PDA

View Full Version : M50 non-vanos swap???

tborr2
01-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey everyone,
first off I just got a great deal on an M50 from a guy on bimmerforums, it is from a 92 325(non-vanos). and I will be putting it into my 95 ti. It came with the engine, tranny, and ecu/harness. I know I'm going to need to get a gauge cluster, radiator and front springs from the 325(I already have upgraded bilstein shocks for the 318 which I've noticed are the same part# for all e36's). So here are my questions
-what else will I need to complete this swap?

-am I going to have to do anything with the driveshaft and differential or will I be ok with what is on the car right now?

-when I'm switching the gauge cluster is there going to be any problems with the wiring or is it just a matter of switching the 2 clusters around?

-and finally what do you guys suggest for an exhaust? I was looking at getting a UUC system-U exhaust and just taking it in and having a muffler shop fit it to the 325 cat. Is this a good idea or no?

sorry for all the questions i just wanna make sure I have everything figured out before I get started with this. and all of your help will be appreciated :D
Thanks
Greg

1996 328ti
01-03-2004, 05:32 PM
The diff will be OK unless you track the car. My diff lasted a couple dozen weekends at the track. If you are going to track the car you should really have a diff made for a 6. Then you will also need to replace the half shafts among a few other things.

The instrument cluster fits right in.
You will have less issues with an OBD-I swap.

I'd suggest 325/328 vented rotors up front.
The driveshaft should bolt right up.
You might need a different transmission mount.

Exhausts, doesn't Superprint still make an exhaust for a 325ti?

A couple urls to look at
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html%5Fproject/332ti/
http://www.318ti.org/notebook/328ti/index.html
besides this forum

Budget M3
01-05-2004, 01:44 AM
Not sure if the Supersprint unit is still being made. You might be able to find it on closeout somewhere, though. The other option is to source an OEM exhaust for a 323ti which was made for the euro-only market. The exhaust manifold is basically the same for all the 6-cylinders, so it should bolt right up. If you don't have a source in Germany, any KNOWLEDGABLE BMW dealer or Bekker's Imports can order one for you. It'll probably be pretty expensive, though, and will take some time to ship from Europe. Also, it's not a performance exhaust, so it will be quiet and will not give you those few extra ponies or burble most folks are looking for.

If you decide to modify an aftermarket 325/328 exhaust, I'll make you a deal on a Bosal stainless steel unit. I bought it for my wife's 325i, but never installed it because she thought it "might be too loud". I'll let it go for $400 including shipping to WI. Email me if interested and I can send pics.

Good luck with your conversion! I'm sure you'll be very happy once the work is done and you are driving again!