PDA

View Full Version : Rear slotted rotors for a '96?

96cali
06-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Does anyone make slotted/vented rears for my '96? I am looking at PowerSlots (love that cadmium, sick of rust) and PowerDiscs but to my knowledge they only come up front. And yep, I'm vain. These are just for show. :twisted:

Any opinions on other brands are much appreciated too.

2ndBimmer
06-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Bavauto.com, they have rear rotors for Ti's drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted. $159 a pair

96cali
06-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks! I'll call and find out who the manufacturer is. Any experience with bavauto rotors? Wonder if they're warranted :rolleyes:

2ndBimmer
06-07-2003, 03:39 AM
Nope, havent replaced the brakes on my car yet. Mine are doing fine right now and i cant afford to get an upgrade anyways.

96cali
06-07-2003, 07:30 AM
talked to bavauto about who makes their performance rotors. they get them from ATE, Brembo, Zimmerman and one other I didn't recognize. The guy was willing to check tomorrow which maker they have in stock. I'd probably vote for ATE or Brembo from what I've heard. Opinions anyone?

jdehaan
07-27-2003, 07:26 PM
don't waste your money with slotted rotors in the rear. The rear rotors don't see very much action, at least not enough to warrent slotted or cross drilled rotors. I have ATE power discs in the front of my car and just stock ATE rotors in the back. I did this on the advice of many of the mechanics in the BMW Car Club. I would only buy slotted rotors in the front and stock in the rear.

J!m
07-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Clean the rotors with Acetone and give them a spray with header paint in the color of your choice. (I go with grey or silver as the factory rotor hats are grey) The header paint easily takes the heat, and it is fairly durable.

No opinion on slotted, but avoid drilled rotors, if possible. Most (not all) are drilled after casting, and this leads to major stress crack initiation points. Nothing worse than stomping on the brake to have the rotor shatter...