PDA

View Full Version : how to lower your car without having to jump off each pebble

asianwitattitude
07-10-2003, 10:16 AM
what would be a good/cheap setup for a regular 95 318ti to lower it about 1in - 1.5in max and still have that nice stiff bmw ride. i was thinkin maybe swapping my whole suspension to m sport suspension or somethin?

1996 328ti
07-10-2003, 01:02 PM
First, you will find an improvement moving into a sport suspension. Partly because your tired 7 year old suspension is worn and the different sway bar and probably springs will be stiffer.

When I bought my 328ti it was lowered. I could just about get my fingers in the wheel wells. The car handled great. I scraped every speed bump, hit my front spoiler. It was not fun to drive because I had to worry about the road conditions. Even the crown in the road would be problems.

I went back to stock. Eventually I'll lower it again when it is not as much of a daily driver as it is now.

moku
07-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Depends on your definition of "cheap".

I'm running Bilstein sport shocks and BavAuto springs. I paid about $700 for everything, including new E46 convertible RSMs and Z3 reinforcement plates.

As far as the ride, it is stiffer than stock, but nothing uncomfortable. Handles much better, with very little body roll in the turns. Acceleration is smoother, and braking is less turbulent with almost no submarining in hard braking situations. And that's on 17" wheels with 235/45ZR17 rubber.

As far as the drop, it was about 1.5" up front and 1.0" in the rear.

If you want the M-sport suspension, it's only about a 0.5" drop and still has a nice ride, but with a some body roll in the turns. Much better than stock, but not as "sporty" as maybe some other aftermarket setups.

Hope that helps...

asianwitattitude
07-11-2003, 11:21 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=2422788301

are those the same as bavauto springs? i cant remember what, but for some reason in my head i had the idea that these are the same springs.

moku
07-11-2003, 06:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=2422788301

are those the same as bavauto springs? i cant remember what, but for some reason in my head i had the idea that these are the same springs.
No. Vogtland are entirely different springs. From what I understand, they're fairly popular in Europe and can be quite stiff. I saw that auction before I bought my set. But I knew that the Bilsteins were going to be stiff as it is, so decided against them and for the BavAuto springs.

Those are still a good price for springs, but it will depend on how comfortable of a ride you would like to maintain.

And just so you know, the manufacturer of BavAuto's springs, which are made in Germany, is the same company that makes BMW's OEM springs.

318tibimmer
07-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Personaly I have some H&R's - Very nice - I love the rid that it has, I got them used off a guy for $75, because he was going back to stock. They are orriginaly for a 328is, the modle that I have says that it will lower the car 2.5" in the front and 2" in the back - When I installed it did lower it a lot I now have to have someone lift on either fender to get a jack under it. I have not checked the clearance on it but I think that it lowered it only 2" in the front because the springs were for the 328is that had the bigger engine. I personaly don't have a problem with any bumps or bottoming out - just have to go slow over bumps and there is no problem.