PDA

View Full Version : suspension install

graphik
12-19-2003, 06:15 AM
im planning on installing new shocks and springs next week. are there any special tools i will need? i know i will need some spring compressors, but any other special tools? thanks for the help!

alex

saxman0321
12-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Other than the spring compressor, all you will need is simple sockets like a 13mm, 18mm... It's not too bad of a job, just take your time and make sure everything is seated correctly and torqued down properly.

graphik
12-19-2003, 02:57 PM
is the bentley manual necessary for this install?

saxman0321
12-19-2003, 07:51 PM
I think the Haynes manual explains it well enough if you have one of those. They are a but cheaper and easier to come by, but not as extensive as the Bentley manual. Bentley is the way to go if you're willing to shell out the extra $50 or so. It's not a very difficult job, those manuals explain it well.

bimmerboi318
12-19-2003, 10:51 PM
yeah the only problem i had was that my spring compressor was a piece of junk and didnt compress the springs enough. either that or i did it wrong. but it went pretty easily. the back was super easy. shocks can be replaced in like 20 minutes. not sure for springs. i only did shocks.

m3rty98
01-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Just installed my springs I got a good deal on some maxspeeds ($0) my brother had them from his 318is and never installed so I just took them since he sold his car. Its a very simple process . it took me around an hour to do all 4 wheels. Well it helps when you have 2 jacks, impact gun and instead of a spring compressor I used some clamps. it droppe the car around 1.5" all around.

graphik
01-15-2004, 08:27 PM
yeah i got mine done this weekend, it was my first suspension install. good experience, i installed the bav auto spring and bilstein sports.

alex

L84THSKY
10-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Let me know how you like the BAV springs and Bilstein Sports. I also just bought a set of 17" rims. If the install isn't that bad, I will probably try it myself.

yeah i got mine done this weekend, it was my first suspension install. good experience, i installed the bav auto spring and bilstein sports.

alex

tiPilot
10-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Let me know how you like the BAV springs and Bilstein Sports. I also just bought a set of 17" rims. If the install isn't that bad, I will probably try it myself.

I also have the 17" rims with 225 17 45 tires. I was thinking about doing springs next. Have you done this yet? Are you rubbing inside the wheel wells? good luck.

bimmerboi318
10-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Are you rubbing inside the wheel wells? good luck.

My stock wheels rubbed the inside of my wheelwells. I have nice shiny metal whoing where the tire hits.

mikep
10-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Following your thread, it appears that you can have an interference problem following the installation of new springs (lowering the car 1.5").

The local BMW speciality shop and I have been discussing the installation of sport performance Bilstein struts, shocks and springs package. Lowers the car approx 1.5".

I have alloy 15" wheels, with the std suspension and was looking to improve the hadling in order to mimic the BMW's M-tec package. The speciality shop recommended the bilstein sport upgrade and said that it would handle better then the M-tec.

I am curious what results other owners have had with this type of upgrade:
Is there an interference problem with the std alloy 15" wheels?
Is the car prone to striking the curb when parking?
Was the price (approx $700 for parts) worth the handling improvement ( Irregardless, I am in need of shocks and struts).
Is adviseable to go for the optional 16" wheels?

The goal is to get a handling characteristics similar to the M-tec package. I do not plan to auto cross or take the car to the track; I enjoy spirited driving and BMW handling.

Any advice- recommendations will be appreciated.

R/ Mike P
1995, 318ti, a/t, 88,400mi

L84THSKY
10-21-2004, 03:43 PM
I actually just bought the rims, haven't installed them yet. Still not sure exact size tires I wanna put on them. I'm leaning towards 215/45/17, since they make that size in the tire I want.....Dunlop SP8000. I won't be installing the wheels till the spring, don't wanna mess them up in during the NY winter pothole season.

I also have the 17" rims with 225 17 45 tires. I was thinking about doing springs next. Have you done this yet? Are you rubbing inside the wheel wells? good luck.

L84THSKY
10-21-2004, 03:48 PM
What size wheels and tires are you using with this spring and shock combination? I wanna be sure the 17" rims I bought with 215/45/17 tires will not have any problems. How much did the shock/spring combo lower the car, any rubbing?

alex

tiPilot
10-21-2004, 04:03 PM
What size wheels and tires are you using with this spring and shock combination? I wanna be sure the 17" rims I bought with 215/45/17 tires will not have any problems. How much did the shock/spring combo lower the car, any rubbing?

I don't have the lowering springs but I do have the bilstein sports. It handles so well but not so tight that I am bounced around either. My tires and rims are 225 45 17's I think I might just stay with stock height.

KIRASIR
10-21-2004, 05:21 PM
If you are not planning to auto-x or track driving consider getting the following:

BMW 318ti Sport Package springs
Bilstein Sports
and 17 wheels

The springs can be found for 50-100USD(used on ebay or this forum).

The wheel rubbing will only occur if you get rims with an improper offset. My rear is 2"+ lower than stock and my front used to be the same. I never had any rubbing with 225/45/17 wheels. As long as the offset is around 40mm you should be fine.

Keep in mind that the lower you go the more pain in the A$$ driving on the street will become.

Once you have the springs/shocks/wheels combo installed and some more budget, get either sport sway bars or aftermarket adjustable ones like Eibach.
Then you'll be all set with a ride that handles better than the Sport package, and can still take daily potholes and speed bumps.

SL

Following your thread, it appears that you can have an interference problem following the installation of new springs (lowering the car 1.5").

The local BMW speciality shop and I have been discussing the installation of sport performance Bilstein struts, shocks and springs package. Lowers the car approx 1.5".

I have alloy 15" wheels, with the std suspension and was looking to improve the hadling in order to mimic the BMW's M-tec package. The speciality shop recommended the bilstein sport upgrade and said that it would handle better then the M-tec.

I am curious what results other owners have had with this type of upgrade:
Is there an interference problem with the std alloy 15" wheels?
Is the car prone to striking the curb when parking?
Was the price (approx $700 for parts) worth the handling improvement ( Irregardless, I am in need of shocks and struts).
Is adviseable to go for the optional 16" wheels?

The goal is to get a handling characteristics similar to the M-tec package. I do not plan to auto cross or take the car to the track; I enjoy spirited driving and BMW handling.

Any advice- recommendations will be appreciated.

R/ Mike P
1995, 318ti, a/t, 88,400mi

L84THSKY
10-21-2004, 05:34 PM
I'm wondering whether I should install the Bilstein sport shocks with the 17" rims, then decide on upgrading springs. I imagine the 215/45/17 wheels will give it a more aggressive look, but is a set of lowering springs also needed? Since I don't have the 17" wheels on the car yet, I can't even see what the wheel upgrade will do by itself. If I attempted to put the shocks in myself, and later wanted to add the springs, am I making things harder on myself. I imagine that the springs don't go around the shocks, so I can replace the springs without having to mess with the shocks.

I don't have the lowering springs but I do have the bilstein sports. It handles so well but not so tight that I am bounced around either. My tires and rims are 225 45 17's I think I might just stay with stock height.

96cali
10-21-2004, 06:55 PM
The front springs do indeed go around the shocks. Stick yer nose in your front wheel well and you'll see the setup. The rears are not shock mounted.
Ideally shocks should be replaced and matched to any lowering spring- they are not mix and match compatible. Koni makes 2 different replacement shocks- one sport, one base because of this. If you go from 15" rims to 17" without changing your spring height it looks goofy because the wheel gap is now larger than the sidewall height of your tire. Looks like you're a 4x4 all jacked up. Throw on 2 of those 17's, step back and judge for yourself.

Kirasir- do you have 17" wheels with the OEM sport springs? I have not seen that combo. Curious how it looks from the side. Got pics we can see?

L84THSKY
10-21-2004, 07:20 PM
In the spring, I will put the 17" rims with either 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 tires, and see how they look. The Bilstein sports and Bav Auto springs will probably then be done together. Now I need to research the difficulty in doing it myself. I do tune-ups, brakes and oil changes, but never attempted shocks and or springs.

The front springs do indeed go around the shocks. Stick yer nose in your front wheel well and you'll see the setup. The rears are not shock mounted.
Ideally shocks should be replaced and matched to any lowering spring- they are not mix and match compatible. Koni makes 2 different replacement shocks- one sport, one base because of this. If you go from 15" rims to 17" without changing your spring height it looks goofy because the wheel gap is now larger than the sidewall height of your tire. Looks like you're a 4x4 all jacked up. Throw on 2 of those 17's, step back and judge for yourself.

Kirasir- do you have 17" wheels with the OEM sport springs? I have not seen that combo. Curious how it looks from the side. Got pics we can see?

tiPilot
10-21-2004, 11:29 PM
thanks to all for the advice. Any feedback on what you think my car looks like without lowering it would be nice. I have a couple of pics posted in the gallery.

L84THSKY
10-22-2004, 04:28 AM
The car doesn't look bad in the "after" pic. I guess most car are supposed to have some of the wheel hidden from view by the wheel well, when properly lowered. If it rides nice, then that's all that matters.

thanks to all for the advice. Any feedback on what you think my car looks like without lowering it would be nice. I have a couple of pics posted in the gallery.

KIRASIR
10-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Sorry can't find any pictures right now but it's definitely less of an SUV than with regular Base/Active springs.. I have a stock 96 Sport ti and 96 Active with 17" wheels and MCoupe H&R coilovers.

The picture is a 96 Sport with Bilsteins and Sport springs (stock 16" rims).

SL