PDA

View Full Version : weird noise...please HELP

Marys_Ti
04-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone, my 96 TI has been making this weirdest noise in the engine....when I turn my car on it makes this loud noise and when I accelerate it does too...I'm so worried about it because I don't want my car to get worse...I took it to several mechanics so they could exanimate and give me an answer of why is it making this noise, but I end up going empty handed...because one told me it could be the alternator and the other one the timing belt...I don't know who to trust? What do you guys recommend me to do....I don't know where else to go. And who won't rip me off. :frown:

P.S. I am thinking of fixing the timing belt first and if the noise doesn't stop then I will fix the alternator. Does any one knows where can I order the timing belt online and which one to chose so that I could fix this A.S.A.P...

please let me know:?

Will'sBimmer
04-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Pelicanparts.com is a good source for parts. So is Bavauto.com Is the noise high pitched, a squeal, or what??

Marv17
04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
if its a squeal i would guess its the belts. check them. see if they're cracked and how worn they are.
btw i have both belts for the ti. both new. bought them a while ago b/c i was going to do a rebuild but went a different route. ill match the price on pelican parts as well...

spidertri
04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
The ti does not have a timing belt, it uses a timing chain. I wouldn't really trust the mechanic who told you it was the timing belt. If you can, open the hood and have someone rev the engine and listen for where the noise comes from.

Let us know if the noise comes from the driver side (alternator area) or passenger side (timing chain area).

Check out this thread, see if it seems like the same thing.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25419

cslayman
05-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Did you find the problem? I just found my engine squeal was coming from a bad crankcase breather valve.

Charlie