PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE...what stock combo can I run?

cfraser
08-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Sorry if you've answered this a million times before but, uh here's one more ? I have a 95ti with the 15" 10 spokes. I would like to lower it with probably the H&R 2" drop springs. Which wheels off of which other BMW models can I use larger than the 15's I have now? Is this the cheaper way to go? I love the newer 3 series flat spoked rims (whatever), do they fit? What the hell is my bolt pattern? 5x114.3? Sorry I'm used to hondas! Also, what do you think I can get for my stock 15's in good shape with fairly new continentals on them?

Thanks,
Clint

bimmerboi318
08-07-2003, 11:01 PM
our bolt pattern is 5x120 and i got a set of nice 16" 5 spokes off of j!m. altough getting factory BMW wheels brand new i believe is much more expensive than an average aftermarket wheel. try tirerack.com they have a nice setup that shows your car with any type of wheel on it. and some of the prices arent too bad. probably the best around. then on ebay there are endless auctions for reproduction wheels that look just like the BMW ones. i havent seen firsthand the quality of them though...
just look around. they are all over the place. good luck!

oh yeah...i say save your 15's for a set of snow tires. that way you dont have to keep changing them back and forth every season.

cfraser
08-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the info. BTW I live in Southern California=No Snow! So I don't need my stocks! What size can I run and still lower the car? I know I can usually find someone selling their stock wheels off of a 325 or something for pretty cheap, what are the models that fit our bolt pattern? All 3 series? What years? 5 Series? M's? Any help would be great!

Thanks, Clint

1996 328ti
08-08-2003, 01:59 AM
I run 235x40x17 right now.
The car was lowered when I bought it and the tires just cleared. I was able to get my fingers between the fender and the wheel. They did rub slightly inside the front fender well at full lock but it wasn't an issue.

I now have springs from a 323ti Sport which brings it closer to stock ride height.

J!m
08-08-2003, 09:15 PM
I'm running 245-17's (M3 rear size) all around with no rubbing on the 7.5x17 M3 forged 5-spoke wheels. I have the M3 front suspension with offset bushings as well as the M caster tops. I think these will rub without the M3 bits. Using the later

I'm planning to run 275-17"s in the rear on 8.5x17 wheels. These may rub, or they may JUST clear. Perhaps a roll is in order. I'll let everyone know when I do it. The rear tires are pretty bald now...

FYI these are the Michelin Pilot Sports. Every brand of tire is slightly different in aspect even with the same numerical tire size. Everyone should keep this in mind, as what fits on a car with one tire brand may not fit at all in another tire brand, even with the same specified size.

Tire rack is excellent with listing actual tire dimensions. This is why I believe the 275's will fit- they are exactly one inch wider than the 245's, even though there are only 25.4mm in an inch. Mathematically, they should be over an inch wider, but the actual dimension is only one inch.

((RESEARCH))