PDA

View Full Version : DISA mods

kmech
09-01-2003, 03:20 PM
This weekend I was brain storming the set up on the DISA valve and looking at the picture provide by the Bentley svc book, and I came up with this theory. (1) The vacum reservoir is just to delay or dampen the valve , If by bypassing the reservoir, the valve would be direct acting without any dampening. I feel the dampening is put in so most people that really dont drive their cars hard won't complain about a harsh engagement of the DISA. The Bently book states"The action of the valve is deliberately delayed to prevent it from opening and closing repeatedly within a short time." alas that is my take on the theory (2) Has anyone had the DISA out and bypassed the reservoir, it is part of the DISA assmebly. The computer only enegizes the vacum valve and thinks the valve is doing as told. thanks to any one that has attempts to help on this issue.

BlackM42
09-30-2003, 12:47 AM
Sorry I can't help, but I am certainly interested in this as you bring it up. I wonder if the delay was designed in to reduce wear on the valve itself, or is entirely devoted to smoothness of the switchover, as you said.

I'm going to crosspost this thread on BF.c and see if I come up with anything.

Fraser

kmech
09-30-2003, 02:54 AM
Hey thanks
Just to let you know this is on a m44 engine, I think the m42 is the same, just not really sure?thanks for trying to help Fraiser. This car is my brother inlaws and i own a 95 sho taurus , its also uses a dual runner set up but the controller for the runners in much easier to mod. its all external , and ill try diferent set ups with that one like no reservoir. I dont see the valve action being a wear issue it's set up with a soft rubber seal.
I had the valve out of the m44 already to really get a good look at, it 's sealed up except for the ck valve and vac supply too the the solenoid, sorry for being long winded ,just making sure on the theory first to reduce any problems...

Kevin O'Connor (mechanic)
Bert Huiest (owner)

kmech
10-16-2003, 04:13 AM
I've done the mod on my 95 SHO. It is now a torque monster. The computer is still in control of the short runners, now just very snappy on the engagement. now the really hard part finding a separate vacum solenoid due to the fact that the stock one is integral to the vaccum solenoid :lol: So now this is proof of my theroy, the computer calls for the short runner and now they are open now not on a slow delay ,and now producing more torque.

Kevin O'Connor (mechanic)
Bert Huiest (owner)