PDA

View Full Version : Fender Flares

fourbanger
05-26-2003, 10:06 AM
I want to drop the car a couple of inches (base suspension + coil overs = nice height :) ) but I also want to have some nice rims down there. So my question is, until what size is reasonable? I the coil over kit i wanna buy says "not recommended for cars with 7.5inch or wider front wheels". Is this a real concern or did they leave in a lot of safety margin? What about flaring the fenders, what exactly is entailed in that?

This is a daily driver that gets driven hard, every single day :)

J!m
05-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Stock M3 fronts are 7.5x17, with the caster plates on top of the strut, and offset bushings or lower control arms.

The factory 16 inch sport wheels rubbed on my car. The factory sport suspension is not very low, maybe 3/4 inch lower than stock. This was factory installed, and it rubbed. I think the margin is small...

fourbanger
05-31-2003, 07:15 AM
hm..

soo..
anyone know what would flaring the fenders would entail? :)

bimmerboi318
05-31-2003, 05:21 PM
the front tires on my active rub and it isnt lowered at all. i cant hear it rubbing. but when i take the wheel off i can see bare metal where the tire rubs on the inside of the wheelwell. it does it on both sides when the wheel is turned all the way left or right. at about 85000 miles or so i replaced both outer balljoints in the front, and the problem was aleviated slightly but there is still rubbing. that was with 205/60's. now im on 225/50's so im sure the rubbing is more. all i can think of is to get wheel spacers and roll the fenders. but for now i just dont turn the wheel that far :rolleyes:

btw J!m those wheels i got from you look beautiful on my car. MUCH nicer than my old 10 spokes! thanks.

1996 328ti
06-01-2003, 12:08 AM
My tires rub slightly too.
I have 235/40/17s.
I would not worry about it.
How often do you go full lock anyway?

fourbanger
06-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Is that question directed to me steven?
If it is... almost every day..
Let's just say that when the fastest car the police have is a Tercel, you know you can get away with murder :twisted:

Why do you think I crash so much? ;) Heck, if we had a track believe me I'd be a shareholder and i'd be on it every chance I got.