PDA

View Full Version : Starter Wiring

Flametail
05-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I got my new starter installed and everything, I think I may have some wires crossed cause it is just whining and not cranking. On the smallest bolt I have 2 tiny wires (tried just leaving one on and it didn't even make a noise). A big red wire on the largest bolt going to the engine harness and a wire going from the starter to the alternator on the other bolt. Any ideas? I desperately need it!

turbo5s
05-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Hello, sounds like you have both small wires on the upper terminal when the larger of the two should be on the lower (small) terminal. Sounds like you are spinning the motor without engaging the solenoid.

The black/green wire should go on that top lug which tells the ZKE module that you are cranking.

The black/yellow wire should go on the lower of the two small terminals.

Both alt. and battery on the same terminal, the one WITHOUT the braided copper wire going from solenoid to starter.

Of course I have starting issues of my own, but my car cranks at least! Good luck.

Flametail
05-23-2009, 06:32 PM
i figured that was my issue...now i'm searching for that damn little nut cause it fell off...

Flametail
05-26-2009, 03:13 AM
So I got it installed today and it cranked and ran fine...well after work it decided it didn't want to anymore. If I push start it, it cranks right up. I keep hearing a whine but no crank. When it was working it cranked over just fine and had no problems. I probably started it about 10 times this morning before I left for work. Any ideas? I need them quickly.

turbo5s
05-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Sorry I'm not really sure, and I just noticed I can't see any colors on the smaller black wires.. How's it all wired now?

Flametail
05-26-2009, 12:05 PM
the 2 red wires are on the big bolt, the shortest wire is on the bolt nearest to the engine and the longest is on the other side. I'm pretty sure I have it wired correctly because it worked yesterday when I left for work.

turbo5s
05-27-2009, 05:24 AM
Sounds right all right. Starter must have took a dump, only thing I can think of maybe tap the starter to unstick anything that may be stuck..

Flametail
05-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Its supposed to be a refurbished unit. If this is the case then I'm gonna go on a rampage through AAP.

Flametail
05-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Well it is dead...gotta get it pulled and replaced. Luckily AAP decided to not be douches and went ahead and ordered a new one. Got a guy that is gonna replace it for $75.

Flametail
05-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Well the guy didn't even need a new one. He said the relay went out and that is why it wouldn't start. Either way the car is back in my driveway! Makes me happy to know my wiring and installation was correct! lol.