PDA

View Full Version : got new coil overs...?

gobimmer
05-28-2003, 02:03 PM
So, I impulsively baught these x3 racing adjustable coil overs... but I think I made a mistake... they were cheap, so no harm done if I did, I can always sell em, but I am hoping they will work with my 96 TI. I used to do a lot of works on trucks, mostly lifting jeeps and stuff, so I have done a lot of suspension modifcations in the past, but never on an independant suspension, anybody have any thoughts on the subject. I guess I what I am looking for is, will these actually work on my car? Will the springs work on the rear(semi trailing as opposed to trailing arm of the rest of the e 36's). What is involved in the installation of lowering springs...? Clearly I don't want to drop my bimmer 4", I doubt that even possible, mainly looking for about an inch. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Bill

BlackM42
06-16-2003, 02:51 PM
The only info I can really give is that the semi-trailing arm rear can't really support a true "coil-over" setup. The shock mounts would essentially have to serve double duty as shock and spring mounts, dunno if it can support that much stress.

Swapping springs on the rear of a ti is incredibly easy. Just disconnect the shock and sway bar link from the trailing arm, and you oughta be able to pull the spring out with your hands.

Was this kit you bought designed for an e36?

Fraser