PDA

View Full Version : How long do radiators last?

DinanTi
01-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Hey,

I am wondering how long radiators nomally last? I have had a new one for about one year. This morning I pulled out of my driveway and pulled up on to the flat road ( My driveway is a decline). I sat it there to warm up. I came out about 4 mins later to find a blue fluid puddle under the front of my car. I looked under my hood and found antifreeze leaking on the side of the radiator. Later after the car had cooled down I checked the antifeeze level and it was almost at the bottom. So I ran out and bought some antifreeze. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused this?

Thanks,
:rolleyes: Scotty :twisted:

2ndBimmer
01-26-2004, 12:17 AM
Radiators ought to last for a long time. A decade or more, I would think.

Might this have something to do with the overflow valve? Something to consider.

1996 328ti
01-26-2004, 12:25 AM
A decade? Maybe if you don't drive it. ;)
Anything more than 60,000 miles you are living on borrowed time. The plastic inlet breaks.

Gee, 3 people from Maryland in a row.

DinanTi
01-26-2004, 01:03 AM
Hey

How should I go about finding the leak?

thanks,
:rolleyes: Scotty :shock:

1996 328ti
01-26-2004, 01:16 AM
The common problem seems to be at the upper plastic inlet. Another common problem can be a bad vent plug. There is one right on top of the radiator. Those can go bad. Only thing I can suggest is to clean it up real good and see where it is coming from. Maybe you just have a loose hose?

Other than that I can only suggest bring to an independent and having them do a pressure test.