PDA

View Full Version : Would a Dice Kit for ipod work in my 2001 318ti?

marco318ti
09-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Hi guys,

This is my first post in the forum as I just bought my car less than a month ago. I don't have yet any mods in it, though I'm thinking of adding an aux in/ipod adapter as a kickoff. From the "research" I've been doing on the web I found that the DICE kit seems to be a good solution as it seems pretty easy to install. However, I'm not quite clear on the compatibility with my Head Unit as my car doesn't seem to have the trunk pre-wire. This thread seems to confirm it's possible (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20020) but a double-check with you wouldn't do harm. :wink:

I must mention that I'm not very skillful in DYI, but I'm willing to learn as much as possible. I actually bought the car with almost no specs to undertake myself a journey of improvements.

Anyway, any advice about the compatibility of the Dice with my HU, or any other similar options would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Marco

tiFreak
09-28-2009, 11:09 PM
welcome to the site, all ti's come pre-wired for the CD changer so you should be fine

L84THSKY
09-28-2009, 11:34 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/DICE-SilverLine-BMW-iPod-Adapter-Interface-Kit-New_W0QQitemZ140343685527QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ad22b197&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hi guys,

This is my first post in the forum as I just bought my car less than a month ago. I don't have yet any mods in it, though I'm thinking of adding an aux in/ipod adapter as a kickoff. From the "research" I've been doing on the web I found that the DICE kit seems to be a good solution as it seems pretty easy to install. However, I'm not quite clear on the compatibility with my Head Unit as my car doesn't seem to have the trunk pre-wire. This thread seems to confirm it's possible (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20020) but a double-check with you wouldn't do harm. :wink:

I must mention that I'm not very skillful in DYI, but I'm willing to learn as much as possible. I actually bought the car with almost no specs to undertake myself a journey of improvements.

Anyway, any advice about the compatibility of the Dice with my HU, or any other similar options would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Marco

marco318ti
09-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for your fast reply!
Though, I couldn't find the cd changer wiring under the boot carpet... but I'll keep digging...

On the other hand, I'm thinking about going for an aftermarket radio as I find that the OEM radio is sort of outdated by now... and given that the difference between ipod/aux adapters and aftermarket radios is not that big. Besides it would be nice to adapt a remote control on my steering wheel... (I've the most basic 318ti edition!)

Although I'm still thinking about it as I've read somewhere that aftermarket radio installation could be tricky...:confused:

tiFreak
09-30-2009, 02:50 AM
oh wait, you're not in the US, I know all US-spec ti's came prewired, not sure about Europe

marco318ti
09-30-2009, 07:26 AM
No, I'm not in the US... I'm in Switzerland...

although, not having the cd changer pre-wiring don't you think that means that then I might face less complications if going for an aftermarket unit?

I'll update some pictures of my car soon... cheers,

m.

tiFreak
10-01-2009, 03:37 AM
the only thing less complicated about installing an aftermarket headunit when you aren't pre-wired is that it's one less wire to plug in, but I'm pretty sure most aftermarket headunits won't support the factory CD changer anyway

MikeAlley
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestion I had also the same Q ?