PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Seca Track Day

clex2
07-30-2009, 04:48 AM
I recently had the opportunity to participate in a track day at Laguna Seca. It was a Spec Miata tuning day with a smattering of other cars to help pay for the track. Besides miatas, there were a few P-cars, including a GT3-RS, S2000s, NSX's, Elises, Panoz race car and several BMW's. Even Robby Gordon of NASCAR fame showed up to do a shake down of a new chasis for the following weeks Infineon race. I had Jason Cammisa, one of the editors of Automobile Magazine ride shotgun with me for one of the sessions.

Here are a few pics:

tiFreak
07-30-2009, 04:56 AM
cool, that looks like a fun track to run

wolferj-RIP
07-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Great pics, Hope you had a great day... I would love to drive that track, as well as Sears Point (infineon). Just call me jealous.

Did you suprise anyone?

lkwd318ti
07-30-2009, 05:43 AM
damn that roll cage on the Z3 looks high hahah, maybe it's just me.
I like the shot of your car on what I believe is on the corkscrew...

familytruckster
07-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm very jealous! Looks like a ton of fun.

Closest I've come to driving my ti (or any car for that matter) there is the Grand Turismo series.....

clex2
07-31-2009, 05:33 AM
Great pics, Hope you had a great day... I would love to drive that track, as well as Sears Point (infineon). Just call me jealous.

Did you suprise anyone?

Actually, it was one of the slowest cars in my run group. It was the advanced run group with a turbo NSX, GT3 RS, Panoz, gutted SUPER HIGH roll cage M roadster, and R1 compund sec miatas (super fast in the turns). They M Roadster guy had the bar made extra high because he fliped the car once before getting the bar a had a near death experience. He wanted to be extra safe.

What was revealed was that the balance of the car is not ideal with 56/44 % F/R weight distibution and narrower front tires ( 245 R vs 225 F). It's fine for the street, but the track needs 245's all around, even 235's would be better. There was a decent amount of push which limited my turn exit speed.

Motor ran flawlessly and the Brembos never faded.

Also, I had recently put on a set of the new Bridgestone R-11's. They held up well and had amazing grip, but they really showed how poorly a firm and sporty street suspension set up sucks on the track. Since this is primarily a street toy, it's fine for what I usually do with the car, but for any serious track work, the suspension would need to be redone. I rode with a guy with a track setup S2000 and that thing was literally a full sized go kart.

Anyway, I'm trying to get some of the in car video up. As soon as I do, I'll let you guys know.

XRSMat
08-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Nice track you ad I think, and corkscrew is hard to take?