PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 318ti

SublimeBri
11-09-2003, 12:56 AM
I am roughly weeks away from installing a mosselman turbo kit on my 98 ti and I wanted to know if anyone else out there has the kit installed on there ti? IF so, post some pictures. I want to see what the end result will look like. I already know a power increase is to be expected...

:D

graphik
12-29-2003, 06:25 PM
can the boost be increased on this kit? also how much does the kit cost?

KIRASIR
12-30-2003, 04:04 AM
You can increase the boost but the fuel system, software, internals need to be upgraded. The kit used to go on Ebay a while back for around 2k.

sL

can the boost be increased on this kit? also how much does the kit cost?

graphik
12-30-2003, 07:50 PM
how does the DASC kit compare to this in price/performance.

m3rty98
01-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Ill try to post some pics this weekend. dont have enough light after work and the pics come out too dark. Are you installing it yourself? It took me a whole weekend to install fri -sun, roughly 26 hrs. the hardest part is taking off the exhaust manifold and to cut and weld the exhaust tubing. But it was nice to have my brothers car to look at while installing since he had already had it installed. Good luck and look for pics around sat.

Budget M3
01-08-2004, 03:46 AM
graphik--

I believe the "out of the box" advertised power difference between the turbo and DASC is as follows:

turbo ~190hp
DASC ~210hp

Torque difference is relatively comparable.

However, these numbers are with no other mods, low pressure (~6-8psi) and stock software (can you even run the turbo with stock software?). The basic DASC kit comes with an auxiliary fuel pressure regulator (AFPR) which allows use of the stock DME software, but you can buy a sofware upgrade from Nick G. on Bimmerforums that will eliminate this and let the computer directly command the fuel delivery. Other than that and larger injectors, the only other option to tune the DASC is a pulley that will turn a little faster giving you more boost (up to 10psi?). There are no other options for additional tuning of the DASC that I am aware of. My understanding is that the turbo offers more possibilities for much higher power in the long term since it can be tuned for much higher boost levels.

I looked into turbo vs supercharger extensively before purchasing my DASC (~$3000 on a group buy). Ease of install (~10 hours for DASC) and long term support and reliability won out in my case, but if you have the expertise to do the install yourself you can't really go wrong either way!

Check out the FI Forum on Bimmerforums.com for all the dialog you can read on the turbo vs. SC debate. There is a lot of M3 debate in this forum, too, but just do a search for DASC and you'll get what you need...

Good luck!

graphik
01-08-2004, 05:45 AM
thanks for all that great information!!

alex

m3rty98
01-09-2004, 10:01 PM
i think that turbo is a better way to go some guy on bimmerforums has a 300hp 318is with internal modifications and turbo setup for the eclipse turbo upgrades. The only thing about this kit that your buying is that its a starter kit and if you want it to run great youll have to do some upgrades. like fuel regulator, blow off valve, spark plug wires, water cooling, software. but with all that youll be faster that a new 330.