PDA

View Full Version : Engine Shudder/shake

Unmei 21
08-04-2003, 04:36 AM
Hello Everyone. I am really glad that I came across this organization for the 318ti enthusiasts. I am just new, and very pleased to be able be a part of this org.

I got my 1995 318ti last November. I was impressed by the handling, performance, and everything. However, I have one concern that I would like to ask you guys about. I have been experiencing an engine shudder/shake when the car is driving slow and the gear only plays between 1st and 2nd gear (when I am stuck in traffic for example). It really happens when I am on first gear. I don't really know what's wrong - if it's the clutch or the gas.

If one of you have experienced the same problem, please let me know. I would like to hear from you, and know how you dealt with the problem.

Thank you very much.

Carlo

96cali
08-04-2003, 03:22 PM
Sorry I don't have a solution but maybe I can recommend a mechanic in Ohio. I'm in Cleveland. Where are you?

Unmei 21
08-04-2003, 04:00 PM
I am from Columbus, OH. Do you think what is going on with my car is pretty serious? I hope it won't cost me an arm and leg to have it fixed... :)

Thank you for the reply.

96cali
08-04-2003, 10:30 PM
You have an awesome DIY'er right there in Hilliard. His name is Chris Bethel. Check out his website at www.understeer.com. Nice guy, knows his stuff like few around. He does more modifications than maintanence (I think) but could for sure give you a short list of who around there might be good for fix its and other tuning. Good luck. Tell him Phil in Cleveland sent you.

fourbanger
08-05-2003, 09:17 AM
I had similar vibrations for a while.. have you looked at the engine mounts? I've broken four in as many months and you get that same feeling :)

eomalley
05-08-2004, 12:23 AM
I have experienced clutch chatter in 1rst and 2nd gears, especially when the car is cold. Bleeding the cutch lline eliminates it for a whlie. Up on jackstands it's not that bad of a job. The ckutch wants to be bled every couple of years. 96ti with 115k.

318tibimmer
05-15-2004, 12:48 AM
I would check your motor mounts and tranny mounts, if all is fine then I would have your clutch checked when the disk and pressure plate wear down the disk can start to rub on the flywheel bolts and cause the problem that you are having - I had the same problem with my clutch and then it started to slip, replace with M3 Flywheel and Clutch kit (it could also be the T/O Bearing)

J!m
05-17-2004, 02:26 PM
First item would be motor mounts, as mentioned.