PDA

View Full Version : Door Lock stuck

fourbanger
06-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Well, lately this problem has been getting worse and i'm wondering if anyone can help me with this. Lately the driver's side lock has been getting stuck. By this i mean that when i stick the key in, it's really hard to turn the damned key. I don't wanna force it, so I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix this.

Also, the door panels are coming off (90 degree heat, 90% humidity, go figure). Anyone know of a good fix for this as well?

bimmerboi318
06-15-2003, 09:44 PM
mine does the same thing (i think). i put the key in and it wont turn either way. if i fool around for a bit, it will turn easily. it happend when i got the car a couple years ago. i got a new key and the problem disappeared. now its happening again. i dont know whats up with it or if its even the key at fault. maybe they wear out after awhile. you'd think they wouldnt seeing as they are not cheap keys :?

fourbanger
06-16-2003, 04:50 AM
i don't think it's the key, as my dad's 318i is a couple of years older and it's lock works silky smooth same as usual. I inspected the door more closely today, and it seems to be the "hinge" thingie on the side of the door where it holds on to the B pillar. The damned thing looks like it's grinding up. Any ideas anyone?

Unmei 21
08-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Hey there. The same thing happend to me last winter. I don't know if it's just ice or something, but it was really a pain. What I did was go to the passenger side and unlock it.

318tibimmer
08-16-2003, 05:44 AM
Same thing is happening to me, I am going to the dealership to order a new key soon.

fourbanger
08-21-2003, 08:27 AM
don't think my issue was the key..

took the car to a local mechanic and he basically took the door apart, lubed up some parts, made sure everything was aligned right and it went away...

dunno, best $15 I every spent :)

bmw318tiChic
01-03-2004, 05:45 PM
mine is messing up too.. whats really weird though, i can lock my car from the driver's side, but it won't unlock! its crazy. i guess i'll take it to a mechanic unless i can fix it myself.

SDJ
01-12-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm having the same issue with the trunk lock. It will turn but only with some force.

318tibimmer
01-13-2004, 07:19 AM
Hey got the new key like a month ago and it is now working great, I guess that the key wears down over time and needs to be replaced.

Travis
01-14-2004, 05:22 AM
Folks:

I really doubt that the key is wearing out. Why would the key do one thing (start the car, open two of three doors) but not the other (open the door lock that is sticking) anyhow, I wonder?

You probably have a lubrication problem.

-Travis

318tibimmer
01-14-2004, 07:37 AM
with the key that I had that was worn out would open the back, and there was little to no problem with the passengers side door, and then the ignition started acting up a little. It could be the key... if you want to try to lube it up go get some grafite powder from a hobby store and squrit it in the hole, then lock and unlock the door a couple of times. If it still if having issues get a new key.

thesk8nmidget
03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
my driver side lock is doing this on the new car. wont turn either way. anyone know a good brand of lubricant to use?

aceyx
03-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Use a dry lubricant, otherwise your tumbler will actually get worse. Graphite is graphite, so whatever is cheapest.

Mallard
03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
check the actuator isnt failing..

if the central locking motor is seizing then it will actually feel "stuck"

the motor is the black box type thing conncted to the levers and arms in the door under the handle.

thesk8nmidget
03-19-2008, 12:01 AM
well the locks both go up and down when i go to the passenger side door.

i will check that. and where would i find grafite lube? is there a certain use for it? would walmart or lowes have it?

im not familar with it at all. and i dont have a hobby shop anywhere near me in texas(that i know of)

DJ Skillz 187
03-19-2008, 12:12 AM
well the locks both go up and down when i go to the passenger side door.

i will check that. and where would i find grafite lube? is there a certain use for it? would walmart or lowes have it?

im not familar with it at all. and i dont have a hobby shop anywhere near me in texas(that i know of)

Most hardware stores should carry it.
It's usually used for hobby projects (R/C cars, etc.) and for lubricating pin tumbler locks.

naustin
03-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Yeah i was gonna say lube her up! But you got that figured out looks like

elchicano
03-19-2008, 01:31 AM
There's graphite in pencils right. I remember in high school we did this experiment where we used a pencil and scratched the lead point on a key to see if would be easier to open a lock with. It worked but i don't know if it will work on a car lock.

aceyx
03-19-2008, 06:35 AM
Any auto parts store will carry it. Lowe's/Home Depot should too, I'd ask at the key department.

As for using pencils, it will work, but it's not a good idea in the long run--pencil "lead" contains clay, which is going to harden up at some point.

liloff
07-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Mine does the same thing.

When i installed the chrome inner handles I had to take the card off and play with the rods inside. Nothing is bent, however after I put everything back together, it won't lock with the central heating. I can hear the motor inside the door starting and then giving up.

Had the same problem with my other car. The only reasonable solution came out to dismantle everything, remove the locking mechanism and the motor from the door and give it a good degreaser bath.

In other words, remove everything electrical, find a place where you can sink it entirely in degreaser (whatever you can find on your market). Then after it's been soaking for at least 30 minutes, using a tiny paintbrush simply try to clean all the dirt and crap until it becomes shiny bright again and all parts start moving easily.

Forget the graphite mess. It's good for pressure parts. Such as the window plastic moving parts (don't know how they are called). For the locking mechanism use normal engine oil (or sewing machine oil if you can find any as it's thinner).

That's it. Put everything back together and make sure u install it properly. :)

I haven;t done it yet as I need to find a garage for the day. It's not a good idea to leave the car open in Bulgaria for several hours outside the building :)
-------------
However my biggest problem is that when the central locking locks the doors it doesn't lock the fuel cap. I have an aftermarket alarm, however I am 99% sure that it's been properly connected to the comfort module as the mechanic guy told me that he simply doesn't know where else to connect it if not the module.

So could it be the case that my problem with the driver door is failiing the fuel cap lock too.