PDA

View Full Version : Headlight blowing frenzy?

nowheretorun
01-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Replaced the 2 belts on my ti the other day, and had trouble with it shortly afterwards. I would turn on my headlights and the car would shut off.

Took it to a foreign repair place, and the guy said it was the alternator, and that it was overcharging the system. Sounded reasonable, maybe the new belt is putting more pressure on the alternator than before. Replaced the alternator.

Today, I went to turn my headlights on, and noticed there were no headlights, only the fogs. Car is still running. Checked the fuses - all ok. Thought maybe it was the relays. Tapped on them, but no difference.

Checked the high beams, and only 1 came on. Figured it might be the actual bulbs.

Put new bulbs in and everything worked. Somehow the overvoltage blew out 3 headlights at once. I would have thought the fuse would have blown first.

Steve
'95 318ti CS

2ndBimmer
01-13-2004, 02:28 AM
I had my highbeam fuses blow when I got my new headlights put in and i changed the highbeam bulbs from the standard 55w to 100 watters. I replaced the 7 amps with 15s and Ive been fine. I also had a lowbeam bulb die on me when an SUV in front of me kicked up a large chunk of stredded tire and hit me on the hood right above the light fixture. If you look close you can still see the tire print on my hood.