB-I? If I could, this looks like the best performance option, but are there any caveats I should be worried about?

M3 3.0L
I have better access to this engine, but if I spend this much time and money, why not spend some more for the 3.2? Are there any special problems I should be aware of for this swap?

328i 2.8L
I have even better access to this engine here than the M3 engines, but is the leap in displacement so great that I would want to spring for the M3 engine? I could modify it, but then again I see a lot more stuff for M3 engines than for 328i's.

325i 2.5L
By far, the easiest engine to get my hands on. It sure as hell would be the most economical, and as there was a 323ti with a 2.5L engine in it, I'm figuring there must be at least SOME interchangeable parts, right? Plenty of aftermarket parts make this a plus.

So, those are the options I'm looking at. Any suggestions? I'm just trying to decide on the engine right now, I'll worry about the tranny, diff and suspension once I've got this sorted out.

Any comments are most welcome.

J!m
04-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Here's my 2 cents...

M3 3.2L
I can get the engine, but is it worth it?
>I think so.

I have an OBD-I car, can I put an ODB-II engine in and convert it to ODB-I?
>Yes you can. You need wiring harness/ECU from OBD-I M3 to install on the 3.2 motor

If I could, this looks like the best performance option, but are there any caveats I should be worried about?
>Nothing major. The whole job is a big 'caveat'...

M3 3.0L
I have better access to this engine, but if I spend this much time and money, why not spend some more for the 3.2?
>The 3.2 has the same HP in stock trim. I'm confident that much more can be extracted from the 3.2 than the 3.0 if done properly (Read: expensively). If you plan to leave it alone, it really does not matter which motor you use.

Are there any special problems I should be aware of for this swap?
>If the car is OBD-I the OBD-I 3.0 is a direct swap for the most part. Just a few details to sort out and you are off and running.

328i 2.8L
I have even better access to this engine here than the M3 engines, but is the leap in displacement so great that I would want to spring for the M3 engine?
>I would (and did) go for the 3.2 motor. The Aluminum block 2.8 form a roadster is the hot ticket. Get one of these if you can. I think this would be the best increase in power without a huge increase in weight over the four. Downside: I believe this block is a NicaSil block, so change the oil frequently, and don't beat it until the oil is warm.

I could modify it, but then again I see a lot more stuff for M3 engines than for 328i's.
>The 328 is a good motor. just shy of the 3.0, with different cams. I would think the 3.0 head might fit the 2.8. THAT would be sick...

325i 2.5L
By far, the easiest engine to get my hands on. It sure as hell would be the most economical, and as there was a 323ti with a 2.5L engine in it, I'm figuring there must be at least SOME interchangeable parts, right?
> I'm thinking if you are going to do the work, why not go for the largest gains? Yes, the 2.5 is a good motor, and will net you around 200hp, but a blower on the four will give you that. The blown 2.5 may be nice- expect around 300 hp from that.

Plenty of aftermarket parts make this a plus.
>OK

I recommend getting an M roadster rear sub-frame assembly as I did. Also, a complete M3 front suspension to hold the bigger motor. This way, you will have the big brakes, diff, trailing arms and springs you need. The Aluminum 2.8 may not need the suspension, but you WILL need the brakes anyway...

Good luck with your project.