PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Antenna

md
05-08-2003, 01:37 PM
My antenna snapped off in a car wash and I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace. I have a 98 318ti, which has the small rear antenna. I took it to a shop and they thought the entire antenna needs to be replaced (something about the drive or motor?) and I was quoted around $230 for parts and labor.

I am not that mechanically inclined but I donít think it would that difficult to replace. Also where would be the best place to purchase the antenna?

Thanks.

deleonl1
05-08-2003, 01:52 PM
It shouldn't need a new motor. I don't own a ti, but I believe it just uses a flexible FUBA antenna, similar to the ones you see on VWs. You might want to check if the only thing that is broken is the flexible part. That would be very easy to replace...just unscrew the old and get a new piece and screw it back on. If you need to replace the whole unit it shouldn't be hard to replace, I've replaced a roof mounted FUBA antenna and it wasn't hard at all. Would you be able to post any pics of it?

Check out this place: www.antennaworld.com

-Larry

1996 328ti
05-09-2003, 02:49 AM
The ti doesn't have a motorized antenna. If you can't unscrew the old antenna, maybe try an ez out to remove the broken piece.

Dan G
05-09-2003, 06:43 AM
Your antenna just screws out. You should always remove it before going through a car wash.

Buy a new one at a BMW dealer. Can't be more than $20.

fourbanger
05-14-2003, 09:59 AM
hm...

i beg to differ on the retractable antena issue...

I've seen 316i compacts with retractable antenas.

J!m
05-14-2003, 06:01 PM
I've never sen a retractable antenna on a ti in NA. Even the 'luxury' models did not offer it as far as I know or have seen.

Travis
05-27-2003, 03:56 AM
The VW antennaes are a direct fit replacement, and have a reinforcing wire wrapped around them that supposedly prevents noise (wind). I never heard a peep out of mine, but I DO have a VW (Passat) antennae on my ti now. It does look better IMHO.

Travis

schussey
11-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Antenna definitly just screws off- Mines just sitting the the trunk due to the fact that I removed it, for looks much more sleek without it

Jared
12-14-2003, 03:34 AM
I have an s2000 antenna in mine, (i know, i know, but hey, it looks nice)
Just screws in.