PDA

View Full Version : Starter slips

esbart
05-25-2003, 10:51 AM
I have a 95ti base model and at 130K miles, recently my starter misses sometimes 1 to 2 tries and then would start. It sounds like the starter gear doesn't engage with flywheel. Does this means I have to replace the starter assembly?

bimmerboi318
05-25-2003, 06:16 PM
i've got a datsun 280zx with 120k miles and the starter did the same thing. there was a grinding sound like the starter didnt engage right. replace it ASAP i warn you. i didnt on my datsun, just thinking i could do it anytime. when i finally did replace the starter, it still slipped! it had ground down the ring gear on the flywheel so now i have to drop the tranny to replace that. so replace that starter. i guess after a while the solenoid that engages it gets slow or something and the gear cant extend before it spins up to speed and it just grinds away on the ring gear thus ruining it over time.

BlackM42
06-10-2003, 09:02 PM
I learned the same lesson with my old '78 F-150, except the replacement starter would engage no problem. For a while...until the abnormal (read: f-ed up) teeth on the flywheel would slowly eat the gears on the starter. Still haven't replaced the flywheel, just keep a spare starter behind the seat.

Fraser