PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Back Speakers

tipsyaj
05-03-2003, 04:13 PM
So I'm thinking about changing the back speakers. The new receiver has really improved the sound, but the midrange speakers in the back just sound awful. I heard that the speakers in the back need special adapter plates, has anyone replaced them ... I've got a chance to get a really good deal on Infinity Reference Series 412i 4 inch, 2 way speakers, but I'm wondering whether that's a good/bad speaker for the ti ... any advice would be greatly appreciated ...

Oh yeah, has anyone heard of the powered subwoofer Infinity has, I guess it's comparable to the Bazooka tubes ... 10" sub w/basslink ... I'm thinking about getting that, it looks like it could fit really well in the ti's trunk.

fourbanger
05-04-2003, 09:34 AM
tipsyaj:

If you're looking to get better sound out the back...

cut holes in the rear cover thingie and put 6x9s.. hell, you could strap an amp to the bottom of that thing..

as for the infinity bass... i think bavauto sells it.. i remember seeing an ad for it.

2ndBimmer
05-04-2003, 09:40 PM
i considered the Infinity sub, but it takes up too much space (i like using my whole trunk). but i was able to, for $100, fit 6x9s over the side pockets in the trunk; just drop the rear seats forward for max efficiency.

Ill post a pic in my album.

Cost for speakers $70, cost for speaker boxes $30. Use spare wood to build anchors and rewire the back speakers to some spare speaker wire and run it to the 6x9s.

tipsyaj
05-05-2003, 12:36 PM
so do you get good sound ? I want good lows when I listen to music. I'm not looking for bumping bass, but I do want the overall quality to be good. The Infinity sub from what I've been told is around 1 cubic foot in space. I thought I could mount it to the side ... It's around $500 in Bav Auto's catalog, but I've found it online for around $200. That's why I thought it would be a good option. As for cutting into the trunk cover, I occasionally take that off so that wouldn't work. Oh yeah, those pics of the 6x9 boxes in the trunk look pretty good ... thanks for posting them !

2ndBimmer
05-05-2003, 03:06 PM
The bass doesnt really kick in until you get to the higher volumes, though at that point it is a big difference. Ive got the fader set to about 33/40% front and 67/60% rear.

If you want really powerful lows in music, you might want to consider the infinity. I wanted something more like complimentary lows (something to match the highs) and im quite satisfied (though if you crank it you can get a little thumping going).