PDA

View Full Version : Intake + O2 sensor...

Times
07-03-2009, 02:58 PM
So I had a check engine light on---which the code read P0130: Bank 1 Sensor 1 o2 sensor malfunction. Yesterday I installed the new PROT Boot & Intake bellow and now the check engine light has gone off--all by itself, no BMW key voodoo, just BAM! off.

Drove it to work and home, still no CEL light, +45 miles

Questions: Do I HAVE to install the new O2 sensor? Is the trouble code still in the ECU? Can I "just" clean my old O2 sensor?

MPWR
07-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Depends if the light comes back...

The code is still in the ECU- it needs to be cleared with a code reader. If you remind me, we can do that thursday evening.

Otherwise after clearing the code, if the light doesn't come back on you should be fine as you are. I wouldn't try cleaning the sensor, I understand that can be a good way to destroy them. But if the CEL is not dictating that you must change it now, save the new one for when you do need to change it.

spidertri
07-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Sweet, I guess maybe the extra air getting in past the MAF was changing the values from what the O2 sensor was expecting and the computer thought the sensor was bad. Aren't you glad you did the intake first?:wink:

MPWR
07-03-2009, 03:28 PM
If extra air was leaking in upstream of the MAF, that will mess things up. The engine is then running leaner than the ECU expects- so you can confuse the ECU, with the added risk of damaging the engine. It's a good idea to keep an eye on the condition of that rubber boot.

pnosker
07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I had a CEL that said O2 sensor when I had an intake leak. You might be ok.

Times
07-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeah I'm excited---if I can return the O2 sensor, then that's just more $$$ for other things. I'm going to wait until after the Meetup/Social. Thanks "MPWR"---I'll send a reminder like Wednesday.

I did find where the exhaust smell is coming from. The gasket between the manifold and the pipe to the cat. Very sad. A project for another day, unfortunately.